Thread: Hi from Stockholm, Sweden!

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Default Hi from Stockholm, Sweden!

Hi from Stockholm!

I'm a newcomer to the game. I've only tried it out a few times with friends and family, as well as learnt about it by playing a number of scenarios solo.

I played wargames quite a bit when I was a good bit younger - starting with Risk and Heroquest, I got into things like Axis & Allies, Warhammer 40K, Greyhawk Wars, MechWarrior and a few other hex-based wargames. Recently, I wanted to get back into playing a bit and, as a father of two, needed something that plays quick and fast (i.e. none of the above!). I settled on Sails of Glory and Command & Colors: Napoleonics.

I've currently been replaying the historical scenario "A Sour Mistake" a few times using the two solo apps (G-two's app using fred miracle's solo rules and DGH's app), as well as the rules by Herkybird. I was curious how each of these rulesets played out and hope to post a few AARs soon.

Having browsed through a number of the threads already, I've learnt quite a bit about the game and the history of the Age of Sail. Thanks to the community for all the informative posts!
    Last edited by Fabbe; 03-12-2018 at 01:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the Anchorage Andrew, on behalf of all your shipmates here on the site.
    I am sure that as you say it will be a continued voyage of discovery. Have fun and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you like. There is always one of us ready to help answer them/
    May you always sail with a fair wind and a willing enemy.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi Andrew,
    Welcome from the beautiful (and snow covered) Hudson River Valley -- a bona fide fjord ! Many decades ago I had a very enjoyable visit to Stockholm -- I especially enjoyed the Vasa museum. People on this site are friendly and very helpful.
    best, Bill
    Last edited by Wentworth; 03-09-2018 at 15:57. Reason: I'm illiterate

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A hearty welcome from Linköping to you!

I hope you will find your new genre interesting and fun to game.

Anything you want to know, just ask.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Hi Andrew,
    Welcome from the beautiful (and snow covered) Hudson River Valley -- a bona fide fjord ! Many decades ago I had a very enjoyable visit to Stockholm -- I especially enjoyed the Vasa museum. People on this site are friendly and very helpful.
    best, Bill
    Hey Bill.
    I must try some of those Fjords. never modeled any of those yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGcBmlDTcHo

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The fjords are more of a Norwegian thing. We are more proud of our archipelagos.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest, Andrew.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Andrew, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Hey Bill.
    I must try some of those Fjords. never modeled any of those yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGcBmlDTcHo

Rob.
    Rob,
    LOVE the Hitchhiker's Guide ! (I've only read it, this was my first viewing of it -- now I have to try and find it over here...) BTW -- here's some Hudson Valley photographic help for your fjord modeling:
    https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/66611.html
    best,
    Bill

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

I'm proud that the thread already includes a reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide. Sweden does have a few fjords on the West coast, but as TexaS says, it's mostly a Norwegian thing. At least that's where the prizewinning ones are. The archipelagos here are special, though, and there are a number of historical sites from the Age of Sail worth a visit (for example the historical naval base and World Heritage site in Karlskrona). The Vasa museum is excellent. It's probably time for me to visit it again - I've only been thrice.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome to you Andrew. From Bristol Uk