Thread: Wood accessories for Sails of Glory?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Default Wood accessories for Sails of Glory?

One of the really great things I’m seeing in everyone’s different collections is how you use custom wooden accessories in your Sails of Glory games. I saw those GORGEOUS wooden boxes and hand painted card holders and other truly nice pieces. Also over at Wings of Glory there are some excellent wood accessories too!

Starting with card holders, I ordered this set of 4 wooden curved playing card racks off Amazon. They were fairly inexpensive and I am happy with the look of them. I’d like to add a stain on them to make them a darker wood and perhaps add a SAILS OG GLORY / WINGS OF GLORY logo to the front and back of each? If I can manage that!

Now. Here’s the real question for all you experts: What other wooden accessories are out there for Sails of Glory?!

Here they are fresh out of the box:

Name:  138FBDDB-B4FB-4746-BF78-3CC4C0D29892.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  269.4 KB

Name:  C7E40722-9F09-41F2-9D27-3F0C8FC818AC.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  264.2 KB

Here’s the Amazon listing:
    Name:  24A57400-4E62-49BA-98F0-BAFCC2579A20.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  96.8 KB

—-Chuckster

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very elegant Chuck.
    I'll have a look at those.
    Also given me a bit of an idea.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

That's a thought!

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Name:  IMG_20180209_151231.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  144.3 KB This is an image of the ship control board that I glued to some black foamcore board. I have four more control boards that I have not affixed to foamcore yet. Now I'm thinking of gluing them to some painted 1/8th inch MDF instead.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly makes moving the boards around the playing area easier.
    Have you ever noticed how some captains seem to stalk your ship mat with their vessel Daniel?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Nice idea - for someone who handles his/your cards with care in the heat of battle...

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Certainly makes moving the boards around the playing area easier.
    Have you ever noticed how some captains seem to stalk your ship mat with their vessel Daniel?
    Rob.
    I wish that I could claim credit for the board idea. Another person I know locally did this and I thought it a fantastic idea. So I did it. It does make setting up the ship log and movement plotting and chit placement easier. I like the idea of the card holders. I wonder if you can get an entire movement deck to fit on one? It would certainly make choosing maneuvers easier if you can see all of your options ready at hand.
    Not sure what you mean by "Have you ever noticed how some captains seem to stalk your ship mat with their vessel Daniel?"

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Chris Captain Duff has done some of those as have deveral others for the Wings consoles. I just never got around to it.
    But I like your colour scheme Daniel.
    Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Matthew

I found this at amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Naval-Glory-W...8VEQ8FWJEFNMHM

They also have an acrylic attitude indicator and combat ruler

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have got some of the card holders, the only problem is getting all the cards to fit so you can see, they take up room and you need more than one per ship, so dont really make an effective item for shows, maybe at home

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We could really do with a serious look at a design for a card holder that would allow us to see each type of card at least in our somewhat substantial decks. It would speed up play no end.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    We could really do with a serious look at a design for a card holder that would allow us to see each type of card at least in our somewhat substantial decks. It would speed up play no end.
    Rob.
    Something like a big scrabble tile holder?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Maybe a two tier system to put each type with space for other of the same behind, frigates having 37 cards in the deck need a bit of space

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Matthew

There are a lot of cards. If you want to see them all, I'd suggest a card binder to page through.

I bought those card holder for the Command & Colors series of board games. You only have a hand of 5-6 cards for that. Never thought of using them for SoG.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can stack the cards of similar types. ie straight, LH curves, RH curves, staggers, all taken aback, and then the rest for mast losses etc which you only need if you are not using the others. Six stacks in all.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Are the red cards and mast hit cards the same for all ships? Maybe those could be in a community deck, thus reducing the number in each hand.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good question Dobbs. I have never checked to see if they were different length or shaped arrows on those cards. I will check some out.
    Rob.