Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Santissima Trinidad Build

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default The Santissima Trinidad Build

Greetings! In the down time of my health I determined to do something different, it has been over a year since I opened my SOG boxes and found the mention of the Santissima Trinidad. Big and over gunned it has a lure of her own so here we go. I thought my personal naval library was lacking, but I found I was wrong. Here's the findings of the library elves:

Name:  20180323_170334.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  162.8 KB

Several side views, lots of text, it appears she was painted dark red with white stripes . . . and a great cuttaway pullout, quite large and well detailed

Name:  20180323_170525.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  151.5 KB

A remarkable model kit is available at around $300-$400! Won't be making that purchase, however the web add has some interesting photos and drawings which the elves feel are sufficient, especially at 1/1000" scale!

Name:  occre-santisima-trinidad.jpg
Views: 2394
Size:  84.1 KB

More details . . .

Name:  95484511.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  28.4 KB

Then some enticing drawings

Name:  20180323_174320.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  101.3 KB

Stern concerns . . . . in a famous painting:

Name:  4235.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  10.4 KB

Then the kit version . . .

Name:  pack_04_santisima3.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  193.6 KB

Name:  20180323_174351.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  95.6 KB

So now to the numbers . . . Our Orient 1791 is 213' long which is 2.556" at our scale, the mini measures 2.625" at the waterline (excluding front spar and stern overhang - not sure how these things are measured . . . . ) The Santissima Trinidad is 200' long, which comes out 2.4" in our scale. Pretty close in my book. I can make the difference up on the new hull, but most of the Orient translates into a good start. Top deck needs much rework, so the elves have a start . . . will need more input on the stern. So the elves are off and swimming! Any input would be appreciated! The goal is a new hull plug which I will create a mold from and will be pouring the resin . . . . knees cooperating that is!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I eagerly watch this for your interpretation and the elves ship building. Go for it Dave

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One thing we can be certain about Chris. it will be as accurate as anything Dave can discover, and won't have some Richard Cranium bodge the sizes up!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This is a Spanish interpretation of the reproduction Square rigged ship "Santisima Trindad" alongside Malaga quayside.Spain. this is the 1751 version according to the video clip. the straight sided stern seems to be this ships one.

Name:  square-rigged-ship-santisima-trindad-alongside-malaga-quaysidespain-BP1Y9X.jpg
Views: 1877
Size:  191.7 KB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cejJFP_D80c

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-24-2018 at 08:08.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This very full build of a model also has the square ended stern configuration!

https://shipsofscale.com/Trinidad/STBL24.html

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thanks, I watched the video as well, it's a nice replica, but not very accurate in many details, apparently built for commercial purposes verses historical accuracy. The model seems to bridge the two extremes. My search has come up with a dozen different museum models with few consistencies. The early painting intrigues me, however the decks cannot be that cambered . . . Where is Diamondback when we need him? Still researching . . .

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    This very full build of a model also has the square ended stern configuration!

https://shipsofscale.com/Trinidad/STBL24.html

Rob.
    Nice find, this is a build log of the kit in question, it is not a model of the replica : ) : (

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Don't know if this guff is of any interest but seems to bear out your measurements Dave.

In 1769 the Santísima Trinidad had almost the same dimensions than two other Spanish three-deckers (according to the Royal Navy, 194'3" × 54'3", 2457 tons burthen, & 190' × 54'3˝", 2398 tons burthen). After being rebuilt her keel lenght and her beam, from which burthen is calculated, were hardly increased, and she had been lenghtened by 6 Burgos feet and 4 inches, so her lenght could hardly be over 201'. Thus in all her dimensions she was smaller than the Océan-class ships of the line as measured by the Royal Navy.

But there is a possible mistake due to discrepancy on the Burgos foot. Yet it is possible to compare a Spanish ship to another one, and to have the British Navy for referee.

In 1769, the Santísima Trinidad tonnage was 4902 toneladas. Assumed as an « arqueo », or tons burthen, by many sources
    , it can be nothing else than her displacement. 4902 toneladas are equal to 4511 (SI).

