Thread: Time for Our Semiannual Voyage South

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bilge Rat View Post
    Being an ex hussar (13th/18th Queen Mary’s Own) myself I can only say....WooHoo !!!
    Hussars really are cool !
    B.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Sorry to hear that Dobbs.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Good to hear you’re underway again!

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Funny you mention it --on my trip I one of my purchases was a beautifully painted 15mm Napoleonic 10th (Prince of Wales Own) Hussars regiment-- the security personnel at Heathrow had quite a time looking at it and showing it around to their collegues!
    B.
    There you go!

Ken
    To wives and sweethearts.......may they never meet!

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Bilge Rat View Post
    Being an ex hussar (13th/18th Queen Mary’s Own) myself I can only say....WooHoo !!!

Being an ex Green Jacket all I can say is Boo Hoo!

Ken
    To wives and sweethearts.......may they never meet!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Tomorrow begins our 1000 mile voyage back to the top of the Chesapeake Bay. While in Titusville, Suzanne and I introduced a number of folks to SoG. The FLGS, the Infinite Mushroom, hosted a few games, and Titusville Marina was home to at least three.

Name:  20190226_183331.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  137.8 KB

Here we are out sailing this past weekend in 25+ knots. A thanks to our newfound sailing buddy, Chris, who took the picture from his boat Drakkar.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-26-2019 at 17:11.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Best wishes for a safe journey home.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good on you for flying the SoG flag in the south Dobbs, and Bon voyage on your return trip North.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Fair winds on your return voyage!

I have a question for you - In the photo of you playing SoG in the 2/14 blog post there is a multi colored template shaped like a question mark next to one of the ships. What is that for? (Looks like it could be to determine wind angle?)

Eric

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Fair winds on your return voyage!

I have a question for you - In the photo of you playing SoG in the 2/14 blog post there is a multi colored template shaped like a question mark next to one of the ships. What is that for? (Looks like it could be to determine wind angle?)

Eric
    What you spotted, Eric, is the template for movement for a solo play variant I'm experimenting with based on Richard Bradley's "Powder Monkey". I'm trying to make the solo ship more aware of the wind direction while still keeping the play fast and simple. I was really impressed with Richard's system. Hopefully he will look on my imitation as flattery. If I come up with something I feel is workable, I'll share it here.

Suzanne was play testing, and quickly found a flaw... Well, maybe not a flaw, but room for improvement.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-28-2019 at 16:51.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds very interesting Dobbs.
    I will keep an eye out for your resulting magnum opus.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    What you spotted, Eric, is the template for movement for a solo play variant I'm experimenting with based on Richard Bradley's "Powder Monkey". I'm trying to make the solo ship more aware of the wind direction while still keeping the play fast and simple. I was really impressed with Richard's system. Hopefully he will look on my imitation as flattery. If I come up with something I feel is workable, I'll share it here.

Suzanne was play testing, and quickly found a flaw... Well, maybe not a flaw, but room for improvement.
    Sounds interesting thanks!

Dobbs - I have been following the blog. I am sorry to read about the passing of Suzanne's mom. My condolences to you both. Take care on the drive back up.

Sincerely

Eric

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Dobbs - I have been following the blog. I am sorry to read about the passing of Suzanne's mom. My condolences to you both. Take care on the drive back up.

Sincerely

Eric
    I just saw this -- my heartfelt condolences on your loss
    Bill

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Dobbs please pass onto Suzanne my deepest sympathy on the death of her mother.
    My prayers will be with you both at this sad time.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I was saddened to hear that Suzanne had lost her mother. My condolences to you both. I will remember you both in my prayers.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thank you, gentlemen, for your thoughts. They have been shared with Suzanne.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is a wonderful thing Dobbs, that someone whom we have shared an adventure with over thousands of miles away on line, although we have never met in person can become like a part of ones extended family. I always feel that is one of the really good things about the web.
    God bless you both.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    It is a wonderful thing Dobbs, that someone whom we have shared an adventure with over thousands of miles away on line, although we have never met in person can become like a part of ones extended family. I always feel that is one of the really good things about the web.
    I concur wholeheartedly.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob, today I tried to get you a ship's eye view of Fort Moultrie. It looked like it would be easy. We were running before a light breeze as we approached Fort Sumter. But as we passed Sumter, the wind backed sharply and ratcheted up 15 knots! Suzanne quickly shortened the jib and threw the 1st reef in the main. Meanwhile, a cargo ship was coming in off the ocean. We tacked to stay out of his way, then had to tack back to get behind him. A final tack put us back on course back into Charleston, but by now the waves were coming up. We got to see Fort Moultrie, but no pictures were taken. I have to say I like your interpretation better anyway.
    https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...ch-for-January

