Thread: Our Friend Rory

Default Our Friend Rory

It is with sad heart that I must tell you all that our shipmate and friend Rory McCready passed away this afternoon after a long battle. He had been working so hard to finish all the 1/2400 scale ships for a Trafalgar game scheduled in October. He finished the last ship, but the game was just too far off.
    Rory was a great friend and mentor, to me and many others. He was also barber-surgeon and performed demonstrations at schools and faires all across the UK. He will be sorely missed!

Vol

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

So sorry to hear of the death of Rory Vol. It is never a good thing to lose a comrade to Fiddler's Green, but when it is one of your own countrymen it is even worse. The strangest thing is that I was actually in Dorset yesterday.
    His family and friends will be in my thoughts.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Vol, my condolences on the loss of a good friend. It's also a loss for the Anchorage. When I signed on years ago, everyone here was friendly, but Rory was especially supportive and helpful for someone just getting started in Age of Sail miniature building. His knowledge and willingness to share with all will definitely be missed. Rest in Peace, Rory.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I would like to add my commiserations for Rory,
    I only met him through this forum and found him friendly snd very helpful. Very sad to hear the news.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

My condolences to you, Vol, and to Rory's family and other friends. May he rest in peace.

I do not think that I ever met him but it sounds like he was a great chap.

Perhaps you could start a 'Fallen Comrades' thread, Rob.

Thank you all. Rory was a generous soul. Brian Weathersby wrote a very nice piece about Rory on his blog if anyone is interested in reading it. https://mymodelsailingships.blogspot...community.html

Sad news.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I am very sorry to hear of his passing.

He was very friendly and helpful, often complimenting and giving suggestions.

He was a fellow modeller with many helpful advices to give.

He will be sorely missed.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

As the founder of one of my disciplines said in similar times of loss, We Are Diminished.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very well put DB.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Rory had been planning to do a refight of Trafalgar at Entoyment on the anniversary of the battle, he had just finished all of the ships for the game when he passed on. The game is going ahead in his memory. Details of the event are here:

https://entoyment.co.uk/event-tick/s...ober-2018.html

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for posting this Dave.
    I hope it will be well supported by shipmates in the area.
    As I discovered when I visited Entoyment last month, it is a superb venue for large games of this sort.
    My best wishes are with you.
    rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I will be there for the game. And also in Bournemouth today for Rory's funeral

If anyone would like to write something in Rory's remembrance book here is the link:
    https://www.tapperfuneralservice.co....earch/20181227

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There is also a matter of remembrance here on the Anchorage. The Drome has a special thread for fallen comrades, maybe we should start something similar here.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Rob
    Totally agree
    a place for fallen sailors is a great idea
    Trust buried at sea ?
    sewn bundle in hammock material image would be appropriate / covered in National flag of personage at rest?
    Regards
    Simon / Ensign Patch

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I attended Rory's funeral on Tuesday, it was a lovely affair given the circumstances. He got the wonderful sendoff that he very richly deserved.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for representing us at Rory's funeral Dave.
    I have now established a sub forum for tributes to the memory of fallen shipmates to echo the one on the Drome.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...Rory-McCreadie

I wonder if you would like to start off this new thread for us on behalf of Rory?

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-10-2018 at 03:03.