Comparison between the Santísima Trinidad in 1769
    and the San Josef :
    It's easy to have an idea of the size the Santísima Trinidad, as launched, would have had according to the British Navy's criteria, because a new class, of which 2 were launched (the Purísima Concepción [1778] & the San José [1783], the San José being taken by the British Navy), were almost as large as her.
    - The San José, renamed the HMS San Josef, according to the British Navy
    :
    Lenght, 194'3" (59,21 m)
    Keel, 156'11Ľ"
    Beam (outside planking), 54'3" (16,54 m)
    Tons burthen, according to the Royal Navy's formula :
    (keel) × (beam)˛ ÷ 188 ≈ 2456.79 tons burthen
    - According to the Spanish Navy
    :
    Lenght, 213 Burgos feet ; or 9 inches shorter than the Santísima Trinidad, which lenght according to the same criteria would thus have been c. 194'3" + ⅔ × 0.91404' (or 0.94291', depending on the lenght assumed for a Burgos foot) ≈ 194.859'' ≈ 59,39 m (or 194.88' ; the difference is so small that I'll consider only the first figure in further calculations).
    Keel, 193 pies 10 pulgadas, so the Santísima Trinidad's keel, 11 pies and 5 pulgadas shorter, would have had a lenght of some 156'11Ľ" + [(182 + 5 ÷ 12) − (193 + 10 ÷ 12)] × 0.91404 ≈ 146.883'
    Beam (inside planking), 57 pies 11 pulgadas so the Santísima Trinidad's beam, 57 pies 9 pulgadas, would be equal to 54'3" − (2 ÷ 12 × 0.91404) ≈ 54.098' ≈ 16,49 m
    Tons burthen (Royal Navy's formula) :
    146.883 × 54.098˛ ÷ 188 ≈ 2290 tons burthen ≈ 6500
    in hold.

Comparison between the Santísima Trinidad in 1769
    and the Salvador del Mundo :
    Same calculations from the British Navy's measurments
    and the Spanish Navy's measurments of the Santa Ana-class three-deckers, to which the Salvador del Mundo belonged.
    Result :
    Lenght, 193.351' ≈ 58,93 m
    Keel lenght, 151.469'
    Beam, 54.063' ≈ 16,48 m
    c. 2360 tons burthen ≈ 6700

As she was in 1769, the Santísima Trinidad had a displacement of 4511, and measurments by the British Nav would have been :
    Lenght, c. 193 ~ 195' (c. 59 m)
    Beam (outside planking), c. 54'1" (16,48 m)
    Tons burthen, c. 2250 ~ 2400 (some 6400 ~ 6800
    )
    11:06 am [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Comparison between the Santísima Trinidad in 1805 and the San Josef :
    and the Spanish Navy's measurments of the San José-.
    Result :
    Lenght, 201.106' ≈ 61,30 m
    Keel lenght, 147.949'
    Beam (outside planking), 54.326' ≈ 16,56 m
    c. 2320 tons burthen ≈ 6600

Comparison between the Santísima Trinidad in 1805
    and the Salvador del Mundo- :
    and the Spanish Navy's measurments of the Santa Ana-class three-deckers.
    Result :
    Lenght, 199.599' ≈ 60,84 m
    Keel lenght, 156.573'
    Beam (outside planking), 54'3˝" ≈ 16,55 m
    C. 2455 tons burthen ≈ 7000

As she was in 1805, the Santísima Trinidad had a displacement of 4998, and measurments by the British Navy would have been :
    Lenght, 200 ~ 201' (c. 61 m)
    Beam (outside planking), c. 54'4" (16,56 m)
    Tons burthen, c. 2300 ~ 2500 (some 6500 ~ 7100
    )

According to the British Navy, the dimensions of the French 118 / 120-gun ships of the line were :
    Lenght 208'4" ≈ 63,50 m
    Beam (outside planking), 54'9⅓" ≈ 16,70 m
    2747 tons burthen
    Displacement
    , 5032 (SI).

