Thread: Adapting Existing Frigates for the United States?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Default Adapting Existing Frigates for the United States?

Okay, so multiple copies of the Constitution for the United States and President, and Java and Guerriere if I ever felt the need. But the Constellation and Congress seem in a no man’s land between the extreme size of the super Frigate 44s and the larger 40s that exist within the game. Candidates for the Essex, Cheasapeake and reflagged Macedonian?

Also, is there some semi-standardized way of handling carronade only ships such as the Essex?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

I know there are some rules floating around for carrinades but I can’t remember if it was for a balance of them.

http://www.aresgames.eu/16974

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...ght=Carronades
    Last edited by Aaron; 09-07-2018 at 01:52.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Aaron. There is an Ares add on for Carronades, but I have searched for it in vain.
    I will scan in my hard copy and post it as soon as I get a moment.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ares rules for carronades can be found here

http://www.aresgames.eu/download/21177/

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers Chris.
    Don't know how I missed them.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

NP Rob, they are not well advertised as they are an add on to the Historical scenario rules
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 09-08-2018 at 07:43.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

If you want to avoid carronades altogether and are looking for a good US ship match, the Amazons are a pretty good match the 13 Hancock class frigates ordered by the Continental Congress in 1775.

Incidentally, I bumped the Amazons up to Burden 3 and switched decks with the Concordes. This makes the Concordes fast and agile, and the Amazons keep their good opening punch and are able to stand against them.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Ares rules for carronades can be found here

http://www.aresgames.eu/download/21177/
    Thankee, Cap’n! I was just going to limit them to double-shotted, no regular shot, so as to give them more punch but a shorter range, but I’d rather go with official.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    If you want to avoid carronades altogether and are looking for a good US ship match, the Amazons are a pretty good match the 13 Hancock class frigates ordered by the Continental Congress in 1775.

Incidentally, I bumped the Amazons up to Burden 3 and switched decks with the Concordes. This makes the Concordes fast and agile, and the Amazons keep their good opening punch and are able to stand against them.
    Was thinking more Napoleonic era than American Revolution, but good suggestion nevertheless. Thanks.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    I was just going to limit them to double-shotted, no regular shot, so as to give them more punch but a shorter range, but I’d rather go with official.
    Of course they can be double shotted at the same speed as your long guns can be loaded, or you can fire them single shotted each turn, whilst the full broadside is being loaded.
    rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Problem is, there may have been 13 Hancocks authorized, but in the end the builders pretty much did as they darn well pleased since they couldn't get copies of the plans fast enough...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Are the 13 Hancocks they built all the same or is each a bit different since there were no plans?
    You'll be impressed by this ZQuiet review so check it out.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by TristanC View Post
    Are the 13 Hancocks they built all the same or is each a bit different since there were no plans?
    Well, they were 32 gun frigates, mounting 12 pdrs, so that let's you pick Amazons or Concordes to represent them.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I have bumped my Amazons to a Burden of 3, and switched decks with the Concordes.