Thread: Tips for a demo

Landsman
    Lithuania

Log Entries
    Name
    Pijus

Default Tips for a demo

Hi, all!

In a couple of weeks, I am going to hold a Sails of Glory demo in a wargaming event, with the hope to attract new players in Lithuania (so far, SoG has been a home game for me). So, I'd like to ask if you could give me any tips on how to run it better, e.g., shich rules to include and similar suggestions. Thanks!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Pijus.

Keep the rules simple for beginners. Stick to fighting sails only, ball only for guns, and no reduction in efficiency for sails or rudder damage. We tend to only have Fire and Hull damage plus crew casualties to start off.
    I have also got a set of A4 laminated cards of each maneuver, plus one ship card and a ship log card to show the group what you are explaining. You can then teach the whole group in one rather than going round to each of the group in turn. Saves a lot of time.
    Same goes for damage chits when you are firing.
    I'm sure that the other GMs on here will have something to add too.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Lithuania

Log Entries
    Name
    Pijus

Hi, Rob,

I'm very grateful for the tips, they're very useful! I'll definitely get the A4 cards done for easy explanation. Thanks a lot!