One of the larger ships in the world, the Santísima Trinidad was surpassed in sheer size, as asserted by Wikipedia in English, by the French 118 / 120-gun ships of the line. From 1788 and during dozens of years, there was always one of them in use (three in 1802 : the Océan
    in France, the Fethiye and the the Mesudiye in Turkey).
    11:17 am [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

https://www.todoababor.es/listado/na...atrinidad2.htm

William Laird Clowes & Clement Robert Markham, The Royal Navy. A History from the Earliest Times to the Present, volume 4 ( https://archive.org/details/royalnavyhistory04clowuoft ), London, Sampson Low & Marston, 1897, page 154.
    - Océan-class (the Commerce-de-Marseille) :
    Lenght, 208'4" ; keel lenght 172'⅛" ; beam, 54'9⅓". 2747 tons burthen.
    - The San Josef :
    Lenght, 194'3" ; keel lenght 156'11Ľ" ; beam, 54'3". 2457 tons burthen.

http://www.todoababor.es/listado/navio-sanjose3.htm

Brian Lavery, The Ship of the Line, volume 1, The Development Of The Battlefleet, 1650-1850, London, Conway Maritime Press, 1983.
    - The Salvador del Mundo :
    Lenght, 190' ; keel lenght, 152'11" ; beam,54'3˝". 2398 tons burthen.

The keel lenght is 184 pies or 185 pies 10 pulgadas according to sources. I calculated from 184 pies.

https://www.todoababor.es/listado/na...ordelmundo.htm

https://www.todoababor.es/listado/navio-santaana2.htm

Estado general del día 19 de Octubre 1805 on website http://batalladetrafalgar.com/esp.htm in Spanish.
    - The Santísima Trinidad :
    Lenght, 220 pies 6 pulgadas
    Keel lenght, 188 pies
    Beam, 58 pies
    5432 toneladas. It can be nothing but her displacement. 1 tonelada ≈ 0,92016
    (SI). 5432 toneladas ≈ 4998.
    120 long guns, 16 howitzers
    Broadside (long guns) :
    16×36-pdr 17×24-pdr 18×12-pdr 9×8-pdr
    1272 libras ≈ 1290 lb ≈ 585

Howitzers :
    8×24-pdr
    192 libras ≈ 195 lb ≈ 88

- The Santa Ana and the Príncipe de Asturias (sisterships of the Salvador del Mundo) :
    Lenght, 210 pies
    Keel lenght, 184 pies
    Beam, 58 pies

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thanks! And Yikes! Quite a bit of fun there, it is interesting the non standard measures of the day, just read up on the Vasa where it was deadly. For our tiny scale we are talking mm in difference! I appreciate your research!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hi David, I saw this thread and wanted to comment as the ST was (and still is) one of my favorite ships from the Napoleonic Age of Sail. Several years back I built the Langton version of the Santisima and then followed it up with a repaint and kitbash of the Sails of Glory Orient. See threads below if you're interested.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...isima+trinidad

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...isima+trinidad

With the revelations we've learned concerning scale and it's accuracy over the course of 4 Waves of ships I most likely would not have used the Orient as it's too large. Unfortunately the ships I would have used (the Merigildos from Wave 3) are not scale accurate either and are too small.

Setting aside all discussion of accuracy and focusing on what would look and feel table right I'd probably go back and use a SoG Victory sculpt and kit bash it so it matches the look of the Langton ST. There are plenty of them to use and I found them easy to work with when kitbashing the USS Independence https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...s+independence.

If Ares ever does the Santisima Trinidad I'll have to pick it up even though I have no idea how they'll address the scale differences we know exist between all of the ship waves and the special edition Constitution? Cheers.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Dave, you might find this interesting as well. A scratch build Radio Controlled ST in 1/50 scale?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...scratch)-(1-50)

–English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I really do hope Ares makes a Santissima and in 1:1000 instead. I would see if that would be possible to cut down to a Meregildos.

That model posted in the first post has a forecastle. From what I've read she didn't. (...more than her original that was continued all the way back.) Anyone got any more information on that?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Don't know Jonas. I am at a stand.
    The more I research the more contradictions I find.
    Short of getting the Spanish Admiralty plans for the conversion I can't see any way forward.
    I may end up just copying Jim's interpretation. At least that way tow of us will be in agreement.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Not really, Rob. Read his post above. #10

The Océan really is too big. It’s About 5mm too long and too wide. The problem is as Jim wrote, that there should have been Meregildos that had been perfekt to rebuild as was done, but lets not go there again. I agree with Jim that right now a conversion of a British first rate probably is the best starting point. Not sure I’d use HMS Victory or one of the others though.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have a spare Victory, and also Queen Charlotte plus Royal Sov spare at the moment, but am not happy with which if any would look best. They all have bits that look wrong and none are 2.4 inches long either.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I have a spare Victory, and also Queen Charlotte plus Royal Sov spare at the moment, but am not happy with which if any would look best. They all have bits that look wrong and none are 2.4 inches long either.
    Rob.
    lol. You should do it Rob. I put most of my SoG stuff in semi storage, but there's an HMS Queen Charlotte just sitting on the workbench. Do I really need 3 versions of the Santisima Trinidad? ;) Probably not.
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

