Thread: Ship Duel Packs ?

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default Ship Duel Packs ?

Here's another completely uncalled for suggestion -- ship duel packs similar to the ones for Wings. It could match two ships that had historical ship to ship combats. My suggestion (request) would be a pack containing the HMS Shannon and the USS Chesapeake. Ideas for other classic match ups ???

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hms Pearl 32 gun Niger class frigate v Santa Monica Spanish 26 gun frigate, 1779

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

29th of May 1794.

HMS Carysfort, 28 vs French Frigate Castor 32.

That also gets us a 28.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If I remember correctly, this has been suggested before and the objection at that time was the need to include the rules, all the damage decks and two ship control mats with counters. There would be less saving on contents compared with the savings in the aeroplane packs.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Perhaps there could be a section in the Anchorage listing duels, their backstory, and how to tweak our existing ships?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

They could be sold as expansion sets, not to include rules chits etc, as an expansion you need to own a base set to use
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 11-26-2018 at 14:20.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That was what I thought was the idea Chris.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds like a job for the Stats Committee Dobbs.
    We put forward our choices here with the back story and the Stats com looks for best fit.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    They could to sold as expansion sets, not to include rules chits etc, as an expansion you need to own a base set to use
    That was my conception of it as well.
    B.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I own one of the Wings of Glory duel packs and would welcome a similar product for Sails of Glory. The duel packs would give the opportunity to add some more of the frigates to the US fleet such as Constellation vs Insurgente, President vs Endymion, United States vs Macedonian, Chesapeake vs Shannon, etc. I am less familiar with the British versus French duels, but I am sure there are additional options in that realm also (I have just picked up Commander, the biography of Edward Pellew, but haven't read it yet).

The duel packs could also give us additional captain cards to sweeten the pot. I would dearly like to see historical figures like Decatur, Hull, Broke, Pellew, etc.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is my backstory.

HMS Carysfort, 28 vs French Frigate Castor 32.

Name:  300px-Capture_of_the_Castor.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  17.7 KB
    Capt
    ure of the Castor, May 29th 1794, Thomas Whitcombe, 1816

The frigate action of 29 May 1794—not to be confused with the much larger fleet action of 29 May 1794 that took place in the same waters at the same time—was a minor naval engagement of the French Revolutionary Wars between a Royal Navy frigate and a French Navy frigate. The action formed a minor part of the Atlantic campaign of May 1794, a campaign which culminated in the battle of the Glorious First of June, and was unusual in that the French ship Castor had only been in French hands for a few days at the time of the engagement. Castor had previously been a British ship, seized on 19 May by a French battle squadron in the Bay of Biscay and converted to French service while still at sea. While the main fleets manoeuvered around one another, Castor was detached in pursuit of a Dutch merchant ship and on 29 May encountered the smaller independently cruising British frigate HMS Carysfort.

Captain Francis Laforey on Carysfort immediately attacked the larger ship and in an engagement lasting an hour and fifteen minutes successfully forced its captain to surrender,
    discovering a number of British prisoners of war below decks. Castor was subsequently taken back to Britain and an extended legal case ensued between the Admiralty and Captain Laforey over the amount of prize money that should be awarded for the victory. Ultimately Laforey was successful, in part due to testimony from the defeated French captain, proving his case and claiming the prize money. The lawsuit did not harm Laforey's career and he later served at the Battle of Trafalgar and became a prominent admiral.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDog7 View Post
    I own one of the Wings of Glory duel packs and would welcome a similar product for Sails of Glory. The duel packs would give the opportunity to add some more of the frigates to the US fleet such as Constellation vs Insurgente, President vs Endymion, United States vs Macedonian, Chesapeake vs Shannon, etc. I am less familiar with the British versus French duels, but I am sure there are additional options in that realm also (I have just picked up Commander, the biography of Edward Pellew, but haven't read it yet).

