Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Absorbing Damage

This just occurred to me. Let's say you have a 1st rate that is heavily damaged. You are down to your last box of unfilled hull damage. Then, you take one point of damage. Since the last box now has a point of damage, are you no longer able to fire any broadside? Is small arms and boarding now your only hope? Or must you surrender?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This is how I understand it. Page 16 of the rulebook states that the leftmost empty box indicates the firepower of the ship, so your 1st rate would be unable to fire its cannons. However, according to page 18 you would have to surrender the ship anyway because all the boxes are covered.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

As per David my understanding is as soon as the last box has damage, thats any damage, it must surrender, whats left of the crew are too busy trying to keek whats left of the ship from sinking and cannot fight

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Strange to say Cpt. Kiwi and I came across this very conundrum in our last game and decided to treat it the same way as you chaps.
    Morale gone, but enough crew to put out the fire which was burning. Had there also been a hole to repair she would have sunk before the fire burnt her to the waterline anyway.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.