Thread: Spanish San Agustin/Bahama question

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Default Spanish San Agustin/Bahama question

These are the ship logs for this model. San Agustin is a 64 according to the card, Bahama is a 74. The model has the proportions of a 64 but the broadside weight is higher for the San Agustin than the 74 Bahama. Does anyone know of any reason why this should be so or is it just some SoG anomaly? Apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Name:  B5730284-AD9F-4D46-8AEA-6EE32DED1FEA.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  209.9 KB
    Name:  80864CF8-6A31-4B22-B4C5-A66842DBD034.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  214.2 KB
    Name:  66C4B921-3273-4A2E-BAAE-D4034D1CC61A.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  192.9 KB

The 74 Argonauta is just there for size comparison.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hey Steve, did you switch out the bowsprit on your Bahama?

In my opinion, the current editors of SoG should be sacked. There is a discrepancy like this with the Mahonesas too. One of the ships has an extra box of damage. My advice is go with your gut, or use Wikipedia or 3 sails (or whatever it is called) to refine your gut.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

I just cut the spritsail off with a scalpel so the ships don't all look the same.

I think the easiest solution would be to swap the names on the console so the 64 is less powerful than the 74, instead of the opposite.

Also, the crew size is the wrong way round, more on the San Agustin than the Bahama. Looks like someone really got screwed up on this one.
    Last edited by Bilge Rat; 07-17-2018 at 17:10.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bilge Rat View Post
    I just cut the spritsail off with a scalpel so the ships don't all look the same.
    So that is the jib that came with the model? I'm only asking because it looks like it is blowing the same way as the spanker. I thought Ares reversed the jibs (like the wind was blowing a different direction) on those minis. It makes it far more appealing to me if they are correcting it.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I get rid of all of my spritsails, as they were out of fashion by this time period. I replace them with a bare yard and a dolphin striker. You may be able to see examples in my saved pictures on my profile.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Yes, its the original jib

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I see in the Ares backgrounds on the ships that The Bahama had 32 pounders on her lower deck, while the San Augustin had 24 pounders. Maybe they just got the names reversed on the cards?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Thats what I was wondering

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Chris,( Captain Duff) DB,Dave Manley and several others I had a discussion about these anomalies when the ships came out Steve. There are size problems as well. I think that Chris has redone most of the ships logs to conform better with the French and British ones of similar size and punching power. if you ask him I'm sure he will slip you the gen. We might as well all be singing from the same hymn sheet. I have photo-shopped several of my logs to conform better with what the stats should be, but as far as I know only Chris has the full stats.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The San Agustin was a 74 gun ship according to Goodwins Ships of Trafalgar with broadside weight of 678 pounds (307kg) 714 (323kg) if counting the spanish version of carronades with an armament of lower deck 28x24pdr, upper deck 30x18pdr, qdeck and forecastle 18x8pdr.

Three decks have her as a 70 gun ship with a bside wt of 1109.212 lbs 471.852 kg, with an armament of lower deck 28x36pdr, upper deck 30x18pdr, qdeck and forecastle 6x8pdr and 16x 30/24pdr carronades.

Goodwin gives a crew complement of 683 at Trafalgar
    So take your pick, but either way looks like the Ares card is incorrect and needs to be changed
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 07-18-2018 at 02:05.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your clarification on this one Chris.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I think you should compare it with as an example the British 74 gun ships she might fight before you just switch cards. I think there's more work to be done.

After some consideration I am almost leaning towards raising the stats of all old ships to fit the new Spanish as that stretches the scale a bit and makes for more room for variation.
    It does make first broadside more important though.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that is an interesting proposition Jonas. It would certainly help to fit in ships at the bottom of the rungs.
    Bye the way, I do like your new Avatar picture, very imposing.
    rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Now that is an interesting proposition Jonas. It would certainly help to fit in ships at the bottom of the rungs.
    When comparing the French 74 and the British 100 we noticed there was no room for the big 3rd rates (80) and definitely not for 2nd rates... The values need to be spread out a little more if we really want to differentiate between 50 - 64 - 68 - 70 - 74 - 80 - 98 - 100 - 112 - 120 - 136. (Not necessarily in that order!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Bye the way, I do like your new Avatar picture, very imposing.
    You're just impressed because my coat is made to look like an admiral's coat... or is it the medals?
    The glorious action I'm involved in is keeping an eye on a pair of nieces at a health resort.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post

You're just impressed because my coat is made to look like an admiral's coat... or is it the medals?
    The glorious action I'm involved in is keeping an eye on a pair of nieces at a health resort.
    Both Jonas! As you see from my Avatar I only have one medal.
    Bligh.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It's the Davison medal for the battle of the nile and Boulton's trafalgar medal. I'm guessing your's is a Naval gold medal. Mine were given for participation...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Bligh got his for Camperdown, but my personal one is the Nile Medal for last year at Doncaster. Sven got the Legion of Honour for running the French Fleet.
    Rob.