Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's on your workbench for April?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDog7 View Post
    I do have a quick question for you that is related to this project. What are you using as the base for the San Luis fortress? It looks too thin to be the blue Styrofoam insulation. Is it some kind of tile? I'm seriously wanting to build something much flatter for Admiral Vernon's 1741 attack on Cartagena.
    I quote from the earlier work on this model Richard.

"A new material for the base is used today. Foamed polystyrene called Palram.
    It is less thick than my styrene foam and gives much lower cliffs as I want this fort nearly at sea level. For the hills in the background the old team of Plasticard and polystyrene will be used as per normal.

Palram is also great for building constructs and can be heat bent."

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Thank you, sir! I have got to slow down and take my time working through the posts. Too many irons in the fire right now! I will check to see if we have this or an equivalent here in the States.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This may help Richard.

Palram operates three subsidiaries, polycarbonate and PVC sheet plants and a distribution center, all located in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Palram Americas, the distribution subsidiary, markets Palram’s products throughout the Americas and operates 6 warehouses across the country. The company’s corrugated products are the US DIY market leader.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

THAT WONDER OF WORK YOU HAVE DONE !!!

I really like the naturalness that you give to the landscape and the amount of details that you have added to each of the modules. I take my hat off.

Great projects Rob & Dobbs!

Prepare for some rep...

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Attachment 36911

My second island approaches completion.

Attachment 36912
    Nice island with shipwreck. Well made!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would like to thank you all gentlemen for the comments you have made about our work, and for the Rep given.
    As I have said before if it were not for Julián and co with all their beautiful accessories and support I would never have thought of making these models.
    Thanks again all of you.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I concur with Rob. I do wish the miniature manufacturers like Langton had pictures on their websites. Having never bought anything like what they list, I have no preconception of what it looks like!

Really, I think that the miniatures that Langton does, deserve a website according to its quality. Painted models where you can see all the potential of their models.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Amphion explores my finished island and wreck.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  120.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  105.9 KB

Very nice!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

My island is loosely patterned after Loggerhead Key and the shipwreck to the southwest (24 degrees 37'24.7"N x 82 degrees 56' 32.6"W). Suzanne and I dove on it about 20 years ago. I believe it sank in 1903, but it was a square-rigger, and still looked very much the part. It must have had steel standing rigging, because you could still see bits snaking across the bottom. It was all too easy to imagine the shock of what it must have been like that night.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly gives the whole diorama a certain added piquancy Dobbs, especially since you both experienced it at first hand.
    I do love the effect.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-15-2018 at 09:26.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Certainly gives the whole diorama a certain added frequency Dobbs, especially since you both experienced it at first hand.
    I do love the effect.
    Rob.
    Make sure you check out the original on Google Earth!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will certainly check it out.
    Please check out my edited message Dobbs. It should now make sense. ****** predictive text indeed. Just because it can't handle English properly. frequency/ piquancy indeed!
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Really nice tabletop bling Dobbs.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Wow Rob...................With the skills that you have have you even made a diorama like this for a naval museum. That is fantastic.

Just awesome Rob. I have a question though. Didn't they normally build ships with the stern to the water? I ask because my first harbor I mounted mine as you have with bow to the water and someone corrected me.

Rob you are the terrain master!

Landsman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Pedro M.

The detail is amazing, a harbour able to construct/repair a Santisima Trinidad in its dry dock (the white one, isn`t it?) !

A delight just to see the pictures. Thanks for keeping the site with so much fantastic content.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well spotted Pedro,
    I just slipped that in to see if anyone was paying attention and as a tribute to Clipper's skills.
    You win the observation prize for this Quiz.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

This was just posted on The Miniatures Page. It goes beyond awesome for a tabletop gaming diorama! Created by Ryan Devoto, I'm pretty sure I've seen his work before. I'd probably spend more time gawking than actually playing any miniature game?

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=438479
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Phenomenal Jim.
    I just blew up some of the pics, and I'm sure I know some of the people in the village square below the Castle.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

On the subject of Palram, I’m not sure if this fits the bill, but in the states the big box hardware store Menards carries PVC ceiling tiles that look like they might do the trick. Specifically the flat ones. Cut or score with a utility knife. 0.15 inches thick (3.8mm). I haven’t used them yet but thought I would share in case someone wants to beat me to it. I hope it helps.

Rob, your work is astounding! Very inspirational

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you very much Nick and also for the Rep.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Singapore

Log Entries
    Name
    Rafael

Impressive. It would be immersive to play on that board!