Thread: My attempt at Creating Island coastlines out of Foam Board

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Default My attempt at Creating Island coastlines out of Foam Board

Greetings friends!

With a huge thanks to others who have done this before (Thank you Bligh!), I’ve started creating my own Island coastline for Sails of Glory. It’s very exciting. My kids are impressed already!

I purchased the foam board this morning at Hobby Lobby:
    Name:  96761999-CBAB-4B77-844D-F9A4637C0603.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  184.4 KB
    Name:  30EDDBB0-85D7-440B-A8C8-96D8E40DE07E.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  194.2 KB

My first task was to outline the Island Coast. Just drew the coast with a Sharpie marker on the foam board, no sweat. Then I used a box cutter to gently and CAREFULLY cut through the foam board, one small cut at a time. It was actually a more difficult and time consuming task than expected.
    Name:  BC481D5E-09ED-4963-90FC-104FF2415A39.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  185.5 KB
    Name:  B483DFAE-1156-46DC-B6BC-ABA3F5A51AC4.jpg
Size:  192.5 KB

This was right before I broke the Island pieces from the rest of the board. It is cut in this photo, but still needs to be carefully cracked off the rest.....
    Name:  B0E10DE8-4A20-43EF-B2F9-D00A8ABE3F3B.jpg
Size:  148.1 KB

Annnnnnd where I’m at as of this post! Ready to start sanding and sculpting for the coast to appear more “natural.”
    Name:  36C64E11-E80D-429B-A5A1-8F3CAECACD4F.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  230.9 KB

I can’t thank you all enough for the advice, especially Bligh for the amazing “How To” thread! More to come!

~Chuck

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice going Chuck.
    Having seen your comments on Sven's photo album. You may be interested in my take on the ship on fire, heavily copied from the one presented to Sven, but taken to the next stage of disaster. Next? maybe an exploding ship! Who knows.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/content.php?25-How-to-construct-a-sinking-ship-and-a-sinking-ship-on-fire

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

I’m sitting down with the new carving/clay sculpting tools I purchased from Amazon. Going to try and make the coastline less FLAT.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will not only be interested to see your results Chuck, but also any pictures of these tools you have purchased.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

I purchased a small hobby scroll saw from amazon, the blades are very small and thin, perfect for cutting that foam.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Looks like it's coming along nicely Chuck.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

For cutting this type of foam board (insulation dense cell) your best bet is to get a foam cutting tool. The cheapest is a battery operated one that uses a heated wire to cut the foam with.
    I used to make all kinds of terrain for a good number of different games over the years, so I've got lots of experience with it. If you can afford one, get a plug in wire foam cutter. You can set the temperature to the kind of foam you are cutting, and it stays consistently hot. Unlike the battery operated kind.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I may have to take up your advice Daniel, if only to speed up the production.
    For years I have relied on the good old Band saw Abra saw and oscillating sander for most of the roughing out, Then scalpel, keyhole saw, files and glass-paper for defining the detail.
    It looks as if I am going to have to bite the bullet and spend out on a hot wire after all.
    Rob.