Thread: First Game.... I'm hooked

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Josh

Default First Game.... I'm hooked

So I went to a buddy's house today, and we tried our hand at the basic rules. I helmed the French starter ships, he the British. The first few rounds were moving into place, trying to get a measure for the wind and for firing arcs. The weather guage was in my favor, so I kept the wind abeam and came in along the eastern edge of the table. My friend sailed into the wind a bit to try to get a better position.

After a few rounds of maneuvering, we closed and began firing. Luck was on my side, and 0's kept coming to me for damage. My plan was to put his smaller ship between my two and unleash hell and crossfire. My luck was a mixed bag, as few of his shots damaged my ships but my crew suffered terribly.

The British ships soaked up iron and hellfire. Both vessels took a terrific pounding and my luck held. Shots kept being exchanged, the French ships taking little structural damage but the crew being devistated. The first of the British ships went to the deep, and my attention turned to the larger British ship which had already tasted my fury.

A few more rounds of running and gunning saw the British shake and splinter while French sailors sold their lives dearly. It came down to a final round. With ONE crew left on each French ship and two hull boxes remaining on the lone British ship the cannons fired. When the smoke cleared, my luck held. My ships suffered minimal damage and the British drew heavy damage and were sent to the deep.

So.... after having played the basic rules we revisited the standard and advanced and agreed that yes, we had found the naval combat game we had been looking for. This week will see repainting, rigging, and general chomping at the bit for a rematch.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great to hear your first trip into the briny was a success Josh, and thank you most of all for your well illustrated and clearly commented on AAR.

I hope we will be graced by many more of your exploits in the future.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.