Thread: How I made my Islands for W@S and PotC.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Default How I made my Islands for W@S and PotC.

I start off with this... A block of florist foam.
    Name:  greenfoamblock1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  187.0 KB
    Then I use a long serrated knife to cut it about 1" thick or roughly 3-4 separate thinner blocks lengthwise.

I used a cutout of the island shape that I wanted to make as a cutting template. Using a hot wire I cut out the basic outline of the island.
    Name:  WAS Islands WIP step3.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  225.1 KB
    Since the florist foam is very myable and easy to shape, I used my fingers and some sculpting putty tools to shape the upper parts of the islands.
    Prior to actually painting the islands I give them a quick coat of watered down white glue (PVA for you in Europe and elsewhere) to lock down the foam and give it a good surface to paint with. It's very important to wash out the brush completely after using it to brush on the glue. Or use a disposable brush. Once that has dried, then I give the island a base coat of paint depending on what I want it to be. In this case I painted the entire Island with a green base coat. Adding flocking and beach details will come later.
    Name:  WAS Large Island 1 WIP step 3.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  204.8 KB
    After painting any areas that I do not want to be green and the beach edges white, I add the flocking. I use the same brush that I used to apply the white glue with to once again apply a lightly watered down white glue. I apply a thin coat and am careful to only put it where I want the flocking to go. Then I dust the glue with the flocking. Using my fingers I press the flocking into the glue and then dust the area again, and once more press the flocking into the glue so that I get a good coverage. I shake off the excess back into my flocking container.
    Name:  WAS Island 3 pic 2.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  227.3 KB
    I then add additional bits of large flocking and other details, sometimes I'll add small rocks. In this case I made a small airfield and buildings and put them on the island. This particular island was made for Axis & Allies War at Sea game.
    Name:  large island #1 side pic.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  141.3 KB
    Top down view. Notice the airfield and buildings. Then I carefully painted surf and wave tops to add to the detail.
    Name:  Large Island w-airfld.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  259.1 KBName:  Large Island#3 w-airfld.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  286.5 KBName:  large island#3 side pic.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  159.1 KB
    Another Island for W@S with a marina with small boats.
    Name:  Large Island #2 w-airfld&marina.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  292.9 KB
    An Atol island
    Name:  small island #6.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  265.8 KB
    A generic small island
    Name:  small island #4.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  180.0 KB
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-17-2018 at 03:59.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just promoted this to a "How To" article Daniel, as it was sufficiently detailed and all in one post.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I just promoted this to a "How To" article Daniel, as it was sufficiently detailed and all in one post.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Very nicely done Daniel, good instruction, soma well done howto

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Looking at the first pics..... The thing about Gold Percy, is that it is Gold. What you have invented, if indeed it has a name, is some Green.....Edmund Blackadder.

But I have to say, they look pretty darned good.
    Last edited by Bilge Rat; 03-25-2018 at 18:26. Reason: Added info

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Any chance of a pic with a SoG ship for scale please?

Nice islands by the way. May invest some time into the airfield type for my Pacific War Campaign over on the 'Drome.

Neil