The duel packs could also give us additional captain cards to sweeten the pot. I would dearly like to see historical figures like Decatur, Hull, Broke, Pellew, etc.
    Richard -- I agree wholeheartedly -- BTW I have said in another thread on this site that I really believe there is a thriving North American market for War of 1812 products from Ares. However being a European company they may have a Euro-centric marketing approach.
    Bill

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If they are expansion sets, then great!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

HMS Speedy -vs- El Gamo - Would get us our missing 32 gun Xebec

U47 vs. HMS Royal Oak

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    U47 vs. HMS Royal Oak
    Not quite what we are looking for my dear Comte. Unless this is one of Mr Fulton's submersibles.
    Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    HMS Speedy -vs- El Gamo - Would get us our missing 32 gun Xebec
    Needs your backstory added please Michael.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Not quite what we are looking for my dear Comte. Unless this is one of Mr Fulton's submersibles.
    Bligh.
    Oh...

So I keep the next one: "Moby Dick vs. Pequod" for myself.

Beside this, I like the idea of duel packs but would prefer some more special packs like HMS Victory or USS Constitution.
    Last edited by Comte de Brueys; 11-28-2018 at 17:42.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Needs your backstory added please Michael.
    Rob.
    Borrowing from the Wikipedia:

'The Action of 6 May 1801 was a minor naval engagement between the 32-gun xebec-frigate El Gamo of the Spanish Navy under the command of Don Francisco de Torris and the much smaller 14-gun brig HMS Speedy under the command of Thomas, Lord Cochrane. El Gamo was subsequently captured. The skirmish is notable for the large disparity between the size and firepower of El Gamo and Speedy – the former was around four times the size, had much greater firepower and a crew six times the size of Speedy, which had a reduced crew of 54 at the time of the engagement.'

Patrick O'Brian used this action in Master and Commander. With HMS Sophie -vs- Cacafuego he changed the names but the details are the same. I suspect all you Napoleonic Nerds already knew this. ;)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Oh...

So I keep the next one: "Moby Dick vs. Pequod" for myself.
    Not at all as long as you give us the complete unexpurgated back story.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Not at all as long as you give us the complete unexpurgated back story.
    Rob.

I'll start...

"Call me Ishmael..."

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

There may be one or two to choose from...

American Revolutionary War

1776, July 27 - USS Reprisal and HMS Shark have an inconclusive engagement
    1778, April 24 - USS Ranger captures HMS Drake. (details)
    1779, May 7 USS Providence captures HMS Diligent
    1779, September 10 - USS Morris defeats HMS West Florida in the Battle of Lake Pontchartrain.
    1779, September 14 - HMS Pearl defeats the Spanish frigate Santa Mónica. (details)
    1779, November 11 - HMS Tartar captures the Spanish frigate Santa Margarita. (details)
    1780, June 1 - USS Trumbull engages the British privateer Watt; both ships withdraw
    1780, August 11 - HMS Flora defeats the French ship Nymphe in the first engagement thought to involve the carronade.
    1781, March 23 - British privateer Tarleton, of 14 guns, captures American letter of marque Tom Lee, of 12 guns.
    1781, May 1 - HMS Canada captures the Spanish frigate Santa Leocadia. (details)
    1781, September 6 - American privateer Congress captures the British sloop HMS Savage. (details)
    1782, April 6 - American privateer Tartar captures HMS Jane
    1782, April 8 - Pennsylvania privateer Hyder Ally captures HMS General Monk. (details)
    1782, 9 August - HMS Duc de Chartres captures the French brig Aigle
    1782, August 12 - Frigate HMS Coventry inconclusively engages the French frigate Bellone
    1782, December 6 - HMS Ruby defeats the French ship Solitaire. (details)
    1783, January 22 - HMS Hussar captures the French frigate Sybille. (details)

