Thread: The French have managed to slip in a new 5th Rate Frigate into Toulon.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Default The French have managed to slip in a new 5th Rate Frigate into Toulon.

So... The French have added a new small 32 gun Frigate (Brig) past the British Blockade of Toulon. My newest addition to the French Armada!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very useful addition too Daniel. You can never have too many Frigates.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

I sincerely agree. Frigates are the backbone of any credible fleet.
    The Admirals may have their great 1st and 2nd rate Three and Four deck sluggish monsters, and the Commodores can have their 3rd rate Two and older Three decker turtles with guns. But REAL fighting ship Captains have their Fast & Maneuverable smaller Two and swept deck 4th and 5th rate Frigates which can swim around the larger burdensome ships and bring guns to bear on the bow and stern to rake them horribly with precision.

I would not go that fast to call them backbones...

But without frigates you loose mobility, recon, fast couriers and the option to intercept anything that can sail away from your SoLs.

Back on topic: Glad you found a nice French one.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    I would not go that fast to call them backbones...

But without frigates you loose mobility, recon, fast couriers and the option to intercept anything that can sail away from your SoLs.

Back on topic: Glad you found a nice French one.
    I say "Backbone" because of the fact that frigates are the fastest to be built vs the 1st, 2nd, 3rd rates, and are the most numerous. More missions are handled by frigates than any other ship, because of their speed and firepower. They are faster (for the most part) and when properly manned and in sufficient numbers can out number in shot weight and guns a ship twice it's size. I see them as the backbone of any serious naval power. Yes they will and do have the large 3,4, and monsterous 5 deck ships of the line, which laboriously slow. They make great shows of power no doubt, but unless they are facing other ships of their own class, they would be easily overwhelmed by a horde of smaller ships.

Thanks, I needed a smaller hull 5th rate Frigate for the French. Currently they are fewer in number than their British counterparts. 12 French vs 17 British.
    Now what I need to find and get are some more British Frigates with a 3 & 4 hull to them and add them to my fleet.
    Last edited by The Mad Scot; 03-27-2018 at 22:19. Reason: add more comments edit spelling

A man that honours the steady achievments of frigates.