Thread: Has anyone seen this documentary? Broadside Emerging Empires Collide

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Default Has anyone seen this documentary? Broadside Emerging Empires Collide

Broadside Emerging Empires Collide
    Throughout the 17th Century, the Dutch and English fought a series of deadly and costly wars over which country would dominate world trade for the next two centuries. They waged massive sea battles in Europe and embarked on violent raids from Asia to Africa and North America. This dramatic film takes it's name from warships of the time, with batteries of cannons and guns on each side of the hull. Directed by: Bruce Twickler

What are your thoughts about the Documovie?
    Personally I found it rather interesting and now I want to do some scenarios based on that period!

Yes I have seen it. I did think it was well done. If I recall correctly they had some CGI battle scenes as well as reenactors portraying the various personalities from the Anglo-Dutch Wars.

If you are interested in 17th century ships Langton makes 1/1200 scale metal models. A less expensive way to go is with paper ships. War Artisan makes 1/600 scale Anglo-Dutch wars ships. You can print them out in 1/1000 and use SoG with some modification.

http://warartisan.com/ships/1600_scale_ships

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Yes I have seen it. I did think it was well done. If I recall correctly they had some CGI battle scenes as well as reenactors portraying the various personalities from the Anglo-Dutch Wars.

If you are interested in 17th century ships Langton makes 1/1200 scale metal models. A less expensive way to go is with paper ships. War Artisan makes 1/600 scale Anglo-Dutch wars ships. You can print them out in 1/1000 and use SoG with some modification.

http://warartisan.com/ships/1600_scale_ships
    Exactly, the CGI was fairly well done, as well as the "Live acting". At the moment I'm looking at using just he SoG ships mainly due to $$ reasons. Thanks for the tip on the others though!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is high time that Ares did some Dutch ships, but with Trafalgar dominating our thoughts and the actions with the Dutch being somewhat limited I'm afraid we will be fortunate indeed to see any, much less those of the 17th century unless Ares decide to go down the Pirates route.
    i would be quite interested to pit my HEIC against them in the Indies.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, Dutch... and then Swedish and Russian. (I can dream...)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Don't give up your dreams Jonas.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Looking at the Langton ships, they're not too expensive (cheaper than SoG), but no budget is no budget. However, SoG ships will look totally wrong for the period. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For myself I have not decided anything.

After a sad experience with paper models and a piece of scenery falling onto them whilst packing away I am not inclined to follow that route. Besides paper boats tend to go soggy and sink in water unless shellacked very thoroughly when they then become a fire hazard.

Rob.