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just showed Mrs Bligh your communication,
    I mentioned to her how bad I feel about my hobby, putting sailors out to feed my whims, when going about their lawful occasions upon the high seas thousands of miles away.
    What I am saying in essence is thanks for trying when you obviously had a lot to cope with on your own account.
    Have a safe voyage for the rest of your trip North.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

As my birthday rushes toward me, I took the opportunity to order a variety of goodies from Langton and Brigade models. Hopefully, they shall be awaiting me when we arrive home in about 2 weeks. Currently we are waiting out a gale in Carolina Beach State Park, North Carolina, with less than 500 miles to go...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Three days to go Dobbs, and born the year I started work!
    That gives me something to celebrate also.
    I will put my bottle of Gin on ice.
    Rob.

A Belated Happy Birthday Dobbs!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thanks, Eric! We have arrived at the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay. Less than 200 miles to go. Hopefully we can have you over for some gaming and real sailing this Spring.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Congratulations on reaching home waters Dobbs. Your idea for a game or two appeals to me my friend. How I wish I could join you. Unfortunately as you may have noticed from my posts, apart from our trip to Prague, my summer will be fully occupied with builders, kitchen fitters, plumbers and decorators.

For your last 20 miles Bon voyage to you both.
    Rob.

Thanks, Eric! We have arrived at the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay. Less than 200 miles to go. Hopefully we can have you over for some gaming and real sailing this Spring.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

...and the voyage comes to an end...roughly 2000 miles there and back.

Name:  20190408_095537.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  109.3 KB
    Passing our community. 3 miles to go...

Name:  20190408_095500.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  107.1 KB
    The Red Point that gives our community its name.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Well done that voyage is certainly an achievement. Congratulations on completing it successfully, there certainly were a few moments with the engine that will have made you grind your teeth a bit.
    I don't know much about your weather patterns, presumably the southern part of your voyage was done in winter to avoid the hurricane season, where does this start, is it around the Carolina's? If so presumably the northern part of your journey you suffer from the normal winter storms or is it different to that?
    Well done any way

Welcome Home!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Well done that voyage is certainly an achievement. Congratulations on completing it successfully, there certainly were a few moments with the engine that will have made you grind your teeth a bit.
    I don't know much about your weather patterns, presumably the southern part of your voyage was done in winter to avoid the hurricane season, where does this start, is it around the Carolina's? If so presumably the northern part of your journey you suffer from the normal winter storms or is it different to that?
    Well done any way
    Thanks, John!

Yes, there was a bit of teeth grinding. Out of the 6 or 7 times that we've headed south, this one might be the most challenging. Still, we met a lot of really nice people.

Hurricane season ends at the beginning of November. It's actually more practical weatherwise to leave before it's over, and just keep an eye out. We were limited by our work schedule, and got caught up in the winter blasts. With the jetstream being more wobbly these days, we get warm days followed by really cold ones, and the wind goes from nothing to A Lot! This persists all of the way to Florida. I swear, it was easier 20 years ago, and I have more experience now!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Welcome Home!
    Eric, we'll have to make it a point to raise a pint next time we get together for a game.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Congratulations to you both upon completing your voyage!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I swear, it was easier 20 years ago, and I have more experience now!
    I think everything was easier then

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly many congratulations on your voyage Dobbs, but secondly thank you for sharing it with us. I have been following it avidly from the inception until last week when we left for Wings of Prague. It certainly helped to light up some of my winter days for sure, and the lows like the engine drama and your bereavement certainly put another sort of feeling to the entire journey.
    Thank you once more for this saga of the sea and glimpse into this corner of your life.
    Rob.