Thread: French Froggy Frigates!

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Default French Froggy Frigates!

We got to be French today, and had a fun little action!

The report is on my blog at THIS LINK

Name:  PICT6653.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  258.6 KB

I hope you enjoy it!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Once again an action that proves the importance of getting in that first broadside without a reply.
    Good show Richard.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

French victory.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Default Vive les Francaises!

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    French victory.
    Its about time our French friends had a victory, RN supremacy is too much a given!

Thanks for the kind comments mes amis!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Richard, do I understand correctly that you and your friend played one side and your AI played the other?

It is such an intriguing idea for me. I don't know what it says about my character, but if I have a friend across the gaming table, my first suggestion is that we try and blow each other up, not work together....

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I will have to give this AI a try.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whilst I am teaching Captain Kiwi a new rule or strategy we normally play against AI. That gives me more time to show him the tricks of the trade. if we are playing a normal game we take opposite sides either with AI partners or not as we see fit.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Yes, Phil still has trouble remembering the rules at times and is not confident moving in relation to the wind, that is where the AI is a good opponent, as Mr Bligh says!
    In this game, the AI rolled some extreme results at the beginning, which gave us the advantage. It doesn't always act so kind!
    We often play multi players against the AI for an easy game, or to even up a game if we have 3 players, the AI plays the extra ship.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Another nice report there Richard, thanks for posting.
    I dont use frigates often, I always find the British a bit flimsy with the Amazons having a burden of two.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Another nice report there Richard, thanks for posting.
    I dont use frigates often, I always find the British a bit flimsy with the Amazons having a burden of two.
    Cheers! Yes, I always think Burden is under costed, as it really makes ships more survivable in a fire-fight, especially at long range. At shorter range, those orange chits have more big damage chits, making burden less significant.
    British frigates really need to get the first shot in, to make use of their slight advantage in broadside.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thanks for the insights into the AI, guys.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, to even things out with the Amazons, I have increased their Burden to 3 since historically they are roughly the same tonnage as the Concordes. I also switched their decks, making the Concordes the faster of the two classes. That gives the French the speed advantage and the British a slight broadside advantage. Here's a list of changes I've made:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...ned-and-others
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-16-2018 at 07:49.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Very well described and the photos are great. Thanks for sharing.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Thanks for the insights into the AI, guys.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, to even things out with the Amazons, I have increased their Burden to 3 since historically they are roughly the same tonnage as the Concordes. I also switched their decks, making the Concordes the faster of the two classes. That gives the French the speed advantage and the British a slight broadside advantage. Here's a list of changes I've made:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...ned-and-others
    Yes, I have seen your comments elsewhere Dobbs, I just not got around to redoing my mats and ship cards as yet. But like that idea

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am certainly going to give my amazons that tweak. As I read it in many authoritative journals the French Frigates were light fast and sleek, whilst the British were bluff, more weatherly, and stronger, but slower.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Were do I find the AI rules? It strikes me that there were two different options?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Richard, Herkybird has a set of Solo movement rules which we use if that is what you mean Dobbs.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Richard, Herkybird has a set of Solo movement rules which we use if that is what you mean Dobbs.
    Rob.
    Thanks, Rob, that was what I meant. I found them on his website and downloaded them. They look interesting and well thought out. I shall give them a try.