Thread: Edward Woodward & Battleground

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default Edward Woodward & Battleground

I stumbled on this 1970's TV series last night while following up on a new war game covering the US Civil War. I never knew about this series and only a few of the episodes have found their way to YouTube. If you watch closely in the background of the Gettysburg series you'll see they did one for The Battle of the Nile, but unfortunately that is not on YouTube at this point. They did Waterloo, Gettysburg and Edgehill, which you can watch on YouTube. A little further digging and I found this blog which has a bit more information on the series, including information on The Battle of the Nile episode.

http://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.c...tleground.html

"Battle of the Nile (first shown 23/03/1978)
    A Naval game fought out between two Halifax club members, Steve Birnie & John Harrison. (Steve Birnie had recently published a set of 18th Century Naval Rules at the time, although whether that was before or after the show I don't know)."

The videos have to be watched on YouTube. Inserting here is prohibited and some of you may well not even be able to watch them from this link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po1p...z3gImY388My00J

Cheers!

P.S. The video quality is poor, but considering the age these were done I'm happy with anything.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 05-16-2018 at 15:17. Reason: typo
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just dipped into Edgehill Jim. There was my old friend Duncan McFarlane playing the Royalists.
    I will watch the whole series as soon as i get time.
    Thanks for flagging this up.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I remember seeing some of these back in the "olden days" on my local PBS channel (there was no BBC America in those days) -- they were hard to find back then as well. I was only a few years into war gaming when I saw these shows and it really impressed upon me the potential panoply of more large scale gaming than the small games I was playing in those days. I'm going to watch them all once again when there is time -- it will be like visiting with an old friend...

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I remember that Edward Woodward's famous character Callan was a wargamer in his spare time, which is possibly why he was the compere of the programme.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One episode of Callan actually featured Gettysburg in the plot.

Name:  callan.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  173.9 KB

Name:  Callan03-01.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  40.3 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    One episode of Callan actually featured Gettysburg in the plot.

Rob.
    Nice find, Rob. For obvious reasons I'd love to see anything that was done for the Nile, but that episode and other coverage seems to have completely disappeared?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Just dipped into Edgehill Jim. There was my old friend Duncan McFarlane playing the Royalists.
    I will watch the whole series as soon as i get time.
    Thanks for flagging this up.
    Rob.
    When Duncan was doing the "Wargamer's Illustrated" bit he used to come across the pond to game with the Yanks at HMGS conventions. He was very gentlemanly whilst thrashing me in a tournament game of Warhammer Ancient Battles a number of years ago!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very nice of you to say so Eric. he is one of the world's gentlemen.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Nice find, Rob. For obvious reasons I'd love to see anything that was done for the Nile, but that episode and other coverage seems to have completely disappeared?
    I could not find anything on the Nile either Jim, but I will keep searching for it.
    Rob.