Thread: Ship logs and Terrain?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Default Ship logs and Terrain?

Were the packs of ship logs, terrain, and forts ever reprinted? I'm back from a few months hiatus and I remember they were supposed to be put back out in the summer?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, they were reprinted, Joseph. Keith has them for sale in the Anchorage Store. They do not seem to have got through to retailers here in the U.K. yet. I do not know what the situation is like regarding U.S. retailers.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Amazon have one Ship mat and about five terrain mats at the moment, and I just ordered four packs from Gamesquest.

Rob..
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Wonderful! Time to stock up for the future

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly is Joseph.
    Quite apart from the ones I bought from the Anchorage Store, I got four more packs. Two from Amazon and two from Gamesquest.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

How many pieces of the terrain do you find yourself using in a match? Im grabbing two sets of ship mats, but terrain I'm not sure if I should get 2...or just go crazy!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

I normally use a two mat setup and two terrain + one coastal batteries is more than enough to fill one side completely even with a fairly large island in the middle. The biggest problem for me is they are quite repetative

Name:  AA75055A-162F-45A0-BF9C-957B4A23A2D2.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  168.1 KB

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Love it, looks great! Sad to see the mats arnt for sale, but I ended up making these! Name:  IMG_20181205_194252_01.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  235.1 KB

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

They look every bit as good.

To explain what’s going on in my picture, the near centre ship is the recently captured ‘Le Berwick/Swiftsure’ at anchor and under repair. It does not have a ship log. It is guarded by coastal forts and two Spanish frigates. An English unit of two frigates and a ship sloop have arrived and one of them will attempt to recapture the 74. If an English ship can get alongside and remain afloat for two turns the 74 is captured and will sail out following the English ships maneuvers at a distance of two base lengths. It will not be able to fight back against any Spanish attempt to sink burn or recapture it. (Not enough prize crew plus prisoners to watch). Needless to say this has no historical basis.
    Last edited by Bilge Rat; 12-05-2018 at 19:17.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

I love it, looks great. I think I may need to do this scenario, I love the idea of having to rescue a captured prize. The above for me is Algeciras. French need to get into the bay to win scenario one, then escape the map to win scenario 2

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I bought a set of coastal mats and then produced my own 3D coastline using them as templates for both sides of the mirror images that you get. Later I added some of my own coast such as the Multi functional sea port and some deeper bays and fortifications. There were not sufficient large fort mats to support larger actions and the Battle of Valdivia with four large forts and a small one really taxed me so I now have two sets of the Coastal pack mainly for the mats.
    Re ship mats I decided that with shows and the need for a variety of ships needed I would get a ship mat for every ship, mainly so that each ship could have its own set of action chits in the box with it. This has meant a lot of mat purchases over the years, and in hindsight would have been better if I had just kept a box with packs of chits in it.
    You really only need enough mats and chits for the maximum number of ships that you intend to use, plus a couple for spares and lost chits.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by InjunJ03 View Post
    Love it, looks great! Sad to see the mats arnt for sale, but I ended up making these! Name:  IMG_20181205_194252_01.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  235.1 KB
    To be honest, I like your mats better than the official ones. No silly lines all over them and no unsightly joins where sections come together.
    Nicer set up all round Joseph.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Although the official mats are nice to have, for collection completeness, but like Rob,
    I tend to use other mats both at shows and my local club.
    I have two mats, one being a dark blue table cover which acts as deep water, while the other is a commertially made one and donated by the makers to show off their wares and the ships in use.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Could you post a picture of that mat from the makers at the show.
    It is the best one that I have seen Chris.
    If i was not already fixed up I would get one.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Rob did you model all your 3D terrain yourself, or purchase it somewhere? And yes Chris, I'd love to see that mat from the makers.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Joseph, Rob made his own coastline. He shows how he did it in this thread from The Chippy Shop part of the Forum. https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...on-in-sequence

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Looks great thanks. I'm guessing all the buildings, ports, forts, trees are purchased?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Some forts are from manufacturers. Julien does very nice forts. Others are scratch built.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2018 at 04:17.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Could you post a picture of that mat from the makers at the show.
    It is the best one that I have seen Chris.
    If i was not already fixed up I would get one.
    Rob.
    Here is a link to the company, the mat I have is the sea mat, second mat down on the picture.

https://www.tinywargames.co.uk/sea

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now you are just trying to tempt me Chris.
    Bye the way you just passed our esteemed Sea Lord in the number of posts made.
    Bit below the belt with him in Haslar and all.
    Bligh.