Hybrid View

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Default AAR, Historical Scenario, Action 20-10-1778, The Anglo-French War

See here for a description of the scenario:
    https://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?5153-Historical-Scenario-Action-of-20-10-1778-The-Anglo-French-War&p=80396#post80396

British: HMS Jupiter (50) and HMS Medea (28) (player-controlled). Jupiter is represented by HMS Leopard and Medea is represented by HMS Cleopatra, with two hull boxes and one crew box pre-filled.
    French: Triton (64) (solo rules using DGH’s app). The Triton ship model is represented by Artesien, but with HMS Vigilant’s ship log and manoeuvre deck, J, and the last hull box on the ship damage track is pre-filled.

Set-up Both sides attempt to gain the weather gauge by sailing as close as possible to the wind. The British sail in line, using the house rule that the ship behind may follow the one in front, keeping its distance.

Turn 1: The British ships maintain a straight line ahead, while the Triton turns into the wind. What are those dastardly French up to?

Turn 2: While the British ships proceed straight ahead, the clever French caption succeeds in firing a long-range port broadside; Jupiter’s crew brace for the impact. At least they will be rewarded with a short range broadside on the next turn.
    HMS Jupiter: 2/9 hull damage

Turn 3: Jupiter exacts revenge, albeit only with a partial broadside. Luckily one of Triton’s masts is severely damaged ¬– holding fire was worth it. HMS Medea also takes the opportunity to fire a partial, long-range broadside, though the damage is minimal. Things are about to get unpleasant though, with Triton’s fully-loaded starboard broadside ready to fire next turn.
    Triton: 2/8 hull damage
    HMS Jupiter: 2/9 hull damage

Turn 4: Jupiter repairs damage. Both Jupiter and Medea use continuous fire, causing minor damage to Triton’s hull and crew. Triton unleashes a full broadside into Jupiter, taking out one of Jupiter’s masts and causing further hull damage. The small arms fire from Jupiter is completely ineffective while the elite marines on the Triton inflict many casualties on Jupiter’s crew.
    Triton: 3/8 hull damage, 1/10 crew damage
    HMS Jupiter: 4/9 hull damage, 3/10 crew damage

Turn 5: The Captain of HMS Medea, realising a collision with Triton might be imminent, orders full sails to be set in the hope that he can speed in front of Triton. However, Triton unexpectedly turns into the wind, despite its damaged mast and blasts HMS Medea with continuous fire (Medea has to draw an extra ‘C’ damage counter due to having full sails – a house rule).
    Triton: 3/8 hull, 1/10 crew
    HMS Jupiter: 4/9 hull, 3/10 crew
    HMS Medea: 2/6 hull, 2/8 crew

Turn 6: HMS Medea, tacking through the wind gets an opportunity to rake Triton, which randomly turns northwards back through the wind due to its damaged mast; however, the raking opportunity is wasted, as Medea only succeeds in causing some casualties to Triton’s crew. Meanwhile, as HMS Jupiter comes around, the captain succeeds in rousing the men’s spirits, urging them to re-join the fight to save HMS Medea from the much larger Triton! Triton’s crew fix damage to the hull.
    Triton: 2/8 hull, 2/10 crew
    HMS Jupiter: 4/9 hull, 2/10 crew
    HMS Medea: 2/6 hull, 2/8 crew

Turn 7: The Triton, still with a damaged mast, randomly turns to the north, placing it right between the two British ships. The French Captain shouts with glee as Triton’s gunners unleash full broadsides on both British ships. Medea responds with continuous fire and Jupiter responds with a long range attack. The damage to Triton and Jupiter is minor, but Medea is now severely damaged and the crew have suffered even more.
    Triton: 4/8 hull, 3/10 crew
    HMS Jupiter: 5/9 hull, 3/10 crew
    HMS Medea: 5/6 hull, 5/8 crew

Turn 8: Medea’s captain decides to withdraw. The crew also succeed in fixing some hull damage just in time, as Triton now focusses its attention on the smaller British ship and gets a partial broadside with continuous fire, causing further hull damage. Jupiter nearly succeeds in raking Triton at long range, but nevertheless hits some of her crew. After the successful broadsides on both British ships, the French captain rouses the men’s spirits!
    HMS Jupiter: 5/9 hull, 3/10 crew

Turn 9: Manoeuvring.

Turn 10: Manoeuvring. HMS Medea withdraws.

Turn 11: Manoeuvring. The Captain of HMS Jupiter, thinking that Triton is withdrawing prepares to follow, but Triton turns sharply…

Turn 12: …and fires a long-range broadside at the approaching Jupiter, causing damage to hull and crew.
    HMS Jupiter: 6/9 hull, 4/10 crew

Turn 13: HMS Jupiter’s return fire at long range is hopelessly ineffective.

