United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Santa Ana Class scratch build class

Name:  santa_ana_max.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  39.4 KB

Here is a fun (?) walk through the dark forest of my madness . . . it all starts with a a good cup of dark roast coffee and a bit of research. In this case appealing to the members of the site and where they lead you. Wiki is a good start for the family line, lots of details. Here is my best find: https://www.todoababor.es/listado/navio-santaana2.htm

Name:  20180422_081637.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  156.9 KB

I usually print off the info and make a folder. Each of the ships names and specifics are highlighted, actual dimensions when given are golden. here we have a good number of sister ships so the build will be designed for multiple molds and resin pouring in mind. A word on images. They are nice, but like muffins, not all are alike and subject to errors. Find the most consistent ones and group them together, use them as primary references, but keep the odd ones around for further details.

Name:  santa_ana2_max.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  241.5 KB

Name:  santana_max.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  104.8 KB

A good hull plan is wonderful, and here we are lucky . . .

Name:  20180422_081656.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  126.6 KB

And an artist rendering is good for a few more points!

Name:  navio-santa-ana-max.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  84.7 KB

This illustration includes a sail plan . . . way cool!

Name:  santana_max.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  104.8 KB

Step 2 is maths. You need to settle on a drawing, or make one, at a large scale, then shrink it to our scale 1/1000. Start with the reference dimensions, length and beam. for me I convert both to inches ( x 12) then divide by 1000. Measure the length on your drawing, here we enter the first wall of the maze, the length measurement is typically unreliable. Are we talking ocerall length from stern to tip of bowspirit? Deck length? Keel length? Waterline length? Yikes! Finally make a commitment to what you have. Santa Ana seems to have a waterline length of 184 feet which in our scale becomes 2.2". Beam of 51 feet becomes .64" Its your build. If you are anal and must have the precise measurements, good luck. Standarization of measure had not yet happened in these days, see the history on the Vassa! Then there will be some shrinking of size due to overzealous sanding, and if molding is in your ship's future a 1% or more shrinkage in the resin will occur depending on the resin, humidity and temperature of the process. . . a sip of G & T and we move on . . .

Name:  20180419_205236.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  122.6 KB

Did I mention you will need to reduce/enlarge your images to size? I use the wordprocessor's image tools and print off an image of the desired size . . . add some cool looking scribbles and declare it the Master Plan! Make several copies, on card stock if you can for making templates . . .

Name:  20180421_121330.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  86.2 KB

Plan view . . . cut out the plan view from card stock,

Name:  20180421_121613.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  104.9 KB

Select your medium, I had a nice block of Bass wood 3/8" thick, just right. Transfer the top view onto the wood using a sharp pencil and a lot of care. You will need extra length beyond the stern and bow to accommodate the stern over hang and the bow structure.

Name:  20180421_121903.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  96.8 KB

Check your drawing against your tracing and head to the shop. I have a decent scroll saw for such uses already set up. . .

Name:  20180421_124347.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  104.4 KB

Count your fingers before and after sawing . . . since it is my madness to make at least 2 of everything, the second is done here as well.

Name:  20180421_124957.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  128.8 KB

A quick visit to the vertical belt sander to ture things up. Ships or blimps?

Name:  20180421_125814.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  112.5 KB

Compare your work to the Master Plan . . .

Name:  20180422_081926.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  67.5 KB

This is a bit trixie here, transferring the side image to the block . . .

Name:  20180422_081929.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  72.1 KB

Include the mast locations on the side view as well . . .

Name:  20180422_081926.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  67.5 KB

And some stern details . . .

Name:  20180422_081921.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  83.6 KB

Nearly ready for the knife work, a bit of planning here saves frustrations later . . . consider the cross section of the ship. wider at the waterline than the top deck . . . add a few dimensions to work towards. At this scale the final bulwarks are wanting to be 1/32" so then the actual deck will be engraves down say 1/20" . . .

Name:  20180422_081934.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  77.0 KB

Next time we will gather with a really sharp knife and a lot of bandages . . .

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

cant say anything. Crack on Dave looking forward to seeing this one progress

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Wozer!? I'm incredibly impressed. Not only are we seeing the Santa Ana take form, but I'm really enjoying your effort to document the entire process. Amazing! Thank you and the elves. Keep them in plenty of G & T's, but not too many when working with sharp knives.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I was so amazed that I even drew Mrs Bligh's attention to this start of your magnum opus for Sails Dave.

The first movement nearly brought this old Admiral to tears.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I look forward to seeing the progress of this project. Really interesting.

Outstanding David! While your initial steps mirror my own in starting a scratchbuild, the rest is very different. I am learning a lot here.
    Vol

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Will be back on the project this week, had a few life crisis' to attend to . . .

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nothing serious I hope Dave.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.