Thread: Captains Cabin

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Default Captains Cabin

It has been talked that this year the campaign will be 6 games one every other month.

As we are already well into February it is only fair to offer a 5 game campaign starting in March and ending in November. These games can be any size, fleet, ssquadron or single ship actions to suit your individual tastes.

I only ask that you design a game on the same principles as have already be used in previous years post your briefing then post your AAR here. That way we may get 5 games but as many different games as we have players. If you wish to play someone elses scenario then you just follow the briefing as laid down by that player.

Have fun.

UJ

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very good move Neil.
    It will obviate the need for a lot of admin work.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

As a first timer in the solo campaigns, after we play a scenario posted in this thread, do we post our AAR in this thread or in the AAR thread located elsewhere on this site?
    B.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In this thread Bill with the title of AAR.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    In this thread Bill with the title of AAR.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob!
    B.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No problem Bill, just as long as we enjoy our games is all.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Do we want a spreadsheet for results or will players keep a tab themselves?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Is it possible to establish a spreadsheet similar to last years Neil?

Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Ill try and get one done before I leave for France next Tuesday.

I just need confirmation of email addresses of all players to link in.

I will mak e the spreadsheet open for edit by al players.

Individual players keep their own fleet sheets up to date as they play.

Neil

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Neil.
    I will PM my details.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Spreadsheet is up.

Please check you have access.

It is up to individual players to keep the game info up to date.

Neil

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Where have you hidden the link Neil?

Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

oops.....

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi Neil,
    I have access to the spreadsheet, but I am not sure what I should be doing there....what do I do next ?

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

If you read some of last years scenarios & AAR's then you'll get the gist of gaining points etc.

For ships:
    1. Each of your ships has a max hull & crew rating.
    2. After a completed scenario some of your ships may have hull & crew loss damage.
    3. Look on your chart and the 2 numbers in red immediately after your burden/hull/crew columns are the hull & crew points you gain back for free.
    4. The rules shold explain any delays in recouping the remainder.

If your short of ships you can sail short handed and with damage. Just keep a track.

Gaining points enables ship captains to gain skills. I am sure this is explained in the rules bit too.

Neil

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi Neil,
    Thanks -- I see now -- I played the first "Letter of Marque" scenario with my Constitution before I understood the campaign rules -- so I will keep that ship for those scenarios, I suppose. I see where to report that I played that game, but not sure what I should report other than crew and damage losses (I see KIA and W for the Captain, but not sure what RPT and C stand for). Sorry for being so obtuse...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

RTP means Returned to port and C for captured Bill. Don't worry too much, you will make a few. We all did and still do in the heat of action. Remember that as a Captain, the only silly question is the one you don't ask. That is generally the one which sees you on the rocks.

Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Apologies for not replying but Rob caught the slack for me.

Asking a quesion is not obtuse in the least ask away, we all have at some stage, and still do.

Neil

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Is your mail box available Neil. Cpt Kiwi tried to PM you about joining the game and your mailbox full message came back to him.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A slight problem filling in March solo for Letters of Mark Neil, as McBride is sailing in the Merchantman Rose.
    Do I credit his results to Nottingham to avoid problems?
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    A slight problem filling in March solo for Letters of Mark Neil, as McBride is sailing in the Merchantman Rose.
    Do I credit his results to Nottingham to avoid problems?
    Rob.
    I would as he's off that ship.

Ref Capn Kiwi....inbox should be free now.

Neil

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will do that then Neil and let Cpt. Kiwi know he can get in touch with you.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now we are sorted with the first two missions which were really supposed to be Jan and March but came in a bit late we can go properly bi monthly with May being the second Privateers or Pirates one.
    Then the rest of the year goes as follows:-

July. Fleet action.

September. Privateers or Pirates.

November. Fleet Action.

That will have given us three of each for the year.
    Any shipmate who can complete five out of the six during the year will be eligible for a medal.

Any takers wish to write a scenario or do I pick up the May one?

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is Neil's synopsis of how we attribute points, make repairs and share out the booty for this year.

Rob.

1. Nation v Nation:
    ........a. Ability Points
    ................i. How to earn Ability Points
    .......................1. At the end of the game
    ...............................a. the burdens of each ship that has been sunk or captured are added together
    ...............................b. The burden total is divided by number of the player’s captains starting the game.
    ........................................i. The player’s captains and their crews get the points even if their ships were sunk or captured
    .......................................ii. Survivor’s benefits.
    ...............................c. The scenario totals are reported as decimals, but the annual totals are rounded to whole numbers.
    .......................Example:
    ...............................a. Captain Sterling leads 3 ships against the wily French. The French lost 2 ships, a third rated ship with a burden of 5, and a frigate with a burden of 3.
    ...............................b. Bligh, the player, is awarded 8 ability points. Those points are divided between the 3 captains so that each captain gets 2.67 points.
    ...............................c. Sterling, the leader of the squadron, is also awarded 1 point for achieving the goal of the scenario.
    .........ii. Repairs
    .................1. Half of the hull and half of the crew boxes are filled between scenarios
    .................2. Example:
    .......................a. Constitution has 9 hull and 9 crew boxes when she is undamaged
    .......................b. Damage from game play
    ...............................i. She takes 8 boxes of hull damage
    ..............................ii. She takes 4 boxes of crew damage
    .......................c. Repairs
    ...............................i. Her captain can repair 5 hull boxes leaving 3 damaged
    ..............................ii. Her captain can recruit 5 crew boxes which completely replaces the crew
    .......................d. Next scenario
    ...............................i. Constitution can begin the next scenario with a complete crew, but with the 3 left hull boxes covered
    ..............................ii. Constitution can stay in port for the next scenario and complete repairs on her hull
    2. Letters of Marque
    ........a. Treasure Points (tp)
    ........b. Income
    ................i. Warships
    .......................1. Value of the ship = 1 tp for each burden point
    .......................2. Value of equipment = 1 tp for each undamaged hull box
    .......................3. Bounty for a sunken ship = 1 tp for each burden point only
    ...............ii. Merchant Ship
    .......................1. Value of the ship = 1 tp for each burden point
    .......................2. Value of equipment = 1tp for each undamaged hull box
    .......................3. Value of cargo = 1 tp for box reserved for cargo
    .......................4. Value of a sunken merchant ship = 0 tp
    .........c. Expenditures
    ................i. Hull Damage:
    .......................1. Repairs to half of the hull boxes can be repaired for free
    .......................2. 1 tp repairs 1 hull box
    ...............ii. Crew Replacement:
    .......................1. Half of the crew boxes are healed for free
    .......................2. 1 tp recruits 1 crew box
    ..............iii. If you don’t have the treasure to make complete repairs you need to report how you will allocate your treasure points for partial repairs.
    ..............iv. Jack’s Union Bank will not allow you to have a negative balance.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have now updated the Spreadsheets for both Nation vs Nation and Letters of Marque.
    Rob.