Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default 2018 Campaign Rules.

Rules for the 2018

This year we will be running the same two campaigns that we did in 2017. with the exception that there will be only three of each type of game and Scenarios will now be posted Bi Monthly. If you have ranks and abilities earned in prior campaigns then they will carry over. Ability points carry over too.

1. Nation v Nation:
    This is a campaign of 3 scenarios that involves the ships of a single squadron of between 4 and 8 ships. These ships are sent on missions by their commodore. The missions may require heavy hitting ships-of-the-line or fast moving frigates or stealthier unrated ship. The ships you choose are the ones that are available for these missions; it’s your choice so make it wisely.

a. You need to choose:

i. The country you represent

ii. The area of the world your squadron operates in

iii. 4-8 ships

1. Ships name
    2. Ships burden
    3. Number of hull damage boxes
    4. Number of crew damage boxes

Example: USS Constitution, burden 5, hull 9, crew 9

iv. 1 commodore

1. Commodore’s name and rank and flagship
    2. He may be one of your captains or he may be riding on a ship operated by a flag captain
    3. If his ship does not participate in a scenario, then the captain of the largest participating ship acts as the commodore and receives the commodores reward if you are victorious.
    4. The commodore may be of any rank, but must be the highest-ranking officer in the squadron.

v. 1 captain for each ship

1. Captain’s name, rank, and ship
    2. The captain may be of any rank, but unless he holds a temporary command, will command a ship comparable to his rank
    a. Burden 1-2 – Lieutenant
    b. Burden 2-3 – Master Commandant
    c. Burden 3-6 – Captain
    d. Burden 6 – May be of higher rank
    3. Circumstances and countries may make the above guidelines inappropriate. If they don’t fit your situation, then use what does.

vi. Choose two ship captains and assign each one an ability of your choice.

b. Example:

i. United States
    ii. Caribbean Sea
    iii. Commodore: Isaac Hull, Commodore
    iv. USS President, burden 5, hull 9, crew 9, Commodore Isaac Hull
    v. USS Constitution, burden 5, hull 9, crew 9, Captain John Rogers (CC)
    vi. USS United States, burden 5, hull 9, crew 9, Captain . . .

2. Letter of Marque:
    This is a campaign of 3 scenarios that involves a single pirate or privateer. These ship captains are in it for the money. They are scored on how little damage they take and how much loot they can take home. If you are interested in the life piratical this is for you.

a. You need to choose:

i. The area of the world you operate in

ii. A ship

1. Ships name
    2. Ships burden
    3. Number of hull damage boxes
    4. Number of crew damage boxes

Example: Meshuda, burden 2, hull 8, crew 9

iii. One captain

1. Captain’s name
    2. Having a back story for your pirate will help you write your after-action reports.
    3. Choose two abilities of your choice for you captain from the Ability List below.

b. Example:

i. Mediterranean Sea
    ii. Meshuda, burden 2, hull 8, crew 9, Murad Reis, Admiral of the Tipolitanian Navy (IC), (LC)

3. Ability List

a. Charismatic Captain (CC): When the ship has only one empty box in the Crew Damage track, the player may ignore the next two Crew Loss special damages. When a third Crew Loss damage is taken, it is recorded normally, and the ship surrenders.

b. Iron Captain (IC): When the captain is wounded, the wound is ignored. May be used once per game.

c. Lucky Captain (LC): Whenever a rule requires a random occurrence to take place, the captain can choose the result instead of randomly determining it. May be used once per game.

d. Intuitive Captain (InC): Before choosing a maneuver, the captain may use this ability to look at the maneuver to be executed in the present turn of an enemy ship within one ruler from the captain's ship's base. The captain must declare the use of the ability, and then check the distance. If the distance is more than one ruler, the ability is used, but there is no effect. Otherwise, the captain may look at the enemy's ship's maneuver. This ability cannot be used against an enemy ship that also has an Intuitive Captain. May be used twice per game.

e. Quick Captain (QC): When a captain's ship would collide with another ship, the captain can maneuver the ship sufficiently to avoid a collision or entanglement. May be used once per game.

f. Deft Captain (DC): After all ships have moved, the captain can rotate his/her ship. Keep any one corner of the ship is fixed, and the opposite corner can rotate by up to the width of the ruler. May be used twice per game.

