Thread: Huzzah! 2018: Battle of the Virginia Capes

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Default Huzzah! 2018: Battle of the Virginia Capes

Battle of the Virginia Capes, AKA Battle of the Chesapeake, 5 September 1781

A game at the Huzzah! convention May 18th to 20th in Portland, ME.

More pictures here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskBC9f6W

Order of Battle:
    The models used are listed, with the ship represented, if different, in parenthesis, followed by the point value of the model.

British:

Van:

HMS Argonaut, 64 (HMS Intrepid, 64) 111
    HMS Goliath, 74 (HMS Princessa, 70) 135 Flag
    HMS America, 64 118

Center:

HMS Vanguard, 74 (HMS Resolution, 74) 135
    HMS Britannia, 100 (HMS London, 98) 187 Flag
    HMS Agamemnon, 64 (HMS Europe, 64) 126

Rear:

HMS Africa, 64 (Belliqueux, 64) 126
    HMS Royal George, 100 (HMS Barflear, 98) 181 Flag

Total points: 1119

French:

Van:

Protee, 64 (Reflechi, 64) 102
    Neptune, 80 (Auguste, 80) 171 Flag
    Fougueux, 74 (Cesar, 74) 143

Center:

Genereux, 74 (Destin, 74) 143
    Commerce de Marseille, 118 (Ville de Paris, 110) 200 Flag
    Artesien, 64 (Solitaire, 64) 102

Rear:

Bucentaure, 80 (Languedoc, 80) 171 Flag
    Le Berwick, 74 (Hector, 74) 135

Total Points: 1167

The British have the weather gauge, the French have a slight edge in points.

Both fleets are sailing due east in line, just out of range, with approximately 2 stand lengths between the ships. Historically, this was around 4 PM. The wind is from due north (it was from the NNE historically) which puts all ships close hauled.

Dick, Chris and Bill were playing the British, and Jack, Mario and Dan were the French. We were playing the Basic rules as the players had not had a lot of experience with the rules.

Turns One and Two did not see many broadsides, and those that were fired did minimal damage. Some of the British players were feeling their inner Nelsons and were holding fire until they were at close range.

Turn 3 got quite a bit hotter, with the Vanguard hitting the Berwick with a bow rake and the Britannia nearly colliding with the Bucentaure.

Turns 4 and 5 saw multiple ranks, mostly by a bows, but a couple by the stern.

Turn 6 saw the first casualty, as the Artesien ran out of hull boxes and sank.

Turn 7 was quiet, with most of the ships having fired their broadsides in turn 6, or having maneuvered out of each other’s firing arc.

Turn 8 saw the French suffer another loss, this time with the Protee running out of crew boxes, mostly courtesy of the Goliath.

Turn 9 found that the Goliath had paid a steep price for the punishment it dealt out to the Protee, as she lost her last crew box to the Neptune.

Turn 10 was another quiet turn. Perhaps it was the copious quantities of rum being issued to the ship’s companies!

Turn 11 saw more intense action, with the Fougueux, for the French, and the Argonaut for the British striking.

Turn 12 saw the end of the game period, and the end for the Africa as well.

Each side lost 3 ships, with the points favoring the French. However, no French ship had more than two hull or two crew boxes left, and while most of the British ships were in similar condition, the Royal George had only lost two hull boxes and one crew box, so a narrow victory was awarded to the British.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1444.jpg   DSC_1445.jpg   DSC_1449.jpg   DSC_1450.jpg   DSC_1460.jpg  

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for posting!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Michael,
    Thanks for running this game -- I had a great time playing in it -- I am looking forward to what you run in next year's Huzzah !
    Bill

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the A.A.R., Michael. It sounds like you had a good time.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice Pictures and it looks like a fun and interesting game.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Default Huzzah! 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Michael,
    Thanks for running this game -- I had a great time playing in it -- I am looking forward to what you run in next year's Huzzah !
    Bill
    Bill, I have an idea or two for next year, but there could be changes depending on the release of new ships. I hoping for a Santissima Trinidad, in which case I'll probably do Trafalgar again with more ships, or the Whydah (https://flic.kr/s/aHskE4WmXk) and some other similar ships, in which case I'll do a game where everyone gets to use their best pirate accent. If they release both, I would probably run two games!

If nothing else, I'm thinking of running a modified Battle of the Nile game, either where I run the French since they are at anchor and only need to decide who to shoot at, or a scenario where the fleets meet somewhere in the Mediterranean for a more active game.

Michael

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Michael, keep me posted -- if I am extant I will play in the game! (and if I am not, I will try to make a special guest appearance...) BTW -- If you decide on Trafalgar, I have a number of Spanish ships if needed.
    best,
    Bill

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you do decide to do either Trafalgar or the Nile which we will have done at Doncaster by then. I will be happy to pass on any information about those games and copies of any game aids which I have Michael.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.