Thread: Replica 17th Century Kalmar Nyckel on Hudson Today

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default Replica 17th Century Kalmar Nyckel on Hudson Today

Imagine my surprise when I looked down the Hudson River today from one of my balconies, and I saw a very large square rigged ship working its way toward me. It was a replica of the 17th Century ship the Kalmar Nyckel. Here's a view of her:
    Name:  Kalmar Nyckel.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  47.1 KB

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

A quick search on the computer tells me the original Kalmar Nyckel was a Dutch built ship launched in 1625 carrying 40 crew and 28 soldiers. In 1638 it sailed from Gothenburg, Sweden carrying Swedish settlers to the New World to establish the colony of New Sweden in North America. The replica that sailed past my home today was built in Delaware in 1995.
    B.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I bet Texas will be able to give us the lowdown on her.
    However, in the meantime what a spectacle she makes Bill. I only wish that I could see such things from my Balcony. Come to think of it I don't even have a balcony, but if I had views like that I certainly would have one.
    Thanks for the superb image. It has raised my flagging spirits, After two days of breezes and only 24 degrees, we are back to 32 today and i am flagging once more.

Talking of flagging spirits, methinks I can feel a large G&t coming on.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I bet Texas will be able to give us the lowdown on her.
    However, in the meantime what a spectacle she makes Bill. I only wish that I could see such things from my Balcony. Come to think of it I don't even have a balcony, but if I had views like that I certainly would have one.
    Thanks for the superb image. It has raised my flagging spirits, After two days of breezes and only 24 degrees, we are back to 32 today and i am flagging once more.

Talking of flagging spirits, methinks I can feel a large G&t coming on.

Rob.
    Hoist one for me !
    B.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Seeing the Kalmar Nyckel passing my place for the first time today got me to thinking that I have not seen the replica Half Moon in quite some time (it used to pass my place about twice every summer). After a brief check on the computer I find that the historical organization that operated it got into some financial straits and now the Half Moon is sailing out of the Netherlands. The last time she was in the area I went down to her dock and viewed her up close -- now I am glad I did as I will probably never see her again. Here's a view of her on the Hudson:
    Name:  Half Moon 7.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  416.8 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Great photographs, Bill!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Mrs Bligh's local ship is the Matthew sailing out of Bristol.

Name:  IMG_0014.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  215.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0770.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  198.8 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Thanks for sharing these great photos of the beautiful ships.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Mrs Bligh's local ship is the Matthew sailing out of Bristol.

Name:  IMG_0014.jpg
Size:  215.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0770.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  198.8 KB

Rob.
    Is the Matthew a carrack, roughly from the early 1500's?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  The_Mathew_cruising_Cardiff_Bay_(2799993543).jpg
Size:  415.0 KB

The Matthew
    is a replica of a caravel sailed by John Cabot in 1497 from Bristol to North America, presumably Newfoundland.

Name:  1319449_9797913-xvansemgolf1-20110530-v130g.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  30.1 KB

After a voyage which had got no further than Iceland, Cabot left again with only one vessel, the Matthew, a small ship (50 tons), but fast and able. The crew consisted of only 18 men. The Matthew departed either 2 May or 20 May 1497. He sailed to Dursey Head (latitude 51°36N), Ireland, from where he sailed due west, expecting to reach Asia. However, landfall was reached in North America on 24 June 1497. His precise landing place is a matter of much controversy, with Cape Bonavista or St. John's in Newfoundland the most likely sites.

Cabot went ashore to take possession of the land, and explored the coast for some time, probably departing on 20 July. On the homeward voyage his sailors incorrectly thought they were going too far north, so Cabot sailed a more southerly course, reaching Brittany instead of England. On 6 August he arrived back in Bristol.

Name:  3005866109_1_3_kGZOtpDh.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  49.2 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Bill, you only seem to photograph them with backing wind.
    Great photos anyway!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Bill, you only seem to photograph them with backing wind.
    Great photos anyway!
    It's not Bill! In America, we have a tradition with our historic ship reproductions of motoring with the sails set to impress those not in the know....

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    It's not Bill! In America, we have a tradition with our historic ship reproductions of motoring with the sails set to impress those not in the know....
    BINGO !!!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Aha!
    Well... I've only seen set sails when actually sailing here in Europe.

Even when I was on a pirate larp on a brig, we only used the engine with set sails to round an island that upset the winds and sailed before and after. Otherwise we took in the sails for the very little time we used the engine.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Jonas,
    To Dobbs point, here are a couple of more photos of the Kalmar Nyckel on another day -- no sails but under motorized power. Sorry for the quality of the photos but it was an overcast day and I only had my phone with me to take the pictures. BTW -- the ship passing the Nyckel is the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Penobscot Bay.
    best,
    Bill
    Name:  Kalmar Nyckel 2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  Kalmar Nyckel 3.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  Kalmar Nyckel 4.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  140.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That was my problem with the Matthew too Bill. Most of the shots of that were in the Docks under motor power. You have to get right out into the Bristol Channel to see her under sail.
    Rob.