Thread: I have bought a SofG starter set twice

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Default I have bought a SofG starter set twice

I bought a starter set on ebay, brand new, still sealed and paid £60 (including postage). Awaiting the time to open it and learn to play it. The other day, picked up another one, the box has been opened, but not touched inside - cards still in sealed packets, all counters still mounted on main card. (£46.50 including postage). My question is - can I use all the ships but just rename box B ships?, or would it just be am I missing something. As new ships go for £20 plus, I did think I got a bargain. PLEASE remember, I've not ever played this game yet, so if its a stupid question, please don't sink me.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What I did with my two starter sets Pete was to put the French sets into one box and the Brits into the other. Just turn the cards over for the duplicate ships an you will have a French box with two 74s and two Frigates vs a box of two English 74s and two Frigates. Enough to give you some good games. I have gone on to buy every released ship twice to give me even more named ships. However, i do not suggest this unless you have a large bank account and a very understanding partner.
    As for silly questions. We always say that the only silly question is the one that you neglect to ask. We are here to help our fellow gamers.
    Ask away dear chap.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Thank you for the help

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Heck, I think you can do whatever you want with the ships. I have added a number of imaginary ships to the Royal and American Navies. I just make up new ship base cards. My thought is, if you're making up encounters, why not make up ships of a class?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I quite agree Dobbs.
    Remember these.

Name:  IMG_3979.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  191.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6488.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  153.6 KB
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If you do a little historical research, you may find the names of other ships in the same classes. It is not too hard, usually Wikipedia can supply the information.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Duff has a comprehensive list of those which fit the Trafalgar ships.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I have four starter sets. If you want all the ships you can get them cheaper than buying them separate and you get extra counters as a bonus.

I do print my own ship cards that go in the base so I can keep track of which ship is which.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think if we get together Jonas we have printed enough spare cards off between us to do most ships.
    Both I and Chris have all the ones for Trafalgar. We must get together a Data base on the files of them sometime.
    i bet you have a lot of very interesting ones.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

You’ll get a little preview.
    I have played a few solo games during my short vacation. If I only get a little more time I could do the write up and finish the rest of the games. There’s a lot of non-original ships there.

Name:  DC4EDC54-4121-4590-9542-60430C67A31E.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  196.3 KB

Name:  3568DD5F-E3A7-4E5C-B744-64B1E804D13B.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  218.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I hope you do get the time Jonas.
    It is always great to get one of your interesting bits with different ships involved.
    That lot look superb bye the way.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I found a krylic font looking close enough to the original to work well.

I see I didn’t put the Dutch ships there...

If I only had the time and didn’t have to work 50 hour weeks you could get to read the continuation of the adventures of Johan Puke.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that does sound intriguing Jonas. I would love to hear your story.
    However, I understand a 50 hr week must put a terrible strain on your free time.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    Puerto Rico

Log Entries
    Name
    Rolando

Those Russian and Danish vessels are great! Pretty ensigns. Swedish in the back?

How did you come about with the stats for them , may I ask? (I realize it's a lengthy answer...) I mean, did you compare gun load and weight and such to existing SoG ships to get approximates?

–Rolando

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you don't hear from Jonas about his stats, drop him a PM Rolando.
    He is sure to see that.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I mostly compare the weight of the broadsides to ships that already has stats. The Russians did have some peculiarities, but the stats are very broad, especially in the smaller spectrum of ships.

And yes, there are a few Swedish ships in the back. My protagonist in the solo campaign is a Swedish captain.

The AARs referred to are the last ones, posted by me, here:
    https://sailsofglory.org/forumdispla...-Solo-Campaign

The story of Johan Puke started here:
    https://sailsofglory.org/forumdispla...-Solo-Campaign

The order is by the month at the start of the title of the threads. They end up in a different order due to the last one with comments being higher up on the page though, so you would have to go through the pages to get them in the right order.
    Last edited by TexaS; 03-30-2019 at 07:07.