Thread: Custom Smaller Ships

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Default Custom Smaller Ships

I'm interested in small ships like brigs and schooners (partly because I live on the Great Lakes), but I don't have the time or hobby skills to make my own. Is there anywhere to obtain such things?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You could PM Julián "Redcoat" Jason.
    He does commission work.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Jason, a few of us have made our own brigs by purchasing a SoG sloop of war chopping off the mizzen mast, moving the main mast forward a smidge and sticking a spanker from a Hebe on the back of the main. It's not that complicated a modification.

I am about to invest in casting supplies and one of my projects will be to cast Hebe spanker, which if I am satisfied, I'll make available to save folks on sacrificing Hebes.

If you want a picture of a finished brig, check out my Mosquito Fleet album in my photos.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Jason, a few of us have made our own brigs by purchasing a SoG sloop of war chopping off the mizzen mast, moving the main mast forward a smidge and sticking a spanker from a Hebe on the back of the main. It's not that complicated a modification.

I am about to invest in casting supplies and one of my projects will be to cast Hebe spanker, which if I am satisfied, I'll make available to save folks on sacrificing Hebes.

If you want a picture of a finished brig, check out my Mosquito Fleet album in my photos.

Those are some fine looking vessels!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are indeed, and I had completely forgotten them Dobbs.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

There is a couple of War1812 boats available on Shapeways, a couple of smaller vessels, the designer and owner is a forum member, but she not posted for a while.
    The boats come in kit form plus interchangable masts to make a few different types

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They look pretty good Chris. Especially those Swash and Buckle hulls. Could certainly do a lot with those.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I was looking at those, but I don't actually have paints or anything. At the moment, I am fully at the mercy of the creative energies of others.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I ran across some great looking 1/1200 models from GHQ Micronauts, but again unpainted. They have xebecs for those who are interested.

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/milit...icronauts.html

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks as if there are some good candidates for conversion there Jason.
    It's a pity you don't paint your own. Any reason putting you of trying it out?
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I don't really have the time, money, or energy to invest in a new hobby at this point. I'm a stay-at-home dad of a one year-old, a musician, and a grad student who's way behind on writing his PhD dissertation. I actually did pick up a Micronauts model and am having a friend paint it for me, so we'll see how that goes.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very good reasons all Jason.
    I had quite forgotten what it is like to have a growing family and actual work to do as well.
    What type of music do you play?
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Very good reasons all Jason.
    I had quite forgotten what it is like to have a growing family and actual work to do as well.
    What type of music do you play?
    Rob.
    I play Irish music, as well as the traditional old-time music from my part of the United States.