Thread: Storage and transport for miniatures

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Default Storage and transport for miniatures

This is how I store my SoG ships. These cases are available from Menards in the US. I replace the inner dividers with plastic card as the original red ones have a substantial lip which prevented the maneuver cards from fitting correctly. I have 4 of these cases, one for each fleet plus one for frigates.

Name:  3BE1D778-FDA1-419F-8688-9FCC4DA0C9DC.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  143.7 KB
    Last edited by Bilge Rat; 03-24-2018 at 12:32. Reason: Added photo

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

very neat and simple storage system Steve. 16 of those would house my entire fleet and allow me to rig them.
    pity I'm so tied into the system I use financial wise.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I take it you have glued your ships to the bases ?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

No they are just push fitted so I can turn the card inlays over.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

So dont they come loose, no damage ?
    I have had to use blutac on most of mine to keep on the base and thats for gameplay, I would like to have my ships all together, but due to the looseness of some ships I went a different method of travel .

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

I have only had that happen with one frigate and I solved it by squeezing the ‘peg’ a little with a pair of needle nosed pliers which helped get a tighter fit in the base. Another method I would suggest is to use white glue on the peg. It should help hold it all together but it’s not as permanent as plastic model glue. A little care is needed lifting the models from the storage because the mainmast is the obvious way of lifting them out but so far it has all worked out pretty well. You will notice that the manoveur card packs look a little slim, this is because the ‘broken mast’ cards are not included. I am still learning the advanced rules so only have those cards in play for two ships.

Perfect storage solution for ships and cards.

Transportation in this casewould be too dangerous for me. Put if you put in some extra foam peaces or bubble wrap...

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Default My Stowage / Storage system.

My current stowage/storage system. I recently upsized the rolling suitcase so that I can expand on the collection.
    In the box at the top turned sideways holds my home made islands and the SoG coast lines and batteries map accessories. Behind that is the ship log board mats.
    On the left side are my SoG mats rolled up and secured. Plenty of room for more game mats down the road. Plenty of room for more expansion with more storage boxes.
    If I choose to travel Commercially, then I can check this as luggage. prior to travel however, I would put cotton batting around the ships in their individual sections, because I know just how gentle baggage handlers are! NOT!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by The Mad Scot; 04-05-2018 at 09:52.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Nice application! Love to use practical ideas!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What I like is the fact that an actually usable squadron for both sides can be transported by air to shows.
    For something like Praagcon it would be excellent.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Bilge Rat, I take it that those are the ship log boards on the ends? Just curious, what do you put the ship log board mats and other stuff like damage chits, and such in?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Scot View Post
    Bilge Rat, I take it that those are the ship log boards on the ends? Just curious, what do you put the ship log board mats and other stuff like damage chits, and such in?
    I must apologise for not answering sooner. Yes, the log boards are stored at the ends. The log board mats have been glued on to sandwich board backings and I have a single space storage box which will hold 12 of them. All the chits are in individual sets contained in small flip top boxes which in turn are in a plastic box designed for fishing lures. Lastly, I have yet another plastic container holding all the other bits and pieces, damage counters and wind direction counters in cloth bags, coast and fort cards, compass etc.
    Name:  F0E6457A-9753-41D0-9E89-57C8F627C50A.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  171.4 KB
    Name:  549FB885-9A86-46E9-941C-A8611E1B20E0.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  159.8 KB
    Name:  F1C94BE3-32D1-47DA-A22D-1AD2C1C75EC9.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  167.5 KB
    In the last photo
    Red = individual sets of action counters 10 x ship, 5 x Fort
    Yellow = 5 boxes with 2 sets of ‘other ammo’ in each box (ie grape, chain and double) which I dont currenty use
    Green = 2 boxes of crew damage chits (one for each side)
    Blue = 1 box each of sails/masts, leak/fire, veer(rudder)/entanglement
    Black = 2 sets wind direction (which go in the yellow cloth bag
    Last edited by Bilge Rat; 06-29-2018 at 19:36. Reason: Added pics

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Neat set up Steve.
    The rest of your storage system is not unlike the ones I use except my box for ship mats is not big enough to have the extended extra under surface. I must get a larger box and modify my mats. I have played with Chris's mats done like this and they are a marked improvement.
    Rob.