Thread: Where is Wave 5?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Default Where is Wave 5?

It feels like a year since the last release of ships. Is there any news or rumor of a Fifth Wave?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

All quiet on the Naval front I'm afraid Michael.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The last rumour I heard ref this was that there was going to be a wave 5, however contents and release time nothing.
    Looking at the other systems vieing for releases,
    I think we may be waiting quite a while

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I agree Chris.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

What ships would people like to see in Wave 5?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I know this poll is a bit out of date Dave and some of the requirements have been met already but it gives a sense of the spread of interests here.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....highlight=wave

For myself, I would like to see the 90s, small merchantmen, and razee ships.

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Agreed. We need small merchant ships and a xebec too. :)

There are dozens of good scenarios we could write for protecting convoys against small privateers, galleys, gun boats and the like.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

We were promised a set of merchant ships some years ago, a selection was virtually agreed (including Book's endeavour as she was based on a collier and makes an ideal small merchant). Then Ares forgot about it, the when reminded decided that Bonhomme Richard, as an east indiaman, satisfied the merchant promise. Don't expect anything civilian for a few years, if ever.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Agreed. We need small merchant ships and a xebec too. :)

There are dozens of good scenarios we could write for protecting convoys against small privateers, galleys, gun boats and the like.
    We need a change in the stat range for frigate and small ship actions as the available range is too small for meaningful differentiation

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I agree Dave, the frigates need a change, the Amazons always seem a bit weak to me, as a layman anyway.

As for a wave 5 wish list

British 90. Temeraire, Neptune, Dreadnought
    Spanish 80 (correctly sized) Montanes, Monarca, Neptuno and Argonauta
    French 74 Pegase class 6 ships, most captured at Toulon, burnt by RN then repaired by France, one also given to Spain

British Enterprize class frigates, 27 ships in class at least two taken by the french and has HMS Enterprize for trekkie fans
    French Iphigenie class frigate, 9 ships, some taken by RN one at least captured by Spain

This wish list is on numbers and types , not checked if they already equal to whats already available, esoecially the frigates

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Ares posted a YouTube video clip on Facebook this morning taken recently at GENCON. The video includes an update for both Sails of Glory and Wings of Glory: the next wave for Sails will be mid to late 2019 with Wings slightly behind that. I'm sad to see the delay, but I am not surprised based on all the new games they are releasing this year, including Tripods and Triplanes and Battlestar Galactica.

Better late than never I guess!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the dispatches Richard. At least that puts us in a position to plan for the future.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Here is the video Richard mentioned.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that Dave. Saved me having to go looking for it. Just a pity that no hint was given as to what those ships were going to be!
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

2nd rates. I’d say 6th rates, but the system isn’t really scaled well for that end of small. United States/President. Constellation/Congress. More development of the Spanish and US in general. Generally pleased with the inclusion of 50-64 gun ships representing the middle ground between frigates and 74s.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    I agree Dave, the frigates need a change, the Amazons always seem a bit weak to me, as a layman anyway.

As for a wave 5 wish list

British 90. Temeraire, Neptune, Dreadnought
    Spanish 80 (correctly sized) Montanes, Monarca, Neptuno and Argonauta
    French 74 Pegase class 6 ships, most captured at Toulon, burnt by RN then repaired by France, one also given to Spain

British Enterprize class frigates, 27 ships in class at least two taken by the french and has HMS Enterprize for trekkie fans
    French Iphigenie class frigate, 9 ships, some taken by RN one at least captured by Spain

This wish list is on numbers and types , not checked if they already equal to whats already available, esoecially the frigates
    Iphigenie has already been slipstreamed into SGN101. Most of the "1777 Round" of French 32 designs look very similar other than the rakes of bow and stern. I haven't broken out calipers, but the last time I asked Ares about if they'd fixed scaling for Wave 4 after I diagnosed the problem of why they were coming in underscale, I didn't get a response--in fact, haven't heard much from them at all over the past year, which is part of why I've been so quiet here and at the 'Drome.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi DB, the latest official we have is an interviewish utube vid with Ares at Gencon, sails was mentioned, only, for 2019, but not what

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear from you DB. I was beginning to think that your other design work had got too complex to leave any time for the Anchorage or Drome.
    Rob.