g. Handling Captain (HC): When wind facing is determined, if the ship is in the red zone, the captain can rotate the ship the minimum amount so that it is straddling the red and yellow, and thus is considered to have a yellow wind aspect. May be used once per game.

h. Maneuvering Captain (MC): When maneuvering the ship, the captain can choose to stop at an intermediate spot along the arrow, and not at the end-point. May be used twice per game.

i. Steering Captain (SC): The captain can increase Veer by 1 for duration of the turn. May be used twice per game.

j. Aiming Captain (AC): When firing a broadside, and an enemy ship draws one or more "0s", the captain can make the enemy ship draw an additional counter. May be used twice per game.

k. Reloading Captain (RC): The captain can lead the crew to reload a single broadside immediately after it has fired. May be used once per game.

l. Deadeye Captain (DeM): When shooting muskets, if a "0" damage counter is drawn, the captain can force the enemy ship to draw an additional counter. May be used once per game.

4. Rewards.

This year rewards will be handed differently than they have been in the past. Nation v Nation will continue to use Ability Points, but they will be calculated differently. As stated above, the Letters of Marque Campaign is all about money. The more you have in Jack’s Union Bank the better you have done.

1. Nation v Nation:
    ........a. Ability Points
    ................i. How to earn Ability Points
    .......................1. At the end of the game
    ...............................a. the burdens of each ship that has been sunk or captured are added together
    ...............................b. The burden total is divided by number of the player’s captains starting the game.
    ........................................i. The player’s captains and their crews get the points even if their ships were sunk or captured
    .......................................ii. Survivor’s benefits.
    ...............................c. The scenario totals are reported as decimals, but the annual totals are rounded to whole numbers.
    .......................Example:
    ...............................a. Captain Sterling leads 3 ships against the wily French. The French lost 2 ships, a third rated ship with a burden of 5, and a frigate with a burden of 3.
    ...............................b. Bligh, the player, is awarded 8 ability points. Those points are divided between the 3 captains so that each captain gets 2.67 points.
    ...............................c. Sterling, the leader of the squadron, is also awarded 1 point for achieving the goal of the scenario.
    .........ii. Repairs
    .................1. Half of the hull and half of the crew boxes are filled between scenarios
    .................2. Example:
    .......................a. Constitution has 9 hull and 9 crew boxes when she is undamaged
    .......................b. Damage from game play
    ...............................i. She takes 8 boxes of hull damage
    ..............................ii. She takes 4 boxes of crew damage
    .......................c. Repairs
    ...............................i. Her captain can repair 5 hull boxes leaving 3 damaged
    ..............................ii. Her captain can recruit 5 crew boxes which completely replaces the crew
    .......................d. Next scenario
    ...............................i. Constitution can begin the next scenario with a complete crew, but with the 3 left hull boxes covered
    ..............................ii. Constitution can stay in port for the next scenario and complete repairs on her hull
    2. Letters of Marque
    ........a. Treasure Points (tp)
    ........b. Income
    ................i. Warships
    .......................1. Value of the ship = 1 tp for each burden point
    .......................2. Value of equipment = 1 tp for each undamaged hull box
    .......................3. Bounty for a sunken ship = 1 tp for each burden point only
    ...............ii. Merchant Ship
    .......................1. Value of the ship = 1 tp for each burden point
    .......................2. Value of equipment = 1tp for each undamaged hull box
    .......................3. Value of cargo = 1 tp for box reserved for cargo
    .......................4. Value of a sunken merchant ship = 0 tp
    .........c. Expenditures
    ................i. Hull Damage:
    .......................1. Repairs to half of the hull boxes can be repaired for free
    .......................2. 1 tp repairs 1 hull box
    ...............ii. Crew Replacement:
    .......................1. Half of the crew boxes are healed for free
    .......................2. 1 tp recruits 1 crew box
    ..............iii. If you don’t have the treasure to make complete repairs you need to report how you will allocate your treasure points for partial repairs.
    ..............iv. Jack’s Union Bank will not allow you to have a negative balance.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I think that you meant "b. Burden 2-3 – Master and Commander"

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Don't know Jonas but you are most probably correct. I just copied and pasted last years set of rules.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.