Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Santissima Trinidad Build

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Wow, there are one or two there Dave, next up I suppose is getting some stats done.
    Well done to you for the work on this, so quick to

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Dave, that's really impressive!! I have used Alumilite several times in the past and really like their products. If you don't mind explaining, how do you create the latex box so you can cast an entire hull, deck, etc? I've been able to cast hulls, but not the entire ship. PM on the way as well. Thanks!
    So here's my quick and dirty mold box process, I glue the plug onto a rectangle of foam board just a bit bigger than the plug, here is the ST on the foam base:

Name:  20180329_085849.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  93.2 KB

Use a craft glue to attach the plug to the base. Here is a quick sketch of the box, all bits from 1/4 foam board. Cut a bottom from the foam board 3/8" to 1/2"larger on each side than the plug base. Then I cut a long strip of foam board around 1 1/2" wide x twice the length and width of the bottom. Mark the x and Y dimensions on the strip as shown, then carefully cut 1/2 way through the one side of the strip, allowing the strip to be bent into a side wall unit that fits the base. Tape the corners with masking tape and glue the wall unit to the base with white glue. Add a bead of glue on the inside corner of the box and let it dry. Center the plug base on the bottom of the box and when the glue dries you are ready to pour.

Name:  20180330_225318.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  120.7 KB

If there is interest I can do a complete step by step mold making process thread. I have been resin molding for several years now and have tackled some one to five piece molds, it is a fun challenge to design the process for each particular model, ships just seem to be the simplest! Cheers! Dave

Oh yes, for molds like these I use the more rubbery mold material they call it "High Strength Latex" it comes as a white base with a clear hardener that turns it pink when mixed. It is super flexible and allows for deep molds with significant over hangs and such. That is how i can mold a complete hull in one open sided mold.

Name:  20180330_115901.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  87.8 KB

I can get 40-50 uses from the mold before it gets tired and loses its flexibility . . . if the aerodrome ever get back up to speed you can find many of my planes on the "metal and resin" thread - search the key words "pour me . . ." there are some of my challenges like the Me 323 six engine monster . . . enjoy!
    Last edited by Clipper1701; 03-31-2018 at 00:19.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Excellent Dave.
    If you do a complete "How to" for producing the ship I will post it in the thread for this. Otherwise I will, with your permission, use what you have here cobbled together to get an idea of the process for would be intrepid ship builders.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Dave this is awesome! Thank you very much. I'd certainly enjoy a step by step molding procedure if you have the time, but what you've posted will certainly help me in future endeavors. I will definitely look into the latex product. I've been using the flexible 'putty' you get at craft stores. That product doesn't allow for the kind of molding you've done with the latex. Cool beans!!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Dave this is awesome! Thank you very much. I'd certainly enjoy a step by step molding procedure if you have the time, but what you've posted will certainly help me in future endeavors. I will definitely look into the latex product. I've been using the flexible 'putty' you get at craft stores. That product doesn't allow for the kind of molding you've done with the latex. Cool beans!!
    I am working up a full thread from carving the plug to pouring the ship, sails and base, but it will be a while. Meanwhile I buy all my supplies from Hobby Lobby of all places! If I buy one item a week I can use their 40% app coupon and save $ to spend on more stuff . . . so the madness is fed. Just what ship to do next . . .

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper1701 View Post
    I am working up a full thread from carving the plug to pouring the ship, sails and base, but it will be a while. Meanwhile I buy all my supplies from Hobby Lobby of all places! If I buy one item a week I can use their 40% app coupon and save $ to spend on more stuff . . . so the madness is fed. Just what ship to do next . . .
    Great news! Thank you for doing so when you have the time. I'll probably get in hot water with Ares for suggesting this, but we know they 'oversized' both the USS Constitution and the Ocean class French ships. Accurate scale for them would be nice. If Bobby were still active here he'd likely request Great Lakes ships from the War of 1812 (both US and British)?

Thanks for your work!
    –English Proverb

Very, very, very cool!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Just acquired a number of padded mailers so the hull shipping will begin tonight when I get home . . . anchors away . . . or is it anchors aweigh?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just acquired a number of padded mailers so the hull shipping will begin tonight when I get home . . . anchors away . . . or is it anchors aweigh?
    Either way or weigh works for me. Thanks Dave! Very excited to begin work on a third Santisima!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am trying to clear the decks of any other work ready for the great day.
    Thanking you in advance Dave.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The casting of the Santisima Trinidad arrived in today's mail. Some additional photos for those interested plus some comparison shots of the Langton and Ares (Orient) kit bashed versions I did some years back.

