Thread: Thorn Pírate Mod

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Default Thorn Pírate Mod

The Thorn is the first ship i owned. When i first saw that i first thinked on pirate ships.
    Pirates used to have light and fast ships , and that 16 ship looked perfect to me .
    I added the flag from the forum. I want to use it on special scenarios where a frigate search for pírate ships on the Spanish main or similar
    Name:  FF70B221-0648-49DF-98EE-8A613723A910.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  138.3 KBName:  FF70B221-0648-49DF-98EE-8A613723A910.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  138.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you want a name for her drop me a PM and I will do you a card Ferrante.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For your Pirate scenarios Ferrante, you can level the playing field in several ways.

Have her run under a friendly coastal battery, have the enemy crew reduced by having dispatched several prize crews away already, victims of illness, untrained crew rule, or simply an undermanned ship, as many were in the period. As for the ship, it could be already damaged in action, or a storm, partly en flute because of carrying a heavy cargo, or even be an armed Merchantman of approximately the same broadside as your pirate ship. These are just a few of the ways in which you can have an even exchange.

Whatever route you choose, nothing matters except that you enjoy the game.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Very nicely done there.
    My only issue with Pirate ships in the game is the classic pirate age was almost 100 years before the ships we using, granted there were still some about, but for me a new expansion backdated a few years and a change in stats needed for pirates

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The way I tend to rationalize Pirates in our period is the Letters of Mark ships, quite a few of whom were known to add a few illicit boarding actions on neutral shipping when no one was looking. Not all nations being as scrupulous as our Prize Courts when it came to the legality of a prize, and even when they were it was not as easy to regulate with thousands of miles of coastline and secluded inlets to patrol.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Dont want to detract from the nice looking model nor go against use of pirates, just for me when I think pirates i think, Captain Blood, the Seahawks or Pirates of the Caribean era, I know quite a few privateers about during Napoleonic wars, just for me pirates are earlier

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

I Totally Agree. Gold pirates era is 100 years before Napoleonic wars.
    But you have some examples from the Last pirates like Jean Lafitte, born in 1780.
    One of the last Caribbean pirates.
    Also at the mediterranean sea you have the Algerian pirates,
    using in some cases captured frigates.
    May be to be more historical acurate I need to change the flag .
    Thank you for your comments !!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Be nice if we got some Xebecs for the med maybe

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Shapeways have a 1/1000 scale model xebec available. Here is a picture of it. I have chosen the blue version to obtain good contrast, so that details are visible. They are available in several colours including white. https://www.shapeways.com/product/NH...li=marketplace

Name:  710x528_11022806_850523_1459338180.png
Views: 296
Size:  269.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not bad Dave.
    I wonder how thin they have got the sails?
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It is a pity that the xebec from GHQ models is 1/1200 scale.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It is a pity that the xebec from GHQ models is 1/1200 scale.
    Were xebecs of a standard size, such that 1/1200 would look off on the table?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No problem with that. Xebecs came in whatever size the owner, Dey or Bey could afford. The larger sizes tended to be those of the Sublime Port. the smaller ones Pirates.

Rob.

The French also commissioned larger xebecs for use in the Med. One was the Le Requin a 260 ton 6th rate armed with 24 8 pounders and measuring 122 feet on the gundeck.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The Spanish El Gamo comes to mind...