Thread: A few enhanced ships

Able Seaman
    Puerto Rico

Log Entries
    Name
    Rolando

Default A few enhanced ships

I don't know what the practice is here when loading photos to our albums, but I just loaded a few of my (repainted, should I say?) enhanced ships. Mostly masts and sails and the borders of the flags.

Here's El Príncipe de Asturias and Sirena:

And HMS Amelia & HMS Africa:

Here's the whole album:
    https://sailsofglory.org/album.php?albumid=552

I recently finished HMS Victory, Diana, and L'Orient, but I gotta do a photoshoot for them yet...

–Rolando

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very neatly done Rolando. I always love to see the ships titivated in any way. It enhances their look if the
    major bits like masts and sails are touched up. I keep meaning to do more of my own ships, but never seem to get the time somehow.
    Keep up the good work.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nice repaint/ touch ups

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Nice job, the whole album looks great.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Good work, Rolando!

Able Seaman
    Puerto Rico

Log Entries
    Name
    Rolando

Thanks all! Here are three ships not yet uploaded!
    L'Orient!!

Beautiful Diana.

Aaaaand Victoire (traitorous translation!):

A few more shots in my album.

My HMS Victory came in a bit more saturated peach than her actual rendition at Portsmouth. I know she was recently down-painted thus from her previous yellows because it was found that she was actually flesh-toned and dark gray at Trafalgar. I'm guessing she was probably more vivid a year or two before, before sea and photo degradation of her paint, so I did the masts in the same color as the Ares hull was.

I haven't seen any of you guys' Victories in her flesh and dark gray yet! Anybody has her so painted?

–Rolando

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How would you feel about doing an illustrated article on your repaint step by step Rolando.
    Then I could put it in the "How to" section as an article for the would be up-graders from which to learn.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Must admit to not hearing of that colouring for HMS Victory

Here is a pic of mine

Able Seaman
    Puerto Rico

Log Entries
    Name
    Rolando

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    How would you feel about doing an illustrated article on your repaint step by step Rolando.
    Then I could put it in the "How to" section as an article for the would be up-graders from which to learn.
    Rob.
    Maybe I will! Next one I start, I'll try and take pics in the process.

Able Seaman
    Puerto Rico

Log Entries
    Name
    Rolando

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Must admit to not hearing of that colouring for HMS Victory

Here is a pic of mine

Yours and others I've seen here are yellower! I think they changed the paint scheme a bit between prints, so it would look exactly how it was at Trafalgar. I'm sure it was black and yellow in years before many times though! When I say "flesh", I mean the peachy pink it's currently painted with :) The black, I've read, was a dark dark grey, and it show well in contemporary photos:
    Name:  HMS Victory gray and flesh.jpg
Views: 7616
Size:  167.3 KB

So my take on it is that maybe the flesh used to be a more orangey yellow, and the dark grey, a black. Although in the book "The Golden Age of Sail", the Commerce de Marseille 1st-rate is listed as painted in dark grey and ochre yellow. So the dark grey was used as such.

–Rolando

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There is considerable discussion on this topic, as several contemporary accounts from Captains joining the Fleet just prior to the Battle mention Nelson asking them to paint their ships to conform with the rest of the Fleets yellow and black checkered pattern so as to be easily recognized by their fellow Captains. Not so likely that the Victory would be the odd one out.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The "yellow" of the time has been described as baby vomit by contemporary sources so I wouldn't bet on any bright yellows for the fleet.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    The "yellow" of the time has been described as baby vomit by contemporary sources so I wouldn't bet on any bright yellows for the fleet.
    Certainly not this colour then Jonas.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-21-2019 at 08:01.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm guessing there were many different colours. Uniform coat colours is a well debated topic where basically most shades were historically correct at some point. I'd argue that would be the case for paints for ships. That said, there's an exception for Russian ships of the period...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Dead right Jonas, sea, salt, wind and Sun. Wear and tear wait for no man as I know only too well.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    Puerto Rico

Log Entries
    Name
    Rolando

New painted ships, friends!

The French 80-gun Neptune:

The ex-Argonaut, now Spanish el Argonauta. A bit of black outlining on the bulwarks on her also, apart from the rigging painting:

And the HMS Bellerophon! As I don't have the Kickstarter models, I painted an HMS Bellona model over. I'll be posting the step by step photos later, Rob! (At last I got around to shooting each step.)

The Argonauta and Bellerophon were sprayed with matte finish to protect them, and came out well. I was scared as hell the plastic would not take the paint! I'll do it to all my boats later on. More views in my repaints album: https://sailsofglory.org/album.php?albumid=552

–Rolando

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very nice too Rolando.
    Everyone should have a Billy ruffian. I had to do the same as you to get mine.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

All very nice enhancements to the models.
    Visit "The Wargames Room":
    http://thewargamesroom.wordpress.com

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also good to hear from you again Keith after a while.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Thanks Rob. Life has been a little busy for a while. Finally managed a Sails of Glory game last night.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Know just how you feel Keith.
    We are having an extension and new kitchen put in, so my War room is a temp kitchen/store room.
    The last game of Sails I got was at Prague in April.Hoping to have the new all singing and dancing war room revamped by mid July.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Know just how you feel Keith.
    We are having an extension and new kitchen put in, so my War room is a temp kitchen/store room.
    The last game of Sails I got was at Prague in April.Hoping to have the new all singing and dancing war room revamped by mid July.
    Rob.
    House renovations are difficult to work around. For our part we have been building a new house for the last several months and tidying up the other in our spare time. We are very much now between two houses. I have vacated my gaming room but yet to set up the new one. I am hoping to have it operational in a few more weeks, once I have progressed some landscaping.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I know how you feel Keith.
    We only had three rooms to sort out and I will never see Grand Designs in the same light again. It is easy to see just why projects overrun by six months or more.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by pajaromuerto View Post
    New painted ships, friends!

The French 80-gun Neptune:

The ex-Argonaut, now Spanish el Argonauta. A bit of black outlining on the bulwarks on her also, apart from the rigging painting:

And the HMS Bellerophon! As I don't have the Kickstarter models, I painted an HMS Bellona model over. I'll be posting the step by step photos later, Rob! (At last I got around to shooting each step.)

The Argonauta and Bellerophon were sprayed with matte finish to protect them, and came out well. I was scared as hell the plastic would not take the paint! I'll do it to all my boats later on. More views in my repaints album:

–Rolando
    Nice & clear work Rolando

Able Seaman
    Puerto Rico

Log Entries
    Name
    Rolando

Thank you, Sven!