Thread: Gentlemen, long live the queen!

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Marco

Default Gentlemen, long live the queen!

Ladies & Gentlemen

My name is Marco, 45 years old and living in Kiel/Germany. After a long time & search, I have now sailed straight into the SOG harbour. I really like reading (Bolitho), play historical PC strategy games since the 80s (MatrixGames/HPS & Co.) but now I want to play it non virtual. I searched the web for naval boardgames, looked at many but I think SoG is what I really want, so I just bought the SoG starter kit and some more single ships. In the next days all the ordered stuff will reach my hands and I hope my wife doesn't get any notice of that. :)

I am already very excited to see what awaits me. I hope, of course, to find interested people here in my region.

Is there anything I have to pay attention to as a beginner?

Do I need other game elements or do you guys have buy recommendations for me?

Best wishes & keep healthy,
    Mo

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Welcome to the Anchorage Marco on behalf of the sailors based here at the Anchorage.
    I am certain that they will all be along to give you excellent advice as their ships dock.
    Meantime you could get in contact with Sven, aka Comte de Brueys who is ipso facto Commander of the German navy. He can also tell you about our get together in Prague next April.
    May you sail with a fair wind and a willing foe.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Bonjour Marco, welcome on board.

...and: "Long live King George III."

Quote Originally Posted by MrMo View Post

Is there anything I have to pay attention to as a beginner?

Do I need other game elements or do you guys have buy recommendations for me?
    Be shure to get yourself some more ship mats, coast and battery elements and additional counters. They do a reprint at the moment.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome to the Anchorage!

I would recommend that rather than buying extra counters and ship mats, buy another starter. You basically get those for free with the extra ships.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Marco, from here in the United Kingdom.

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Marco

Do we have online shops here in Germany that are good for buying further SoG components?

Where to get these fortifications and land structures?

Amazon and eBay are looking more expensive. I have a little daughter & wife and we don't want to eat gruel & drink water for the rest of the year. ;)
    Regards
    Mo