Thread: Production of San Pedro Fort and Island.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Fort St. Pedro Island.

San Pedro Fort Valdivia.

Name:  B4lXlrNIQAACDOz.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  20.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20180217_0001.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  277.2 KB

Marking out for the Island using a google image of the Isla Mancera.

Name:  IMG_5809.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  159.0 KB

Rob.

And here is the basic shape cut out and ready to add the beach.

Name:  IMG_5813.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  174.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5814.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  134.9 KB

Rob.

This morning a little marking out ready for the Router.

Name:  IMG_5815.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  135.3 KB

Rob.

Leaving the contouring for a while, today I am now starting to cut up and assemble the parts for the fortifications.

Name:  IMG_5817.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  148.8 KB

Rob.

Here is today's progress. Being snowed in is a wonderful thing to get some work done.

Name:  IMG_5818.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  100.1 KB
    Cutting filing joints to fit and assembly of the Fort.

Name:  IMG_5819.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  77.2 KB

Marking out the base.

Name:  IMG_5820.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  137.7 KB

Cut out base being checked for accuracy with the cliff top.

Rob.

Here is last nights work.

Name:  IMG_5823.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  144.2 KB

The fort attached to the base.
    Rob.

Overnight I poured PVA into the fort to raise the level of the inner courtyard to what it shows in the picture.
    Now just waiting for it to set in these cold temperatures so that I can get on with painting it.

Name:  IMG_5830.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  131.6 KB

Placed it by the radiator along with the island as I have also glued the hill top on to it.
    May start on painting the houses in the meantime.

Name:  IMG_5831.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  109.6 KB

Rob.

Now finished shaping Island and shoreline.

Name:  IMG_5832.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  160.6 KB

Now glued and cramped for setting.

Name:  IMG_5835.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  150.9 KB

Late last night once the glue was set I coated the whole set up with PVA to harden the surface and then left overnight to harden.

Name:  IMG_5836.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  168.4 KB

Rob.

Today I have given the island an undercoat of brown paint ready for landscaping.

Name:  IMG_5838.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  161.8 KB

Rob.

Last night I added another coat of glue, added green scatter and gave the coastline and beach a base coat of yellow paint.

Name:  IMG_5839.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  180.5 KB

Rob

Beach forming.

Name:  IMG_5841.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  198.2 KB

More PVA and sand plus a scattering of railway ballast.
    Rob.

This morning I have had recourse to a different type of glue. Sticky glue used to add arboricultural effects to the landscape.( STICK SOME TREES IN)

Name:  IMG_5842.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  187.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5843.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  200.2 KB

Rob.

I have now managed to get the fortifications stuck down with Super glue.

Name:  IMG_5844.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  202.5 KB

I am about to start a large house painting programme, or rather a large lot of small house painting.
    Rob.

Today the houses got painted and glued on, and the guns went into the fort.
    Just waiting for a couple of coats of matte varnish overall to complete the job.

Name:  IMG_5851.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  176.0 KB

Tomorrow I start on Fort Niebla.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-12-2018 at 05:45.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I'm curious for the result.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hopefully like this Sven.

Name:  Mancera.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  32.2 KB

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-21-2018 at 02:03.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Looks good, waiting the following steps.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Make sure you don't make it mirrored.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good advice Jonas.
    On historical work I always sketch in the main details on the upper surface before I start.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Is your foam strictly a modeling foam? I have some house insulation foam that looks like your foam when viewed from here.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

In looking at the first picture of the actual island, was that originally a star fort that has lost two or more walls to the sea?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20180222_121320.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  89.0 KB

I'm following your example, Rob. Suzanne loves it already!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

To answer your questions Dobbs.
    Firstly I bought this foam for making my Fort Ticondoroga from a firm which insulated the insides od caravans. For large 25 mm scale structures it was fine but too thick and unwieldy for this finer work so I went to a model shop who did the same foam in smaller sizes.
    They call it modellers foam but it is exactly the same as the insulation foam.

From other pictures I have of the fort it seems as if it was a composite of two sides of a standard star fort with a third wall following the contours of the valley with the houses in it. That wall was slightly angled with a double gatehouse at the central point and what seem to be small round towers at the extreme ends. Of any rear bastions there seems to be no evidence.
    I am going to do the best I can with what is available. After all it is for gaming and I have already compromised on rthe island overall size which should scale to about 400 m wide to 500 m long. At 1200 scale that is just too big for my games table.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I am going to do the best I can with what is available. After all it is for gaming and I have already compromised on rthe island overall size which should scale to about 400 m wide to 500 m long. At 1200 scale that is just too big for my games table.
    Rob.
    Ah, yes, scale. I thought it would be cool to have a high bluff at one end of the island, so went for the 5 cm foam. I think the fall of the land to the beaches on the rest of the island might look incongruous. After all, 50mm in our scale works out to 50m in real life. That's a tall cliff.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Dobbs.
    As you can see from my marking on the side of the cliff it 1s 25mm and will be cut down to half that height with the valley much lower than that sloping down to the sea at either end.
    I may even lower it more when I have tested it out.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I'm looking forward to seeing how you shape your terrain.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20180224_135418.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  122.4 KB

Is there a secret to making the crags?
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-24-2018 at 15:26.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You seem to be OK with those. Try adding a few ragged cuts at an angle to the down strokes, also som superficial ones that run into the main fault lines. Above all look at rock formations.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I'm using a triangular file and a bit of 60 grit sandpaper for shaping the terrain.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can also use a craft knife to shift large amounts if you use a sawing action with it.
    Electric carving knives and hot wire cutters may also be useful.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Brilliant work Rob. I particularly like how your assembled bits already look the part of fortifications built over time without having even placed them.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Outstanding work

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob, I have two questions. First, I see you use PVA glue. Is that like Elmer's? (Do you have Elmer's in England?)

