Merle T. Cole and Scott S. Sheads
    ISBN:
    978-0-7385-1350-8
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    A compact book containing several hundred photographs of Fort McHenry (of Star Spangled Banner fame) and the outer forts built later (Forts Howard, Armistead, Smallwood, and Carroll. The text is sparse but each photo has adequate descriptions beneath the entry. There is a chapter on the War of 1812 operations against Baltimore by the Royal Navy and British army including photos of key points on the Battle of North Point battlefield where the British land forces were turned back by American forces, as well as photos of maps and plans of Fort McHenry and key coastal defenses. My favorite photo in this chapter is an 1873 picture of 12 U.S. veterans of the defense of Baltimore in 1814 -- it is just fascinating to look into their faces and know they lived at the same time as Jefferson, Bonaparte, Wellington, Nelson, etc.

Other chapters include the fortifications as they developed for the American Civil War as well as both World Wars (some very interesting photos here). The last part of the book deals with the modern fortifications (an interesting aside here is that U.S. Special Forces used the terrain in the area for training for operations in Viet Nam), other chapters include the fort construction and weaponry. I found it to be a very interesting book and one that anyone who has interest in 19th century fortifications against naval attack would enjoy this photographic history.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks an interesting read Bill and also covers one of my other wargaming periods the ACW.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Looks an interesting read Bill and also covers one of my other wargaming periods the ACW.
    Rob.
    In the chapter on the ACW, it is mentioned that over 7,000 confederate POWs were held at this facility and that on July 3, 1863 the garrison and prisoners (as well as the residents of Baltimore) could hear the sound of the artillery fire coming from Gettysburg 58 miles away.