Thread: So I stink at sailing ships... Where can I commence my research?

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default So I stink at sailing ships... Where can I commence my research?

I'm approaching this game from a background as more of a 'fantasy' player with an interest in game design systems. Playing solo against the [SoG Solo Software] app I've come to realise that I know nothing about naval combat, and I've been beaten resoundingly at every attempt. I paddled in dragon boats as a teenager, but that's it. 'Reaching', 'running' are new terms to me.

I'm writing to ask for advice re/ strategic guides or general insights for new players. I've been enjoying a range of documentaries re/ Trafalgar et al. , along with reading into the history of the ships that frequent my table, but I've weaned little that I can apply to SoG. I attempt to gain advantage with upwind positioning, but the standard rules (ie- Preemptive movement) soon have me spinning about like a bottle.

There were seminal texts re/ naval combat published ~200 years ago- should I start there? I'm only running single frigates as I become accustomed to the rules- maybe this could be turning my games into indecisive, dizzy spectacles? If this is the case... where can I read on smaller scale ship-to-ship combat?

Advice appreciated- much enthusiasm, but little talent on this end

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi David.

The first thing to note about Sails is that it only approximates the actual qualities of sailing ships in the era it portraits. You will not need to know much about hand reef and steer or setting sails except that full sail gets you there quicker, lower settings let you turn faster, and tacking into the wind can give some nifty results once you master it. other than that I can only say practice makes perfect, and what Lord Nelson said to his Captains.

See below!

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

If you're in the red zone always pick at least a 4 or a 6 until you are definitely out of the red arc. It's the closest thing to sailing straight without getting stalled in the red arc ( unless that's your plan...).

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The book "Seamanship in the Age of Sail" is a good read without being heavy.

Some pointers:

"Having the Weather Gauge" was how you referred to the ship upwind. This was a tactical advantage, because your opponent would have to tack (turn into the wind) to get to you. This gives the windward ship the ability to create an environment which is disadvantaged for the opponent. If you simply sail with the wind on your beam and to windward of your opponent, they must tack to engage you. You can tack with a much reduced risk.

Wearing is when the wind changes sides when you are sailing downwind and doesn't involve red cards. It's much safer, and aggressive if you have the weather gauge.

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Appreciate the pointers- thank you both. I'll go and have a look for that book