. . . after the weekend I should have a hull plug for your critique. 2.4" long at the waterline, 0.65" beam . . . rounded fantail, no forecastle, then after your input I will finalize the plug and begin the production . . . when I say "I" I mean the sea elves . . . do we have a definitive height of the top center deck from the waterline? Oh this just in, 2 or 4 anchors?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are certainly moving on this Clipper.
    I am still undecided on what to do. Nevertheless whatever I decide I'm still up for one of yours.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'd just get one from Clipper and if I can I will.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I agree Jonas.
    I still have all these spare ships to butcher though. I have to keep working on something.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper1701 View Post
    . . . after the weekend I should have a hull plug for your critique. 2.4" long at the waterline, 0.65" beam . . . rounded fantail, no forecastle, then after your input I will finalize the plug and begin the production . . . when I say "I" I mean the sea elves . . . do we have a definitive height of the top center deck from the waterline? Oh this just in, 2 or 4 anchors?
    Every iteration of the Santisima I've seen has four anchors. Langton's version I did I only used 3 from GHQ's line of 1/1200 ships.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I'd just get one from Clipper and if I can I will.
    I will as well. I could be six feet under by the time Ares gets its act together.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I agree Jonas.
    I still have all these spare ships to butcher though. I have to keep working on something.
    Rob.
    You could always go for the Duke of Kent? ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob, I'd start thinking British second rate, 98 gun ships...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I will as well. I could be six feet under by the time Ares gets its act together.
    Funny that Jim. I said very much the same thing to Mrs Bligh the other day.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Could have a good point there Jonas.
    I could also be six feet under before Ares get around to those too.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Funny that Jim. I said very much the same thing to Mrs Bligh the other day.
    Rob.
    Jonas probably has the better approach, but I had considered doing HMS Caledonia at one point. It did have a career that went beyond the Napoleonic Wars. It was also cut down and renamed the Dreadnought I believe (a hospital ship).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Caledonia_(1808)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Might take a look at Caledonia, and a couple of the 98s for my other two.
    That will give me plenty to do after I complete my two small Merchantmen.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I used some Royal Sovreign's for the British Second rates, This from some of DB info.

Jim can you compare your Langton Santissima with a Ares Meregildos is there much difference in size?

I am looking forward to seeing Clippers Santissima but have another Meregildos lying in drydock waiting.
    Already have some spare masts and sails from the old Skytrex Triton range

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Did you have to make many adjustments to them Chris?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

To my memory, other than on how gun ports start in order from the bow, the lines of the British first rates are actually HMS Victory's and the model Victory's lines are actually the second rates. The second rates had originally no guns on the quarter deck but I think they were 90:s back then. By adding the quarter deck guns they became 98 gun ships and very close to the British first rates.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

A quick peek of the hull conversion plug thingy, Guns before sizing . . .

Name:  20180328_205653_resized.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  97.6 KB

After sizing . . .

Name:  20180328_210249_resized.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  92.0 KB

Ready to prime, tomorrow the latex arrives . . .

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Cut down the Orient hull, .125" out of the center making the beam .65" then .1875 out of the length for an overall waterline length of 2.4" . . .

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Did you have to make many adjustments to them Chris?
    Rob.
    Hi Rob, the Triton range come with seperate white metal masts and then you have to glue the sails , also white metal, to the mast.
    You can also get furled sails already attached to mast for harbours. Quite cheap too.
    But they dont do ratlines.
    You can still get these from Red Eagle miniatures, Triton age of sail
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 03-29-2018 at 02:44.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Any chance of a straight side on view to show where the new line of guns go in. Have you raised the sides Dave ?
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-29-2018 at 02:48.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Hi Rob, the Triton range come with seperate white metal masts and then you have to glue the sails , also white metal, to the mast.
    You can also get furled sails already attached to mast for harbours. Quite cheap too.
    But they dont do ratlines.
    You can still get these from Red Eagle miniatures, Triton age of sail
    Thanks Chris. I will have a look at these too.
    Any pictures of you completed 90s would be useful.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry about this Dave we seem to have partially hijacked your thread on Santissima.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Getting back on topic, Dave do you have access to a copy of The Ships of Trafalgar by Peter Goodwin ?
    This has a Side aelevation plan. Of the Sntissima as well as a section giving dimensions

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper1701 View Post
    A quick peek of the hull conversion plug thingy, Guns before sizing . . .