French Revolutionary Wars

1793, May 13 - HMS Iris and Citoyenne Française conduct an inconclusive but sanguinary engagement
    1793, June 18 - HMS Nymphe captures the French frigate Cléopâtre (details)
    1793, December 1 - The British packet ship Antelope captures the French privateer Atlante.
    1794, May 29 - HMS Carysfort recaptures HMS Castor (details)
    1794, September 5 - Merchantmen Esther repulses Républicaine
    1795, January 4 - HMS Blanche captures Pique
    1795, March 13 - HMS Lively captures the French frigate Tourterelle
    1796, November 20 - Merchantman Wilding engages a French privateer that blows up during the engagement
    1796, May 25 - HMS Suffisante captures the privateer Revanche
    1796, June 6 - HMS Unicorn captures French frigate Tribune
    1796, November 28 - The slave ship Tarleton repels two different French privateers on the same day, each engagement representing a single-ship action
    1797, March 13 - HMS Viper captures Nuestra Señora de la Piedad.
    1797, August 15 - HMS Alexander captures French privateer Coq
    1797, October - HMS Alexander captures French privateer Epicharis
    1797, December 22 - HMS Phoebe captures the French frigate Néréide
    1797, December 27 - HMS Caroline captures the Spanish ship St Raphael
    1798, January - 11 HMS Racoon captures the French privateer Policrate
    1798, April 2 - HMS Mars captures the French ship Hercule
    1798, April 17 - HMS Recovery captures the French privateer Revanche
    1798, July 4 - French brig Lodi in an inconclusive engagement with the English privateer brig Acquila (probably Eagle)
    1798, June 21 - His Majesty's packet ship Princess Royal repels the French privateer Avanture.(details)
    1798, August 7 - HMS Espoir captures the Genoese pirate Liguria
    1798, October 20 - HMS Racoon captures the French privateer Vigilante
    1798, December 12 - HMS Perdrix captures the French privateer L'Armée d' Italie
    1798, February 24 - French frigate Forte captures the East Indiaman Osterley, but then allows her to proceed.
    1798, March 1 - HMS Sybille captures French frigate Forte.
    1799, March 18 - HM hired brig Telegraph captures French privateer Hirondelle
    1799, April 13 - HMS Amaranthe captures the French letter of marque Vengeur.
    1799, November 23 - Hired cutter Courier captures French privateer Guerrier
    1799, November 26 - Merchant ship Barton repels attack by a French privateer
    1799, December 2 HMS Racoon captures French privateer Intrepide
    1799, December 2 the British merchantman Achilles captures the French privateer corvette Entreprenante
    1799, December 26 - HMS Viper captures the French privateer Furet
    1800, March 5 - HMS Phoebe captures the privateer Heureux
    1800, August 20 - HMS Seine captures the French ship Vengeance
    1800, October 8 - HMS Gipsy captures the French privateer Quidproquo
    1800, October - American merchant ship Rebecca repels French privateer Malartic
    1800, November 11 - East Indiaman Phoenix captures French privateer Malartic.
    1800, November 13 - HMS Milbrook defeats and drives off the French privateer Bellone
    1800, October 7 - French privateer Confiance captures British East Indiaman Kent
    1801, February 19 - HMS Phoebe captures the French frigate Africaine (details)*
    1801, March 23 — HMS Albatross captures the French privateer Gloire
    1801, April - British merchantman Union Island repels a Spanish privateer
    1801, May - French privateer captures the British merchantman Union Island
    1801, May 6 - HMS Speedy captures Spanish xebec frigate El Gamo
    1801, August 18 - HMS Guachapin captures Spanish letter of marque Theresa
    1801, September 25 - HMS Pickle has an inconclusive engagement with a privateer flying the Spanish colors off Hispaniola.