I know what I'll be working on this week. Cheers!

Dave, thanks so much for your work. Oh, and be sure to thank the elves as well.

Name:  STHullA.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  115.3 KB

Name:  STHullB.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  151.1 KB

Name:  STHullC.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  116.7 KB

Name:  STHullD.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  118.7 KB

Name:  STHullE.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  144.5 KB

Name:  STHullsComA.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  189.2 KB

Name:  STHullsComB.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  171.4 KB

Name:  STHullsComC.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  146.6 KB

Name:  STHullsComD.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  174.4 KB
    –English Proverb

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for the pics Jim, just looking at the compariso picture you can see its a big boat, it looks the part, kudos to Dave and the elves, I am so looking forward to working on this model.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Something I never expected to see in my lifetime shipmates.
    That will make a statement on anyone's table.
    Roll on Doncaster say's I.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

I don't expect mine to arrive that quick but I'll let everyone know the second it gets to Aus.

In the meantime I've ordered another SGN111 for the sails, deck and base.
    The sails are a bit different than an Ocean but hopefully won't look too out of place.

How easy are the sails to remove or do you just snip them at deck level and re-pin them?

I've got the new book with the side profiles on its way already and if I'm lucky with the 3 different
    deliveries they'll arrive fairly close to one another.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yes sails will be the next issue, I think I got a set of Triton 1/1200 masts and sails lurking so will try those first just to see, for a base I got enough sloops to pilfer one , for now

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Strange that Chris.
    I just looked at printing some G deck movement cards for one of the ships I built and decided that for the cost of printers ink, card and a base, it was cheaper to buy another sloop than produce them myself, and i get a sinking Sloop out of the deal.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by twsl View Post

How easy are the sails to remove or do you just snip them at deck level and re-pin them?

I've got the new book with the side profiles on its way already and if I'm lucky with the 3 different
    deliveries they'll arrive fairly close to one another.
    This should tell you all you need to know Alan.

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php...-2-Mast-Repair

Rob.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Super Awesome Dave!!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That looks great!

It will be interesting to see what could be done with it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Santisima Trinidad is just like a Corporation bus. You wait for one for ages, and then four turn up at the same time.

Name:  IMG_5956.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  113.0 KB

Thanks very much Dave for the great present.
    Please send me a bill for said buses.

I owe you another one.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And today just to prove how good Clipper's work, is this book I had ordered arrived in my mail.

Name:  IMG_5963.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  158.1 KB

On the Trinidad page I made a comparison.

Name:  IMG_5962.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  137.4 KB

Just to prove it I placed Clipper's hull over the picture.

Name:  IMG_5961.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  148.9 KB

How about that!

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Arent they nice, these are the size the Merigildos should have been like.
    Oh well at least my project Trafalgar now has the Santisima, plus I had a spare Ocean to denude for the masts, which gives me a derelict Ocean to play with

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Santisima Trinidad is just like a Corporation bus. You wait for one for ages, and then four turn up at the same time.

Name:  IMG_5956.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  113.0 KB

Thanks very much Dave for the great present.
    Please send me a bill for said buses.

I owe you another one.
    Rob.
    That's funny. I thought I was being greedy asking for two buses and you've got four.

If Dave doesn't get back to the Merigildos you could probably alter them to fill in?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

And today just to prove how good Clipper's work, is this book I had ordered arrived in my mail.

Name:  IMG_5963.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  158.1 KB

On the Trinidad page I made a comparison.

Name:  IMG_5962.jpg
Size:  137.4 KB

Just to prove it I placed Clipper's hull over the picture.

Name:  IMG_5961.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  148.9 KB

How about that!

Rob.
    I preordered this book, but it's not for sale in the US until the end of the month. So, just to clarify, those drawings are all 1/1000 scale? If so, what a bonus, as the drawings look great.
    –English Proverb

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

My initial look I thought they were more like 1/1200, but seeing Robs hull on the page it does seem to be 1/1000. Ill ammend my review in the appropriate section.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Poured a few more this evening, 6 ST's and some odd hulls I found in my kit. . . Good for wrecks and merchants . . .

Name:  20180411_201537.jpg
Size:  171.6 KB

Now back to the Santa Ana series . . .

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Although the book does not stipulate the scale, all the ships I have tried match up so far.
    I have not yet tried the more questionable Spanish models but will do so later today.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's funny. I thought I was being greedy asking for two buses and you've got four.

