Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Default How to make a wreck.

Name:  7E24D173-CBDD-47C5-AED3-3A58D7B943F1.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  62.2 KB

After having built my 80 gun conversions (https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....orten)-a-ship) I was left with parts of 74s that was missing a small part in the middle. From this I have made wrecks.

Either I've used the stern or the stem or both. When using both there was a part missing in the middle that I in one instance covered by a sail or in another rebuilt using Milliput epoxy putty. Here I have built a wreck using the left over stem.

First I cut out a piece of plasticard. It's just a flat piece of plastic.
    Then I put some Milliput on the bottom of the ship piece to give the angle of the stem that I wanted and let that harden.

Name:  993B119E-8A7F-42F9-9DBE-F4931E115D2A.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  179.1 KB

This made it easier to extend the hull into the water. You may notice that I didn't sculpt gunports and such very well. I mostly tried to follow the lines of the hull. I also sculpted the bottom of the stem that rises up out of the water.

Name:  0186D7D6-D38D-4472-A056-0832DFEA99B8.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  157.0 KB

To make the masts I use toothpicks. I put a knife perpendicular to the toothpick and scraped it wile turning it. It's very hard taking a picture of the process, but I hope you understand what I mean. I make several differing thicknesses this way.

Name:  9A83FC9B-AA3B-4EAA-B642-98F4BE6F6300.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  232.2 KB

Those thinned out toothpicks can be used to make spars, bowsprit and topmasts depending on how thin they got.
    I also used a wooden thing that is used to stirr coffey instead of plastic spoons to make fighting tops. While drilling a hole for the mast they often split but I just glue the parts together in place. I also used this to make the small part of the quarterdeck that is above water.

Name:  DF4E7386-276A-44D5-9164-34920179C079.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  253.0 KB

Here you can see several thicknesses and the bowsprit replaced. You can see the added deck with the drilled hole for the main mast. The hull has also been painted. As you can see the gunports are mostly just painted. I made a few that were sculpted but none had guns in them. I thought of adding guns and removing guns from the originals to make for damaged guns from the fight but ended up just using it as is.

Name:  90454128-22E2-403A-96D0-AEBD0F4C90BE.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  179.2 KB

Next I glue the ship to the base and drill the hole for the main mast all the way through the base to make sure it will be stable.

Name:  ABDD14AC-6727-4931-88DD-6095C76A56A8.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  147.9 KB

Next I add waves. I build them out of plaster and use either the back end of an exacto knife to make the waves or the curve of a blade for the exacto.
    I know that Julián uses something like toilet paper and glue to make his waves.

Name:  1E277376-4933-4A4A-834A-992D21CEDFC4.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  141.1 KB

When the plaster/papier-mâché has hardend I cut the edges and do some clean up on any faults that need to be corrected. If you were using plaster and you accidentally put some on the ship it may be removed by brushing it with just water, but with a slight force applied. Then I added the stump of the mizzen. It was just glued in a hole drilled through the plaster and base. The lower end was cut in an angle to be able to extend as far as possible without sticking out below the base. The top end was just broken off. The waves and masts were painted and the ship touched up. The masts except for the mizzen are still not glued at this stage. I didn't worry too much about leaving a little blue paint on the ship as by adding a little white close to the ship it looks like splashing water.

Name:  D0FA090E-DCA9-4878-A9B1-E97ECABADA51.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  145.9 KB

In this photo the mizzenmast can be seen independently sticking out of the sea.

Name:  6F82F37E-3FFA-4526-94CF-645C2A53F8FA.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  228.3 KB

At this time I added the tops and broken off topmasts/topgallantmast to the fore and main masts.

A bit of rigging makes them fit in better with my other ships.

Name:  C52EAFE5-57CC-47E6-A87D-699178BBF86F.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  236.1 KB
    Name:  91032213-30C8-4659-A307-E12867AC6254.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  201.1 KB

When I made the first wreck I glued the two short pieces to the base and added the water and draped a bit of paper as a fallen sail over the middle of the ship.
    I think it turned out ok, even though I'm not that happy with keeping the original sail on the mizzen. I made holes in it by warming a needle and pushing it through.

Name:  91D877C1-BC62-49E1-AC74-5A1791379F98.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  175.2 KB

I made another wreck using both the stem and stern but joining them using Milliput. The resulting ship was also filed down to make it lay low in the water.
    Modelling waves makes ships to appear to be low in the water, but this made it look like they really would have to have the pumps going all night.
    On this one I added a little more debris to make it look more chaotic and really battlescared. It's also good to hide things you're not completely happy with. I will probably add some of that to the others too.

Name:  5CFDBF77-48ED-4223-8D0D-FF7055561663.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  189.2 KB
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-05-2018 at 02:21.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks very good Jonas. I now know how to get spars for my Orient after I rob out its masts for the Santisima Trinidad which Clipper sent me.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

If no one have any suggestions or questions I think it's finished.

SeaDog7, I hope this is what you wanted to know.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    If no one have any suggestions or questions I think it's finished.

SeaDog7, I hope this is what you wanted to know.
    Jonas, this is very helpful. I've picked up a Montagne to scavenge masts for my Santisima Trinidad and was contemplating using the hull for a wreck. I'm selling off my old Games Workshop Man o War ships to finance my Sails of Glory addiction and I have found a box of their mast sprues that I plan to use for masts and spars. I really love the wreck with the sail draped over it! I have also been thinking about using my Dremel to drill holes into the hull to simulate battle damage: what are your thoughts on that? Rep point!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The first wreck I did was the one with the draped sail. On that I painted some dark spots to simulate battle damage.
    It worked ok, but not great. On the last picture you can see some holes I made in the Milliput part in the middle. There's one hole where two gunports are connected to make a big hole. I think it worked well there, but the models don't have any real space inside so it will just be holes that you will have to paint to make them look good.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Incidentally Jonas you can make a quite adequate turning tool by putting a cocktail stick in a hand drill and abrading it whilst it is being rotated. Even a hand drill works quite well.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

To answer your question Richard, I always distress my sails as well a the ships sides on my wrecks.
    I will be doing another burner soon.
    Rob.

Great work, Jonas!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Incidentally Jonas you can make a quite adequate turning tool by putting a cocktail stick in a hand drill and abrading it whilst it is being rotated. Even a hand drill works quite well.
    Rob.
    Aww, the heck with that! I did my lighthouse in a battery powered drill with a file. Granted, there may have been a few discards.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is all very well for a Lighthouse Dobbs, but I feel it may be a bit excessive for a flimsy cocktail stick to assault it with a file. To say nothing about the proximity of knuckles to a rotating drill head if the stick fractured.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That is all very well for a Lighthouse Dobbs, but I feel it may be a bit excessive for a flimsy cocktail stick to assault it with a file. To say nothing about the proximity of knuckles to a rotating drill head if the stick fractured.
    Rob.
    The other solution is bigger cocktails and bigger cocktail sticks...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sound idea Dobbs.
    I'll drink to that.
    Bligh.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Excellent Info Jonas, cheers

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries