Thread: Sour mistake(s) - beginners' lessons in solo play

Threaded View

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Default Sour mistake(s) - beginners' lessons in solo play

As a newcomer to the game, I’m still learning about it, especially manoeuvring. I’ve tried a few battles with friends, family and solo.
    I wanted to learn more about solo play, so using the advanced game rules, I played the historical scenario “A Sour Mistake” using the following three solo rulesets:

1. Sails of glory solo software by DGH (Android)
    2. Sails of Glory solo rules by Herkybird (Movement charts)
    3. Sails of Glory Generator by G-Two (Fred Miracle’s rules, Android)

I’m not sure if I’m using the solo rules correctly. Thus, for these AARs, I’m going to try to clearly show the AI ship’s manoeuvre in the photos from each turn. Any tips from the community on how to play the solo rules correctly would be appreciated! Hopefully, this thread might then be of help to other beginners who also want to try solo play.

The main questions I have are: how to play the solo rules given the “Time to React” rule (i.e. planning manoeuvre cards one turn in advance); what to do when the AI ship is taken aback; and, when and how to replace random cards with pre-determined ones under certain circumstances.

In the historical scenario “A Sour Mistake”, I played the frigate HMS Minerva and the solo apps/chart would take care of the French frigate Concorde. The set-up gives Concorde a chance to fire a broadside on HMS Minerva, which has unloaded guns. In reality, HMS Minerva suffered an explosion and heavy damage before surrendering. Captain Stott of HMS Minerva died of wounds incurred during the action.

I used the Ares Courageuse model to represent Concorde and HMS Concorde model to represent HMS Minerva (confusing, I know!). I played with the advanced rules and all the optional rules, except for variable wind strength (though I did use it in the first AAR). The captains and crew of the ships have no abilities or penalties. I also played with the “Field of Fire” rule from the Historical Scenario booklet, limiting the extent of the forward and rear fire arcs by stipulating that the main mast has to be within the arc for the ship to be able to fire.

I played through each solo ruleset 3 times. For now, I’m going to post one AAR for each ruleset. Maybe later I’ll add summaries of the other games. This thread is not intended to be about which set of solo rules is the best. In fact, I recommend all three as they play differently, and I’m of the impression that a bit of variation will only improve your game.
    Each action opened in the same way – with me turning HMS Minerva as hard as possible to starboard. I found that carrying out this evasive manoeuvre was the only certain way for HMS Minerva to avoid a short range broadside, which is more likely to result in HMS Minerva receiving serious damage on the first turn.

Through his telescope, Captain Stott of the Minerva watches in horror as he realises the merchantman he was peacefully approaching has more gun ports than normal - it’s a frigate preparing to fire! Stott instantly realises the HMS Minerva’s perilous position and immediately starts barking orders. The crew responds by loading the empty cannons, switching to backing sails, steering hard to starboard and bracing for the impact of the Concorde’s long range broadside.
    Last edited by Fabbe; 04-25-2018 at 12:53. Reason: Added colour to the links