Name:  20180328_205653_resized.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  97.6 KB

After sizing . . .

Name:  20180328_210249_resized.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  92.0 KB

Ready to prime, tomorrow the latex arrives . . .
    Looking pretty neat!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I used some Royal Sovreign's for the British Second rates, This from some of DB info.

Jim can you compare your Langton Santissima with a Ares Meregildos is there much difference in size?

I am looking forward to seeing Clippers Santissima but have another Meregildos lying in drydock waiting.
    Already have some spare masts and sails from the old Skytrex Triton range
    Not sure this will work for you Chris, but page 3 of this thread is where I compared the Langton Santa Ana and the Ares version.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...ght=wave+scale

Apologies Dave, we keep hijacking your thread.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 03-29-2018 at 09:02.
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

A few views of her so far

Name:  20180329_085836.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  20180329_085849.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  20180329_085836.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  20180329_085822.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  20180329_085921.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  73.5 KB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nicely done Dave, I have never done casting like you do seemingly do with ease.
    Not wanting to cast a downer here but I understood that Santisima didnt have a Poop deck as such, or have I missunderstood ?
    The model has a pronounced Poop deck, what say you chaps

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Nicely done Dave, I have never done casting like you do seemingly do with ease.
    Not wanting to cast a downer here but I understood that Santisima didnt have a Poop deck as such, or have I missunderstood ?
    The model has a pronounced Poop deck, what say you chaps
    Langton's version does have a Poop deck, but it's not very pronounced. Here's Julian's build thread for a visual.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...=700+santisima

Julian also posted some preliminary work on the Meridian version of the Santisima on his HMS Victory thread (go all the way towards the bottom to see it). Meridian's version is very different but there's still a Poop deck.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...coat+santisima
    –English Proverb

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Fine then Jim , I am quite happy to be corrected and take onboard your comments.
    Ignor what I said Dave, carry on matey. Look forward to seeing more. What you using for masts and sails ?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There is a raised quarterdeck, but the bulwarks forward of it are quite high, hence it is not readily apparent. If you add bulwarks between the quarterdeck structure and the forward bulkhead that are the same height as that bulkhead it'll be just about perfect

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

So here we are . . . thanks for all the comments and suggestions, added a strip to the bullwarks and poured the latex, here is the process of the resurrection of the Santissima Trinidad according to the elves of Arizona:

Name:  20180330_115640.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  77.8 KB

. . . the hull begins to emerge from the latex box . . .

Name:  20180330_115734.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  60.9 KB

. . . and we have a hull mold!

Name:  20180330_115901.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  87.8 KB

. . . now to the casting station, Alumilite products are great (shameless plug) . . .

Name:  20180330_121738.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  124.1 KB

. . . the first of the many . ..

Name:  20180330_121743.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  98.3 KB

. . . you can see the resin setting, it turns light tan from dark brown . ..

Name:  20180330_122244.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  125.3 KB

. . . 10 minutes later . . . we have a new baby hull!!!!!!

Name:  20180330_123449.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  105.6 KB

. . . so here we are, what do you think?

Name:  20180330_123502.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  20180330_123509.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  20180330_123523.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  20180330_124607.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  95.4 KB

PM me for details if you want one, I will have to wait a few days to clean one up and get the elves to paint and finish one. I will use the sails from the Orient corpse for the first one, but I have news from the elves they have plans for some resin sails and masts . . . they are sure clever! Cheers!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Looks good Dave, I marvel all the time at the work you and the elves do. Hope this was not too taxing, we need your health to be in the pink. Pm on its way

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Phenomenal Dave.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Dave, that's really impressive!! I have used Alumilite several times in the past and really like their products. If you don't mind explaining, how do you create the latex box so you can cast an entire hull, deck, etc? I've been able to cast hulls, but not the entire ship. PM on the way as well. Thanks!
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

An afternoon with the casting elves . . .

Name:  20180330_160901.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  133.5 KB

. . . that was fun!