Turn 14: Triton’s partial broadside at long range causes more suffering to Jupiter’s crew. If this continues, Jupiter will also be forced to withdraw.

HMS Jupiter: 6/9 hull, 5/10 crew

Turn 15: A squall appears to be approaching, and so is nightfall.

Turn 16: The squall arrives, making long-range attacks more difficult and with battle sails set the ships use the longest movement arrows. Once again, as Jupiter tries to follow Triton’s broad turns, Triton succeeds in hitting Jupiter with a partial broadside. This time it is at short range, causing damage to the rudder and crew.
    HMS Jupiter: 6/9 hull, 6/10 crew

Turn 17: Manoeuvring.

Turn 18: Triton goes downwind, nearly giving Jupiter a chance to rake her. However, Jupiter only manages an ineffective partial broadside.
    HMS Jupiter: 6/9 hull, 6/10 crew

Turn 19: Manoeuvring.

Turn 20: Triton’s long-range partial broadside is weakened by the effects of the squall and causes no damage to HMS Jupiter. Jupiter sails off the edge, but both sides are willing to continue the fight, so…

Turn 21: …manoeuvring. Maybe Jupiter can just turn sharply enough to get a full broadside next turn.

Turn 22: Jupiter only gets a partial broadside, while Triton manages a full broadside. The damage to Jupiter is now so extensive and the crew’s morale weakened that there’s nothing left to do but withdraw.
    HMS Jupiter: 7/9 hull, 7/10 crew

Turn 23: Jupiter tacks through the wind preparing its withdrawal, while Triton expertly slows into the wind to prepare for…
    HMS Jupiter: 7/9 hull, 7/10 crew

Turn 24: …one final parting shot at Jupiter, inflicting more suffering to her crew.
    HMS Jupiter: 7/9 hull, 8/10 crew

Turn 25: Jupiter withdraws into the dark and stormy night while the French cheer their minor victory over the two enemy ships.

And the damage:
    HMS Jupiter

HMS Medea

Triton

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Only just spotted this small but quite significant action, in length at least.
    Very nice reportage Andrew. Well worth a bit of Rep. I'm surprised no one else has commented on it!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Somehow I also missed it. Interesting action. Thank you for the great write up.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I just read the original post and thought the British ships would defeat the French one. It seems as if I was wrong, the cunning French Captain out sailed them but was maybe a bit lucky with the chit draws, or should I say the British were unlucky.
    An enjoyable read - thanks

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Thanks for the comments and rep!

I play-tested the game a few times solo. I posted this game because it was nice to see the solo ship win!

The main lucky draws were not so much the damage counters, but were rather the random damaged-mast draws which placed the solo ship right in-between the two British ships.
    Last edited by Fabbe; 10-16-2019 at 11:15. Reason: Addition.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Fabbe View Post
    Thanks for the comments and rep!

I play-tested the game a few times solo. I posted this game because it was nice to see the solo ship win!

The main lucky draws were not so much the damage counters, but were rather the random damaged-mast draws which placed the solo ship right in-between the two British ships.
    Hi Andrew, I've not played many games yet so still on a very steep learning curve but I played a 64 v 2 Frigates and each broad side from the 64 just wreaked the frigates, 2 broadsides one to each Frigate and that was that I may revisit the game based on your scenario.

Bye the way do you go to a wargames club in Stockholm and if so do you know a Joakim he plays things like Pulp Alley and is very big into 3D printing scenery? I know he lives just outside Stockholm and attends a club but I don't know where.
    Cheers

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

I don't know that Joakim in Stockholm... and you've reminded me that I need to change my location!

The 50-gun plus frigate vs the 64 works quite well if the Royal Navy ships are manoeuvred well. In reality HMS Medea and Jupiter lined up on either side of Triton. The Medea only lasted about 30 min before needing to withdraw after a 36-lber holed her below the waterline. The Jupiter and Triton eventually withdrew from each other in the dark squall with no clear victor on either side, much like in the AAR.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Fabbe View Post
    I don't know that Joakim in Stockholm... and you've reminded me that I need to change my location!

The 50-gun plus frigate vs the 64 works quite well if the Royal Navy ships are manoeuvred well. In reality HMS Medea and Jupiter lined up on either side of Triton. The Medea only lasted about 30 min before needing to withdraw after a 36-lber holed her below the waterline. The Jupiter and Triton eventually withdrew from each other in the dark squall with no clear victor on either side, much like in the AAR.
    That probably explains it, my Frigates would both have been Amazon Class, I don't have a 50 Gun one, maybe I need 3 Frigates.

It was a bit of a long shot about Joakim, he sounds a very nice guy.
    Cheers

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Great report with lot of pics and explanations
    You transported me to the battle , thank you