Am I right that when you are scattering your grass, the darker color is paint? I mean that there isn't grass everywhere?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks again chaps.
    In answer to your question Dobbs.
    I undercoat the whole area light brown light earth or sand brown depending on the type of surface required. Then scatter a mixture of my own green and dark green onto a second layer of PVA. The PVA I use depends upon what is cheapest at the store when I go in. Sometimes I even water it down to get an effect I want. I do not know "Elmers."
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Elmers is a PVA "school" glue (grade school project glue). It has the consistency of light syrup. I have never used it since grade school, so I'm learning its adult uses now...

Does this sound like the stuff you use? When you water it down, you just use water? This is the most gentle glue I have ever used, so pardon my incredulity.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-28-2018 at 07:39.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I know of Elmers glue and that is the same type of PVA glue I use on my terrain which I make the same way as Rob.
    I don't think it's available in Europe.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Elmers is a PVA "school" glue (grade school project glue). It has the consistency of light syrup. I have never used it since grade school, so I'm learning its adult uses now...

Does this sound like the stuff you use? When you water it down, you just use water? This is the most gentle glue I have ever used, so pardon my incredulity.
    This is that type of glue Dobbs, but sounds a little thicker than yours. I usualluse it as neaters, but water it down if covering anything aith fine detail to avoid obscuring it.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Great work Rob

Great work Rob! You have known how to combine different pieces very well with a very good result.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Julián.
    Not up to your standard however!
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

That is coming along very very nicely! Can’t wait to see it surrounded by Ships!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasChuck View Post
    That is coming along very very nicely! Can’t wait to see it surrounded by Ships!
    I'm afraid that will be a few weeks yet Chuck. I have the Fort Neibla and headland to produce before I unvail the whole harbour.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Rob- one might find one accused of being a “land lubber” if ye spends too much time away from the sea, frolicking about the sand and grass.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very true Aaron.
    Should have been sailing this weekend at Hammerhead, but the Fleet got iced up in several different harbours.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Hi Rob

It was fascinating to read your blog and then see the terrain up close along with your verbal description on how and why. I am always amazed at the attention to detail you apply not only is all your terrain great they are also works of art.
    I look forward to the end of the month for our regular monthly action only this time I get instead instruction and mentoring on terrain building

Andy (Captain Kiwi)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for your kind remarks and rep Andy.
    We will soon have a chap of your painting skills knocking it out with the best of us.
    Rob.

That island looks great!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Any Captain flying enemy colors would be nervous rounding this point.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You ain't seen nothing yet Paul.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Today the houses got painted and glued on, and the guns went into the fort.
    Just waiting for a couple of coats of matte varnish overall to complete the job.
    I was wondering about that. By matte varnish, do you mean clear matte spray paint? Don't your trees get soggy?

I was buying materials the other day, based on your list in another post, and when I got to the fine and coarse grit, I thought, "that's really coarse, I must have it wrong." When I got home, I saw your beaches, and thought, "should've bought the coarse grit!"

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning Dobbs.
    I use any spray varnish I can. Used to buy Workshop matte varnish.That got too expensive, so I moved onto car spray. However, to ensure a real matte finish the top coat is always "Testors' Dullcoat." It ain#t cheap but does ensure a good finish and eliminates that white bloom you sometimes get in humid or very damp conditions.
    Re sand and gravel, I use fine sand from railway model shops, plus as I said the two grades of ballast. For a point of interest, ie outliers, like the one off the tip of the fort, I look for a stone of larger dimension from the gravel surrounding my house and add that before the scatter of other rocks. Be careful not to overdo this effect, as it may detract from the main features. With all backgrounds of this sort, understated is better and slightly under scale, unlike with Model Railways, also helps especially when photographing your setup. It is after all mainly just fluff, unless you intend to fight over the terrain. To this end I use Langtons ships in harbour for two reasons. They are both undersized at 1200 scale, and can be supplied with furled sails or even just crossed yards.
    Hope this helps you to a successful conclusion with your own project.
    Any other queries just post here.
    Now on with today's fort before I have to go fpr my yearly Asthma checkup. Life does sometimes get in the way of getting on with ones hobby don't you think?
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Very nicely done, sir! I am impressed with the detail you've included and am considering making some terrain myself. I've got an old 1:2400 star fort and several shore batteries from Valiant that I want to dress up for our games. Thanks for the inspiration!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Great looking fort and island Rob, I hope to see in the flesh at the new Hammerhead

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Funny you should say that Chris.
    I was hoping to open the Sails morning with an abridged take on Corcrane's attack on Valdiva. That way you will see all three of my new terrain pieces.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sounds excellent to me Rob, what ships do you need ?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A couple of Spanish Frigates if you can manage them, but chiefly yourself.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I will try to get a couple done in time

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris, and I have not forgotten your cards, they are the next thing in the queue to do.
    Rob.

NICE NICE NICE!!! I'm looking forward to starting an island too

All buildings are from brigademodels?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I like Brigade because you can see what you are getting Julián, and I also find some of Langton's a bit out of scale for my taste. Thanks very much for the rep.
    Rob.

If you're right. Langton should update his website and post photos of each of his items. I would like in the future to make a nineteenth-century industrial harbour and Brigade offers me all that possibility.