If Dave doesn't get back to the Merigildos you could probably alter them to fill in?
    I am afraid that they are actually earmarked for other people over here. They just don't know it yet.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I am afraid that they are actually earmarked for other people over here. They just don't know it yet.
    Rob.
    I wondered if that might be the case. A nice surprise to be sure. Looks like Dave's elves have been busy again so more ST's plus a slew of smaller ships are in the works!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Poured a few more this evening, 6 ST's and some odd hulls I found in my kit. . . Good for wrecks and merchants . . .

Name:  20180411_201537.jpg
Size:  171.6 KB

Now back to the Santa Ana series . . .
    Definitely in mass production mode.
    –English Proverb

I preordered this book, but it's not for sale in the US until the end of the month. So, just to clarify, those drawings are all 1/1000 scale? If so, what a bonus, as the drawings look great.
    I just pre-ordered this book as well this morning. Amazon says it won't be available until April 25th. Wow what a find. I hope the colour schemes are acurate. They are for the Spaniard page Rob displayed.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I just pre-ordered this book as well this morning. Amazon says it won't be available until April 25th. Wow what a find. I hope the colour schemes are acurate. They are for the Spaniard page Rob displayed.
    I ordered one too, the elves are in deep now!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

So here we are . . . thanks for all the comments and suggestions, added a strip to the bullwarks and poured the latex, here is the process of the resurrection of the Santissima Trinidad according to the elves of Arizona:

Attachment 36678

. . . the hull begins to emerge from the latex box . . .

Attachment 36679

. . . and we have a hull mold!

Attachment 36680

. . . now to the casting station, Alumilite products are great (shameless plug) . . .

Attachment 36681

. . . the first of the many . ..

Attachment 36682

. . . you can see the resin setting, it turns light tan from dark brown . ..

Attachment 36683

. . . 10 minutes later . . . we have a new baby hull!!!!!!

Attachment 36684

. . . so here we are, what do you think?

Attachment 36685

Attachment 36686

Attachment 36687

Attachment 36688

PM me for details if you want one, I will have to wait a few days to clean one up and get the elves to paint and finish one. I will use the sails from the Orient corpse for the first one, but I have news from the elves they have plans for some resin sails and masts . . . they are sure clever! Cheers!
    Hi Dave, I'd like to try this casting technique of yours. Where do you get your materials?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just reminded me that mine is still on the stocks Dobbs.
    Sails and masts put in place but still those black lines to paint around the hull.
    I would love to follow you in your endeavors at casting some ships.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

My first objective is to make ship's boats. It has offended me that Ares changed the style, and I want to replace the newer boats with the older style. I've used up all of my old boats salvaged from ships cut up for projects. Clipper's method seems like a good solution.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

This might give me an opportunity to pursue an interest of mine though. I've been planning on making up rules for SoG Elizabethan, and this might be the way to make ships! I already have wooden ones I made years ago for a game I was developing.

Warning: don't get too excited about my Elizabethan variant. I'm picturing slower firing rates and worse sailing angles...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    My first objective is to make ship's boats. It has offended me that Ares changed the style, and I want to replace the newer boats with the older style. I've used up all of my old boats salvaged from ships cut up for projects. Clipper's method seems like a good solution.
    That would be a very good project Dobbs. Shortage of boats seems to be far more needed to rectify than Nelson's cry for more Frigates which we have in abundance.
    Rob.

Nice projects!

I see some use as a ship or dismasted hulk.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good idea.
    That would certainly have saved me from cutting up several Ares ships Sven.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

One of Dave's Santissimas is now sailing in German waters: Thank you again very much Dave for providing our team with two hulls. The transfer to Germany took longer than expected (actually due to bad experience with international mail and customs procedures one is still waiting for save passage). The other hull reached Germany safely in June and then went to the drydock of Uwe aka JackAubrey1805 to become outfitted for action. She is completed now, ready to leave port.

Some photos of Uwe's Santissima:

Name:  IMG_20190814_230551.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  146.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20190814_230739.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  153.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20190814_230904.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  151.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20190814_231114.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  151.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Uwe has produced a very fine ship. Thank you for providing the pictures Achim.
    I will Rep Uwe if he makes a post here about it.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

Many thanks. It is my first work. Others will follow.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well done Ewe.
    Rep for your superb effort is on the way.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    Puerto Rico

Log Entries
    Name
    Rolando

Always love to see another model of the Santísima Trinidad. Sehr schön!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Very nice looking rendition, well done Uwe, all hail Clipper and the elves