Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Some ship, some launch.

The photos I have been sent by a Re-enactor friend in a Russian gun crew are the launch of the 54gun battleship Poltava.

Name:  .facebook_1527544633347.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  .facebook_1527544505556.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  .facebook_1527544573854.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  .facebook_1527544414353.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  57.6 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just received this second batch.

Name:  .facebook_1527544608959.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  facebook_1527544505556.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  facebook_1527544540674.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  facebook_1527544573854.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  51.5 KB

I wonder why the french can produce such superb replica warships, and so can the Russians, but we seem to be content with HMS Victory in dry dock?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Not to pour salt in your wounds Rob, but not only the French and the Russians...

Name:  OstindieGotheborg.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  149.5 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And the answer to the question of why a totalitarian state that murders journalists would make a symbol of it's might in past times named after a battle where they defeated a foreign nation allied with freedom fighters from a now free country that that totalitarian state is in the act of invading is a little too political question to be answered on this forum, I would think.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It is a beautiful ship.

Poltava (Russian: Полтава) was a 54-gun ship of the line of the Russian Navy that was launched on 15 June 1712 at Saint Petersburg. The ship was named after an important victory for Russia over the Swedish Empire in the Battle of Poltava and was the first battleship laid down and built at the St. Petersburg Admiralty. [Source: Wikipedia]

Name:  54.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  142.8 KB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...Poltava_(1712)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Not to pour salt in your wounds Rob, but not only the French and the Russians...

Name:  OstindieGotheborg.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  149.5 KB
    Another beautiful lady Jonas.
    It's not so much the salt that stings, it is lack of Government initiative to promote our vast naval historical and shipbuilding tradition, in a way that can be demonstrated around the world. I'm sure it would also prove to be a nice little earner like the Victory.
    If I won the Lottery I know where the money would go!
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Oh, if I only had those ridiculous amounts of money needed...
    Götheborg above were too expensive to keep sailing so she was very nearly sold to China. She sailed there and back like the original 2005-2007. Now she will only lay in Göteborg and probably never sail again.

To build a ship and spend years and years on it. I got a reminder of how fun that would be when I sailed on La Grace. The Czech captain Josef Dvorsky sails her years on end with only a small vacation on land once a year.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What a sublime idea Jonas.
    Rob.