Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Principio Iron Furnace

During the American Revolution, Principio was one of the few places in the Country (to be) that could produce cannon. It's a few miles from our house. It was burned by the British during the War of 1812.

I bought this fort from Brigade sans cannons, and have taken it upon myself to produce 32 pdrs for it. This is my prototype. I'm going to try to go smaller.

Name:  20190504_210524.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  167.3 KB

Name:  20190504_210555.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  156.0 KB

It's built with a bit of U-channel for the carriage and round rods for the wheels and barrel.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 05-04-2019 at 20:10.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I think I've finalized my design. The cannon in the foreground is the newest cannon.

Name:  20190505_102814.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  112.5 KB

To demonstrate my further reducing the size, the left one is the new one.

Name:  20190505_102707.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  123.3 KB

Name:  20190505_103058.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  118.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very impressive Dobbs.
    Those are just what every ship model converter needs to add verisimilitude to the upper deck especially if you can reduce them even more. Well done that man. Now about those upper deck Carronades?
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I also have that fort Dobbs so the guns you made are very interesting for me, I was goint to go to Langton but may now have a go myself

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I shall put up a "How To Make Very Small Big Cannons" shortly, including the plastic sizes I used. Do you folks on the other side of the Pond have access to the company Evergreen Plastics?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Now about those upper deck Carronades?
    Bligh.
    I think I could manage Nelson's 68 pdrs easily enough...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A How to would be very useful Dobbs.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Great tiny work!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Great modelling, Dobbs!

I did a Google search and found a company called 'Scale Model Shop', which stocks Evergreen Plastics materials. https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/pro...ount=24&page=3

So do Hattons https://www.hattons.co.uk/products/c...plastic-shapes

Nexus Modelling supplies https://www.nexusmodels.co.uk/buildi...-plastics.html

Waltons Models http://shop.waltonsmodels.co.uk/index.php?cPath=107_148

Elite Models https://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/...rgreen-Plastic

and probably many more.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 05-06-2019 at 10:48.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very useful Dave.
    I have added it to the Sticky Useful addresses.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I used to see Evergreen here in Sweden back in the time when railway model shops were still around. That hobby apparently moved to the internet.

I made carronades in my HMS Indefatigable rebuild. https://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3090-Raz%E9e

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210219_192830.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  167.9 KB

Principio is once again casting really tiny cannons. I've got enough for this fort and a martello tower in the works at the moment, but the big challenge is going to be supplying Ft McHenry, which is currently being on it's way across the Atlantic!

My Brigade Fort Lupin and guns came from Pico Armor here in the states

Name:  20150831_153402.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  120.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post

Principio is once again casting really tiny cannons. I've got enough for this fort and a martello tower in the works at the moment, but the big challenge is going to be supplying Ft McHenry, which is currently being on it's way across the Atlantic!
    Do you have a web address for them Dobbs?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Do you have a web address for them Dobbs?
    Rob.
    Sorry, Rob, I was afraid there might be some confusion. I make the little cannons from scratch with bits of plastic rod and channel. Principio Furnace is a historic ironworks across the way from my house that played a part in the AWI and 1812.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principio_Furnace

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210220_122018.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  128.3 KB

The battery continues to grow...note the cannon handling device in the background. Much time has been lost trying to find dropped 32 pounders among the dust bunnies of my workshop.

Name:  20210220_122018.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  128.3 KB

The battery continues to grow...note the cannon handling device in the background. Much time has been lost trying to find dropped 32 pounders among the dust bunnies of my workshop.
    I know what you mean there Dobbs. I fumble finger small parts all of the time and lose them. Sometimes I'll find one days or weeks later in the most unusual place and wonder how it could have traveled so far. Where did you get your fort Lupin?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right Dobbs.
    I knew you had been doing your own. Those look so good I just thought you had found a supplier.

I now have found the supplyer Dave suggested, Waltons Models http://shop.waltonsmodels.co.uk/index.php?cPath=107_148

My question now is what size of U do you use and what dia rod for barrels and wheels.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210220_164648.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  131.5 KB

Cannons in various stages of construction.

Name:  20210220_164620.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  159.9 KB

The parts used. 0.030" is the barrel. 0.020" makes the wheels.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dobbs.
    I will order some of those tomorrow.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Did your spellcheck help you, Vol? I can't find a reference for a Fort Lupin.

My fort came from Brigade Miniatures, Fort Louvois.

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/SmallScaleScenery/French Coastal Forts/SSS-8039.html

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Langtons also do that fort you are after at 1:1200.Vol. Would you like me to send you one? I have one myself and it looks good on the coast. Also found brigades Fort Lupin.

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Small.../SSS-8040.html

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-21-2021 at 08:48.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Aha! So that's Fort Lupin!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20210221_120409.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  143.2 KB

Here I tried painting a brass muzzle, but I don't think there's enough contrast. Plus, I imagine brass 32 pounders were probably kind of rare.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I believe that Admiralty Brass had a large quantity of Bronze added to prevent corrosion, but Dave Manley could probably put us right on that one Dobbs. I will look it up.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That did not take long.
    I found this Dobbs.

Another such material is gunmetal, from the family of red brasses. Gunmetal alloys contain roughly 88% copper, 8-10% tin, and 2-4% zinc. Lead can be added for ease of machining or for bearing alloys.

"Naval brass", for use in seawater, contains 40% zinc but also 1% tin. The tin addition suppresses zinc leaching.

A touch of redish brown ink wash should give you the right look on the brass barrel then.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is a bit on the Jamestown Bronze cannon too. A bit over oxidized for your needs though Dobbs. It does, however, make for an interesting read. I did not see it when we were in Jamestown.

https://www.historyisfun.org/exhibit...bronze-cannon/

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Ah, what a pleasure, reading about sakers. I did so much work making an Elizabethan sailing game before discovering SoG. Sakers, culverins, demi-culverins. Such a civilized time...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Our Regimental gun we used to have in the Sealed Knot was a Saker Drake.
    Rob.

Ah, what a pleasure, reading about sakers. I did so much work making an Elizabethan sailing game before discovering SoG. Sakers, culverins, demi-culverins. Such a civilized time...
    I once had an interest in Elizabethan sailing - Armadas and Sir Francis Drake! I downloaded a set of rules from The Perfect Captain called Spanish Fury: Sail. Free rules with paper ships. Sadly their website is down but the rules are available on their Facebook group:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamep...erfect-captain

Also I just bought a set called "War by Sail" which starts with Elizabethan warfare and goes through the War of 1812 with comprehensive lists for various periods.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...63%20to%201812.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I love the look of 16th and 17th ships, but when I think of sailing characteristics and firing rates, I think it would be hard to find willing playmates.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I well remember our Saker Drake getting off about one shot every two minutes, on land with no perceptable recoil. Not a good omen!
    Even the Frame gun only fired about once a minute.
    As for the sailing qualities of those early ships I will defer to your superior knowledge. all I have to go on are the reports of how badly the Spanish Armada faired against our ships and that may well be coloured in favour of the sailing characteristis of the British ships for political reasons!

Rob.

Did your spellcheck help you, Vol? I can't find a reference for a Fort Lupin.

My fort came from Brigade Miniatures, Fort Louvois.

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/SmallScaleScenery/French Coastal Forts/SSS-8039.html
    You are right Dobbs, I have both forts and mixed them up