Thread: Fun Facts

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Fun Facts

Share something interesting and nautical!

I'll start:

The Great Lakes contain one fifth of the world's fresh water and have over 10,000 mile of shoreline. They're also big enough to create their own weather.
    Last edited by jasonb; 05-05-2019 at 02:47.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A comment about submarines from Dave on the Humour of the sea thread.

"Even if a submarine should work by a miracle, it will never be used. No country in this world would ever use such a vicious and petty form of warfare!"

William Henderson, British admiral(1914)

Thanks Dave.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Another submarine quote.

"The only thing that will happen is that the vessel will sink, and suffocate the crew"
    H. G. Wells, English writer(1902) (Submarines had been used since ca. 1850)

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

On March 20, 1779, Captain William Jones, commander of the Marine detachment aboard the Providence, placed an ad in the Providence Gazette:

"The Continental ship Providence, now lying at Boston, is bound on a short cruise, immediately; a few good men are wanted to make up her complement."

The famous phrase proved an effective recruiting slogan. The Providence set sail in June and, sailing east, encountered a convoy of British ships from Jamaica. The Providence took 11 prizes. After this cruise, Jones and his detachment were taken off the Providence in Charleston, South Carolina, in December 1779 to help man artillery batteries against an anticipated British assault on the city. Jones was captured in May 1780 when Charleston surrendered to the British and later paroled. He spent the final years of the American Revolution working in his family's hardware store in Providence, Rhode Island, but his advertisement had given the Marines one of their most famous descriptions.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There is some fun here, and also a salutary lesson to all you prospective Gun Captains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVD-P-77B24

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And this is the way the professionals do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pheBDj0SuP4

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

The growing prevalence of flush-decked ships in the late 18th and early 19th centuries was strongly influenced by the designs of Indian shipbuilders.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I was born 400 years to the day after Jacques Cartier dubbed the body of water he had sailed into the Gulf of St Lawrence.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

A point is 11.25 degrees on a compass rose. Four points equals 45 degrees. You can approximate one point by extending your arms and holding your hands side by side. From pinky to pinky is roughly 11.25 degrees or 1 point.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whatever will we learn next Dobbs! I had certainly not heard that one before.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The traditional toasts given by the junior Officer after Dinner aboard ship.

Sunday – To absent friends.
    Monday – To our ships at sea.
    Tuesday – To our men.
    Wednesday – To ourselves.
    Thursday – A bloody war or sickly season.
    Friday – A willing foe and sea room.
    Saturday – Our wives and sweethearts. (May they never meet)

In recent years the First Sea Lord changed Tuesday to our sailors, and Saturday to Our families in order to reflect the changing times. Fortunately in our century no such change change has as yet been envisaged.

Bligh.