Quasi-War

1799, February 9 - USS Constellation captures the French frigate L'Insurgente (details)
    1799, October 24 – Merchantman Washington drives off the French privateer frigate Bellone
    1800, February 1 - USS Constellation defeats the French frigate La Vengeance (details)
    1800, October 12 - USS Boston captures the French corvette Berceau (details)
    1800, October 25 - USS Enterprise captures French privateer Flambeau (details)

Napoleonic Wars

1803, May 18 - HMS Doris captures the French lugger Affronteur on the first day of the war.
    1803, July 7 - French privateer Blonde captures the British privateer Young Nicholas
    1803, July 16 - HMS Racoon captures French brig-corvette Lodi.
    1803, August 13 - French privateer Bellone captures the East Indiaman Lord Nelson
    1803, August 17 - HMS Racoon destroys French naval brig Mutine.
    1803, August 27 - HMS Seagull recaptures the East Indiaman Lord Nelson.
    1804, February 5 - HMS Eclair engages the 22-gun French privateer Grande Decide.
    1804, March 21 - French privateer Blonde captures and sinks HMS Wolverine.
    1804, March 9 - French privateer Grande Decide captures British merchantman Caldicot Castle
    1804, March 25 or 28 - HMS Hippomenes captures French privateer Egyptienne
    1804, June 21 - HMS Hippomenes unsuccessfully engages the Guadeloupe privateer Buonaparte.
    1804, July 15 - French privateer Dame Ambert captures HMS Lilly
    1804, July 31 - HMS Tartar captures French privateer Hirondelle
    1804, August 14 – French frigate Poursuivante captures English merchantman Juno
    1804, August 5 - Merchantman Britannia repels attack by French privateer General Ernouf
    1804, January 26 - Merchantman Scarborough repels attack by a French privateer
    1804, September 12 – Policy captures Dutch merchantman Swift
    1804, December 27 – Slave ship Lord Nelson repels attack by a French privateer
    1805, February 8 - HMS Curieux captures French privateer Dame Ernouf
    1805, February 13 - HMS San Fiorenzo captures French frigate Psyche
    1805, March 10 - Private ship of war Kitty captures the Spanish private ship of war Felicity
    1805, March 20 - French privateer Général Ernouf explodes during an engagement with HMS Renard
    1805, July 19 - French frigate Topaze captures HMS Blanche
    1805, August 10 - HMS Phoenix captures Didon
    1805, August 16 - HMS Raisonable vs French frigate Topaze
    1805, November - HMS Wolverine vs HMS Amethyst
    1805, November 4 - French privateer Creole captures slaver and merchantman Esther
    1805, November 28 - Inconclusive engagement between the French privateer Bellone and the East Indiaman Admiral Gardner.
    1806, January 23 - French privateer captures and sinks HMS Unique
    1806, February 15 - HMS Grenada captures the French letter of marque Princess Murat
    1806, February - French privateer Hebe captures British merchantman Shipley
    1806, March 3–4 - French brig Observateur vs. an unknown British post ship
    1806, May 11 - French ship Abeille captures HMS Alacrity
    1806, May 14 - HMS Pallas vs French Minerve
    1806, May 25 - Merchant ship Barton repels attack by French privateer Fairey
    1806, July 19 - HMS Blanche captures French Guerrière
    1806, June 21 - French frigate Piémontaise captures the East Indiaman Warren Hastings at 26°13′S 56°45′W
    1806, October 25 – Spanish privateer mistico Generalísimo captures HM gunboat Hannah
    1806, October 26 - HMS Pitt captures the French privateer Superbe
    1806, December 29 - HMS Spitfire captures French privateer Deux Frères
    1807, January 3 - HMS Pickle captures the French privateer Favorite.
    1807, April 25 - French privateer Dame Villaret captures Wanstead
    1807, August 19 - HMS Comus captures the Danish frigate Fredericksvaern.
    1807, October 1 - British packet ship Windsor Castle captures the French privateer Jeune Richard. (details)
    1807, October 17 - HMS Superieure captures the French privateer schooner Tape a L’Oeil.
    1807, December 3 - HMS Curieux has an inconclusive engagement with French privateer Revanche
    1808, March 2 - HMS Sappho captures Danish privateer Admiral Yawl
    1808, March 6–8 - HMS San Fiorenzo captures French frigate Piémontaise
    1808, March 14 - - HDMS Lougen engages in an inconclusive action with HMS Childers
    1808, May 11 and 12 - HMS Wizard vs French 16-gun brig of war Requin, later captured by HMS Volage
    1808, June 24 - HMS Salsette captures the Russian cutter Opyt
    1808, July 5 and 6 - HMS Seahorse captures Turkish frigate Badere Zaffer[1]
    1808, August 11 - HMS Comet captures French corvette Sylphe
    1808, September 6 - HMS Recruit vs French corvette Diligente
    1808, September 29 - French navy corvette Départment-des-Landes captures HMS Maria
    1808, October 3 - French brig Palinure captures HMS Carnation
    1809, August 7 - The Liverpool merchantman Lascelles repels an attack by a French privateer
    1810, January 11 - HMS Scorpion captures French brig Oreste
    1810, August 10 - His Majesty's Hired armed cutter Queen Charlotte drives off a substantially larger and more heavily armed French vessel.
    1810, November 1 - The French privateer Spéculateur captures the merchant ship Leander.
    1811, early - HMS Gleaner captures an Ottoman polacca off Samos
    1812, July 21 - HMS Sealark captures the French privateer Ville de Caen
    1812, December 1 - French privateer Sans Souci captures the South Seas whaler Frederick
    1812, December 1810 – HMS Spy repelled an attack by a French privateer
    1813, February 7 - HMS Amelia and the French frigate Aréthuse engage in an inconclusive but sanguinary four-hour night battle
    1813, September 10 - French privateer cutter Renard destroys the schooner HMS Alphea
    1814, March 27 - HMS Hebrus captures French frigate Étoile

