Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Following Bligh on Island Building

Name:  20180303_185025.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  83.3 KB

Okay, so we're part of the 1 million people without power here on the east coast. That doesn't mean we can't still play with little plastic ships.

Sealing the island. Rob, is your spray primer something special that doesn't eat foam, or does the glue protect the foam?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning Dobbs.
    You look like you are a craftsman working in the 18th century with no mains power. I hope you are managing to keep warm dear chap.
    Still worse things happen at sea!
    You are correct in surmising that the glue protects the foam from the paint.
    Looks as if I will have to get a move on today otherwise you will have caught me up.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thanks Rob. The power is back on. While the primer dries, USS Brandywine encounters the French Courageouse

Name:  20180303_161350.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  74.0 KB
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-05-2018 at 02:14.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Dobbs, glad you guys have your power back on! I had seen that on the news. Excellent work in the dark!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I hope we are going to get an AAR out of this encounter Dobbs!
    I just tweaked your picture to the right way up for you.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I hope we are going to get an AAR out of this encounter Dobbs!
    I just tweaked your picture to the right way up for you.
    Rob.
    Thank you, Rob. I just can't figure out my phone's camera sometimes. It was right side up on the screen. I posted it, it was crooked. I switched on my phone, and it was crooked the other way! Hunh!

No AAR on that one. It was fast and furious, and that was the only picture. Brandywine was taking Courageouse apart, but withdrew from mounting crew casualties.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You're welcome Dobbs. I had this problem once when Eileen and UI were out for a steam train ride and everything came out different ways. It usually compensates for this when reproducing them but this once it just didn't. I never found out what caused it.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Any update photos of your progress Dobbs?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Any update photos of your progress Dobbs?
    Rob.
    Soon. I too am being poked and prodded today with an asthma test.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just got back from mine.
    Apart from some minor changes and being told I need to lose some weight I got away with it mainly due to my Blood pressure being very good.Now I dare go into the workshop and spray the island.
    Hope your test pans out as well as mine.
    The weight I put down to the sedentary lifestyle of an Admiral.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The lungs got the thumbs up!

Name:  PI1.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  PI2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  100.6 KB

"HMS Outrageous discovers Pudding Island."

Suzanne says, "you've heard of the Sandwich Islands."

Next up, painting the cliffs. Around here, we have sand cliffs, mixed with white and red clay cliffs, so I am going to try to keep a local flavor. The promontory is going to have to be granite, though.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 03-07-2018 at 16:33.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Coming along nicely Dobbs.
    Glad to hear you also got through your MOT successfully.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Cliff painting is progressing slowly. I got distracted seeing if I could build a convincing lighthouse, patterned after the one down the street. I put a dowel in the end of my drill, and delicately using a file and sandpaper shaped the conular base. I did the light separately, then punched a disk out of 1/64" plywood. The disk is the wide spot between the base and the light. The house was just a 3/16" square dowel, with a piece cut diagonally and sanded to a more gradual angle for the roof. The chimney is a piece of square rod notched to fit the roof peak.

The finished lighthouse stands a towering 17mm (17m (56') in scale). Now back to island building.

Name:  PI3.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  PI4.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  99.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very nifty bit of model making Dobbs.

Lighthouse for Niebla is a pain. There is one near the contemporary ruins but I have no idea if it was built by 1820?. In Europe most dangerous headlands had a light by this period but about the Pacific coast I am totally in the dark.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-12-2018 at 03:35.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

A very nifty bit of model making Dobbs.

Lighthouse for Niebla is a pain. There is one near the contemporary ruins but I have no idea if it was built by 1820?. In Europe most dangerous headlands had a light by this period but about the Pasific coast I am totally in the dark.
    Rob.
    In the dark! Hah!

But seriously, I know what you mean. Fort Jefferson, in the Dry Tortugas, which is a little late for this time period has three lighthouses. They built one, knocked it down, built another, which is still there, but the current functioning lighthouse is on a different island altogether.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I'm usually a stickler for historical accuracy, but I made that bluff on my island with the bluff near our house in mind. The real bluff has a lighthouse, and even though it wasn't built until 1833, I thought I'd bend the rules for the sake of style (besides, It was a challenge to see if I could make a tiny lighthouse).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well you certainly passed the challenge Dobbs.
    The Jury is still out on my decision unless I can come up with some proof.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The cliffs are done. Next, the grass.

