Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default A small diversion.

or The sacrificial lamb.

Here was a little game which I played against Captain Kiwi a couple of weeks ago when we had a spare morning.

Name:  AvS.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  86.3 KB

The plot was to lure a rampaging French Frigate which was preying on merchant traffic into a trap with the Armed merchant ship Rose used a a sacrificial lamb. It happened that this was not the way things turned out at all, as will be explained to you anon.

Name:  Fort el Castile.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  149.0 KB

The Spanish fort at this time of the war was an allied one and thus the Anglo American force expected the French to steer well clear of it.

Andy opted to play the French.

The best laid plans are only good until the first shot!............ to be continued.

Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A Small diversion.

Name:  Fort el Castile.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  149.0 KB

Fort Castile.

Fully expecting the French to steer well clear of the Spanish forts the British Admiral set his ambush.

Name:  IMG_6488.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  153.6 KB

Trailing his coat outside the offshore islands was the armed Merchant ship Rose.
    Meanwhile lurking behind the island on the landward side were the two Sloops of war HMS Swan and the USS Atlanta.

Name:  IMG_6487.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  151.1 KB

The British commodore was most put out when the French Frigate having hove into sight and obviously smelling a rat, ignored the bait and turned towards the Spanish shore.

Name:  IMG_6486.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  183.2 KB

He then chose to hug the coastline heading toward the Spanish fort.

Name:  IMG_6489.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  213.4 KB

Taken by surprise the fort was only able to get a single shot off at him as he rounded the next headland.

Name:  IMG_6490.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  206.4 KB

By this time after a hurried flurry of signals the Anglo American force, their plans all awry had recalled the Rose and decided to descend en mass upon the Frigate in the bay.

Name:  IMG_6491.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  199.6 KB

By this time the impudent Frenchman had anchored below the fort where its guns could not bear.

Name:  IMG_6492.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  179.5 KB

The Allied attack went in with USS Atlanta anchoring across the bow of the French Frigate whilst Swan .opened upon its Port beam damaging her rudder.

Name:  IMG_6493.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  215.6 KB

The French replied hitting the HMS Swan and decimating her crew.

Name:  IMG_6495.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  207.8 KB

Atlanta now raked the Frenchman, taking down his fore-top mast and hitting his crew hard.

Name:  IMG_6494.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  202.2 KB

Realizing that his position was untenable the French captain raised his anchor and headed toward Atlanta. This allowed Rose to move up and get off her opening broadside, cutting down even more of the French seamen.

Name:  IMG_6496.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  208.7 KB

The Spanish Fort now settled the matter with its second volley of the game and the French struck their colours.

Name:  IMG_6497.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  173.8 KB

Unfortunately one near miss struck the Atlanta and caused several crew casualties.A friendly fire incident.(Our zero overshoot rule.)

Name:  IMG_6498.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  160.8 KB

Here we see the untenable situation in which the French Captain discovered himself at the end of the battle with the Spanish hurriedly preparing heated shot.

Name:  IMG_6499.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  154.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6500.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  144.5 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Butcher's Bill.

Name:  IMG_6501.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  181.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6502.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  181.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6503.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  190.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6505.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  195.6 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the great A.A.R., Rob! Did you have some special rules for concealing the sloops from Captain Kiwi's bird's eye view as a player? I noticed that you made extensive use of your laser pointer.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dave.
    You can position your two hidden ships after a number of moves by the enemy. Say three for an example. His brief was to take the merchant ship, so i expected him to take the bait, but we have been playing so many years he expects the unexpected.
    Have you read any of the solo AARs? Not many people seem to have read or commented on them for the last couple of years.

https://sailsofglory.org/forumdispla...-Solo-Campaign

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Thanks for this fine AAR, with nice photos, scenery and props. I'm curious about two things that you mentioned in the AAR. One question is about the fort's guns not being able to bear - at what range were they able/unable? The other is your zero overshoot rule that caused the friendly-fire incident. How does this work?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good morning Andrew.
    We have a rule for guns as follows:- If the battery is at sea level it can fire at the usual distances as fir ships until the ship is within musket range on the ruler. If the guns are on cliff tops they get extra range out to sea up to one and a half rulers distance, but over a ruler they only have half effect rounded up. So for instance a battery with say five A's at long range at extra long would only have three A's. Once a ship is at chain shot range, the guns cannot depress to hit.

For overshoots, if another ship is within chain shot range and directly in line behind the one fired at, any misses ie 0 chits are redrawn as A chits to see if the ball hit the non targeted ship.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Another xcellent report there Rob, really enjoyed reading it

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris.
    Andy and I enjoyed it, and the outcome was somewhat unexpected.
    Rob.