First Barbary War

1801, August 1 - United States Navy warship USS Enterprise captures Tripolitanian corsair Tripoli near Malta. (details)

War of 1812

1807, June 22 Chesapeake–Leopard Affair - HMS Leopard boards USS Chesapeake
    1811, May 16 Little Belt Affair - USS President fires on HMS Little Belt
    1812, June 18 - USS Essex captures HMS Alert
    1812, August 19 - USS Constitution defeats HMS Guerriere
    1812, August 22 - HMS Barbados defeats US Revenue Cutter James Madison
    1812, September 8 - French privateer brig Diligent (or Diligente or Diligence) captures the schooner HMS Laura
    1812, September 16 - American privateer Rossie captures the packet Princess Amelia
    1812, October 18 - USS Wasp defeats HMS Frolic
    1812, October 18 - HMS Poictiers defeats USS Wasp
    1812, October 25 - USS United States captures HMS Macedonian
    1812, November 22 - HMS Southampton captures USS Vixen
    1812, December 11 - American privateer Saratoga captures the British letter of marque Rachel in the Battle of La Guaira
    1812, December 29 - USS Constitution destroys HMS Java
    1813, January 17 - HMS Narcissus captures USS Viper
    1813, January 25 - The American privateer Dolphin captures the merchantman Hebe
    1813, February 24 - USS Hornet defeats HMS Peacock
    1813, March 11 — HMS Coquette and the American privateer General Armstrong have an inconclusive engagement
    1813, May 23 - HMS Highflyer vs. Virginia privateer schooner Roger
    1813, May 28 – USS Georgiana captures the whaler Hector
    1813, June 1 - HMS Shannon captures USS Chesapeake in the Battle of Boston Harbor
    1813, August 5 - Privateer Decatur captures HMS Dominica
    1813, August 14 - HMS Pelican captures USS Argus
    1813, September 5 - USS Enterprise captures HMS Boxer
    1813, September 23 - USS President captures HMS Highflyer
    1813, October 22 - US Revenue Cutter Vigilant defeats Canadian privateer Dart
    1813, December 14 - Sir William Bensley repels an attack by a 20-gun American privateer schooner
    1813, December 25 - HMS Belvidera captures USS Vixen II
    1814, January 11 - British merchantman Hibernia drives off the American privateer Comet
    1814, February - HMS Epervier captures American privateer-brig Alfred
    1814, February 14 - USS Constitution destroys HMS Pictou
    1814, March 14 - Hannah repelled an attack by the American privateer Jacob Johns
    1814, March 28 - HMS Phoebe captures USS Essex in the Battle of Valparaiso
    1814, April 19 - The American privateer General Armstrong captures the British letter-of-marque Fanny
    1814, April 20 - HMS Shelburne, with HMS Orpheus approaching, captures USS Frolic
    1814, April 29 - USS Peacock captures HMS Epervier
    1814, June 22 - HMS Leander captures USS Rattlesnake
    1814, June 28 - USS Wasp captures HMS Reindeer
    1814, July 12 - American privateer Syren captures HMS Landrail
    1814, July 12 - HMS Medway captures USS Syren
    1814, August 17 - The transport Atlas repels an attack by the U.S. privateer York
    1814, September 1 - USS Wasp sinks HMS Avon
    1814, October 11 - HMS Dispatch defeats US Revenue Cutter Eagle
    1814, October 11 - American privateer Prince de Neufchatel resists HMS Endymion
    1815, January 15 - HMS Endymion defeats USS President
    1815, January 28 - American privateer Surprise captures the British merchantman Star
    1815, March 23 - USS Hornet captures HMS Penguin
    1815, June 15 - USS Peacock captures Nautilus, a brig of the Bombay Marine of the East India Company