Name:  20180312_082150.jpg
Views: 363

The foundations for the house and lighthouse are done with wood putty (my model filler had solidified after years of neglect, and the nearest hobby shop is an hour away ).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We seem to be running almost parallel here Dobbs. the equivalent of your wood putty which I use has just run out this morning so I must get some more tomorrow. Fortunately my DIY store is only five minutes down the road.
    I am just about to post where I got to today.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Looks like your headlands are coming along Dobbs. I like the lighthouse.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The grass went down today. It was much more easy (one might almost say fun!) than I expected, and the result was very gratifying. Thanks, Rob, for posting your terrain to inspire me. I have never done anything like this, and now I have found something new to enjoy. 3D land definitely adds a great effect to the game!

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  67.2 KB

Next up, the beach, then trees.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That Lighthouse looks superb now that it is in situ Dobbs.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Yes! The lighthouse really looks great. You’ve given me ideas for my setup!

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  67.2 KB

Next up, the beach, then trees.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob, I'm hooked. I'm planning my next islands. Where did you get the artillery for your forts?

Hopefully, my finished island will make its debut here this evening. It's drying as I type.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Look forward to seeing the finished article Dobbs.
    The place to go for your guns is Brigade models.

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Small...l%20Forts.html

Although it says this, For North American customers, most of the range is available from Pico Armor in Bloomingdale, IL.
    If you have any trouble let me know what you want and I will add it to my next order and send it over.

Rob.

Nice island project.

I'm curious for the final result.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

The lungs got the thumbs up!

Name:  PI1.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  PI2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  100.6 KB

"HMS Outrageous discovers Pudding Island."

Suzanne says, "you've heard of the Sandwich Islands."

Next up, painting the cliffs. Around here, we have sand cliffs, mixed with white and red clay cliffs, so I am going to try to keep a local flavor. The promontory is going to have to be granite, though.
    Pudding Islands HAHAHAHAHA! That's a good one. Hmmm, now that has me thinking... Galapagos Islands!!!

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Cliff painting is progressing slowly. I got distracted seeing if I could build a convincing lighthouse, patterned after the one down the street. I put a dowel in the end of my drill, and delicately using a file and sandpaper shaped the conular base. I did the light separately, then punched a disk out of 1/64" plywood. The disk is the wide spot between the base and the light. The house was just a 3/16" square dowel, with a piece cut diagonally and sanded to a more gradual angle for the roof. The chimney is a piece of square rod notched to fit the roof peak.

The finished lighthouse stands a towering 17mm (17m (56') in scale). Now back to island building.

Name:  PI3.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  PI4.jpg
Views: 405
    So for the lighthouse you basically used your drill as a lathe then! This gives me inspiration, and an idea. I have a considerable amount of assorted styrene plastic rods, tubes, squares etc in my ''scratch build" bit box. I'm thinking that it's time for some 3D terrain for me as well. I regret getting rid of all of my 3D islands that I made for the Axis and Allies War at Sea game and the ones from the Pirates of the Caribbean game. I have some left but mostly the ones I made for the forts.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Scot View Post
    So for the lighthouse you basically used your drill as a lathe then!
    That's exactly it, Daniel. I found that either a file or 60 grit sandpaper worked well as a shaping tool. I cleaned the almost finished cone up with either 180 or 220. To finish, I used a modeling saw held stationary, and let the drill do the cutting to get the cone to the right size.

Nice island Dobbs!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thank you gentlemen for all of your kind words.

Here is the finished island.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  168.6 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  154.0 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  91.3 KB

If you've never tried anything like this, but always wanted to, I highly recommend giving it a shot. This was my first attempt. It was a lot of fun, and very satisfying.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Thank you gentlemen for all of your kind words.

Here is the finished island.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  168.6 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  154.0 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  91.3 KB

If you've never tried anything like this, but always wanted to, I highly recommend giving it a shot. This was my first attempt. It was a lot of fun, and very satisfying.
    That came out phenomenal!! REALLY REALLY gorgeous! I love the little details, like the beached gig and what looks like a cave in the side of the cliff at the waterline. The trail from the beach up to the lighthouse, rocks on the beach. TOP NOTCH WORK SIR!!

Really good. Congrats!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Impressive Dobbs, never minding it is a first. Anyone would be pleased to sport one of those on the table.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Inspiring work Dobbs! Thank you for sharing. It’s really really amazing work. I wish I coujd come play a round with you!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Excellent final results.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I concur! Excellent work. I am going to have to try one out once I wrap up my current project.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Suzanne and I are out taking Grace for her Spring shakedown cruise. Here's a picture of the lighthouse down the street that inspired my island lighthouse.

Name:  20180407_155155.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  65.6 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

There used to be a house like on my island, but it burned down about 50 years ago.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can never have too many pictures of islands Dobbs.
    Looking at that one and I spotted that I don't ever bring any of my woodland right down to the shoreline at the base of cliffs.
    Rob.