So I started my rookieness with Sails of Glory and played the starting frigates with my girlfriend, and later today we're doing the 3rd rates :)

Anyways, I noticed the masts are painted in a lemon yellow, which I'm feeling was not a pigment in use back then. I was under the impression that all yellows were more ochre, Naples Yellow, warm yellows. A quick search would hint that I'm right:

"The pigment known commonly as "lemon yellow" could consist of barium chromate, strontium chromate, or a
mixture of lead chromate with lead sulphate. The preparation was described by Vauquelin in 1809, but some years seem to have passed before it was produced commercially. During the nineteenth century, it was often mixed with strontium chromate, and the name 'lemon yellow' was liable to be used for barium chromate, strontium chromate and a mixture of the two."

...So that would make lemon (cool) yellow available from say, 1812 on only... As I'm gonna paint the sails and yards and masts later on, I'd like your input on this color. It looks pretty and I like yellow, but the historical geek within me, you know...

–Rolando

Name:  Lemon yellow masts.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  229.7 KB