List of single ship actions picked from Wikipedia

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Backstories please Jonas!

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Borrowing from the Wikipedia:

'The Action of 6 May 1801 was a minor naval engagement between the 32-gun xebec-frigate El Gamo of the Spanish Navy under the command of Don Francisco de Torris and the much smaller 14-gun brig HMS Speedy under the command of Thomas, Lord Cochrane. El Gamo was subsequently captured. The skirmish is notable for the large disparity between the size and firepower of El Gamo and Speedy – the former was around four times the size, had much greater firepower and a crew six times the size of Speedy, which had a reduced crew of 54 at the time of the engagement.'

Patrick O'Brian used this action in Master and Commander. With HMS Sophie -vs- Cacafuego he changed the names but the details are the same. I suspect all you Napoleonic Nerds already knew this. ;)
    Thanks Michael.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

My suggestion backstory

The Action of 14 September 1779 was a minor naval engagement between the British Royal Naval frigate HMS Pearl and the Spanish frigate Santa Mónica off the Azores during the Anglo-Spanish War.
    The Spanish Navy had been patrolling the Azores since July with a small squadron of ships under of Lt. Gen. Don Antonio de Ulloa, with his flagship Fenix, ships of the line Gallardo, Diligent and San Julián, and the frigates Santa Maria and Santa Mónica.

On 14 September, Pearl, Captain George Montagu while cruising off the Azores in the early hours of the morning chased a large ship which turned out to be Santa Mónica under the command of Don Miguel de Nunes.

At 09:30am, Pearl caught up with Santa Mónica and commenced action. After fighting for two hours, Santa Mónica had become severely damaged and had 38 men killed and 45 wounded; de Nunes therefore struck her colours. Santa Mónica was a new ship, mounting 26 long 12-pounder guns on her main deck, and two 4-pounders on her quarter-deck, with a crew of 271 men. Santa Mónica in addition was larger than Pearl. Pearl was little damaged except in her rigging; she had suffered a loss of 12 men killed and 19 wounded.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for that Captain Duff.
    Bligh.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Jonas -- what a comprehensive list ! Thank you ! If Ares considers this option you have given them lots of options. I'm impressed.
    Bill

If they did HMS Endymion vs. USS President they'd have to include the rest of the pursuing British squadron!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Why's that?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Presumably to share the prize money Dave.

Incidentally this is another suggestion which needs its back story please Eric.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Why's that?
    I think you know the answer.

All joking aside I do think it would make a good dual pack as a hypothetical 1v1 frigate dual, a "what if" type situation.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Presumably to share the prize money Dave.

Incidentally this is another suggestion which needs its back story please Eric.
    Rob.

Without the rest of the squadron, the day would have gone to President. Endymion just managed to slow her down! But, give us the backstory, Eric. It's a good story.