Thread: Maneuverablity of fore-and-aft rigged ships

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jed

Default Maneuverablity of fore-and-aft rigged ships

I just started reading the Osprey book 'Ships of the American Revolution' by Mark Lardas, and while discussing fore-and-aft rigged ships he says 'while these ships could sail closer to the wind than square-riggers, they were less maneuverable'. Is that true? In most of the rule sets I've played they are depicted as more maneuverable, but maybe that has to do more with size than with rig?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Dobbs, Texas, Nightmoss, Aaron, or Dave Manley are the men to answer that one for you Jed.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by dochejed View Post
    I just started reading the Osprey book 'Ships of the American Revolution' by Mark Lardas, and while discussing fore-and-aft rigged ships he says 'while these ships could sail closer to the wind than square-riggers, they were less maneuverable'. Is that true? In most of the rule sets I've played they are depicted as more maneuverable, but maybe that has to do more with size than with rig?
    With a 3 Masted ship situated around the center of gravity the captain could configure the sails to spin the ship around the center of gravity, or set one set against the wind (backing sails) and sit stopped on the water. Fore-aft didn’t have all of this easy flexibility.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Boats with fore and aft rigs were limited to Burdens 1. When we play, we allow all Burden 1 ships, regardless of type of rig, to plot one turn in advance instead of two, to reflect their agility.

A fore and aft rig allowed you to trim the sails closer to the centerline of the ship, thereby allowing you to sail closer to the wind. Because of their rigging, squareriggers could not sail closer than 60 degrees to the wind. They couldn't trim their yards any closer toward the centerline without hitting the shrouds. A fore and aft-er could manage 45 degrees, because the sails were inside the shrouds.

SoG is rather generous on the sailing angles in the game. I have posted more accurate, though still optimistic, cards around here somewhere. If you're interested, and can't find them, let me know, and I'll see if I can scare them up.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Another consideration as the size of the sails and therefore the manpower needed to work them. Individual sails on a square rigger were smaller than on a fore and aft rigged vessel of comparable size, so less effort was required to work them, particularly in high winds. And as noted above the flexibility in the square ri sail plan allowed for more flexibility in operation that allowed nuances of manoeuvre and ship handling that weren't available to F&A

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for your expertise gentlemen.
    I knew you would be able to answer much more coherently than I.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jed

Thanks for those responses. That's a real eye-opener for me, now I have to rethink my understanding of small ship tactics.

Jed

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A ship completely rigged with lateen sails (Xebec) have a bit more trouble tacking as the boom have to change side of the mast.