Thread: Return of the prodigal son?

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Default Return of the prodigal son?

Hi everybody. Nice to see that nothing much has changed since I've been gone lo these many months. After a couple of years trying to start a Sails of Glory club in Tucson including going to the last three years at the Rincon Convention, I finally gave up and decided to try something different. Fed up, I dusted off my old Subbuteto set from the mid 70's, built a gaming table and attended last year's RinCon. The game was a startling success. It was so successful that I have been invited to the Arizona Game Fair at the Mesa Convention Center on Feb 9, 10th, and 11th just to introduce people to the game. Subbuteto isn't sold in the US, just the rest of the world. Since RinCon17, I have started a local Subbuteto League, we meet every Tuesday night from 5:30 to closing at the Blackrock Brewers in Tucson (best porter in town). We are currently playing a tournament there and I am only mid way in the standings!

My return to this board is to let you know that I will be at the Mesa Convention Center on Feb 10th and 11th and will be bringing all my Sails of glory stuff to sell. I have a pretty good collection including the one of a kind USS Niagara complete with cards and ship mat that I built and documented on this very site. I also have the coveted captain and crew deck, both the USS Constitution and HMS Victory with their cards and decks and about 50 ships from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd waves. Lots and lots of extras like unopened mats, shore batteries, and other stuff you will want. All of it is stored in 4 count em 4 art bin cases, plus the original starter set box. As a special added bonus, you can have my signs that I used at RinCon trying to recruit sailors to the game. You can see those in action on this site that I have posted over the years.

I am hoping to give a really, really good deal to the players in Phoenix. This means you, Gunner. I will give bargain basement prices to anybody who is an Anchorage member. All of you have been great and it was a true pleasure to talk to all of you and I would like to give something back to you all.

Now, if anybody out there is a soccer fan, Starting this Saturday, the MLS preseason starts in Tucson. First up, this Saturday is the LA galaxy vs Real Salt Lake and then the Portland Timbers vs Seattle Sounders. If anybody is coming down to see these matches, we can arrange a Subbuteto game for you.

Here is the Garage Soccer podcast (based in Miami) that was posted yesterday, interviewing me and Sean about our club in Tucson: https://garagesoccer.podbean.com

I hope to get to meet some old salts from this site on Feb 10th and 11th.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Very sad to hear you're leaving us for good this time. I hope your ships bring a new player to our fleet and that you stay the person you are. I will miss your confrontations and fresh views! Good luck!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Very sad to hear you're leaving us for good this time. I hope your ships bring a new player to our fleet and that you stay the person you are. I will miss your confrontations and fresh views! Good luck!
    Hail and farewell. Nobody ever really quits the Anchorage. I will still read everybody's posts. But, the kettle boils and we're so easily drawn away...

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It is good to hear from you, Kenneth, but it is sad that you feel you must give up playing Sails of Glory. However, every success with the Subbuteo Soccer. I used to own a set when I was much younger.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It grieves me to have to say goodbye to an old shipmate who has contributed much to the Anchorage over this period of time Ken. I wish you well in your new venture.
    Please let us know how you are doing from time to time, and thanks for all the tips and help you have given other poor Matelots.
    One last drink for old times sake then.
    Sail safe.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    It grieves me to have to say goodbye to an old shipmate who has contributed much to the Anchorage over this period of time Ken. I wish you well in your new venture.
    Please let us know how you are doing from time to time, and thanks for all the tips and help you have given other poor Matelots.
    One last drink for old times sake then.
    Sail safe.
    Rob.
    I even brought my set to the Subbuteto club and played members of the league, but there was little interest in playing more games after the initial one. As I said before, I will be bringing all my game parts to Phoenix next saturday and sunday.
    I have acquired 33 ships, the captain and crew deck, 4 unopened additional ship mats, 4 unopened additional counters, everything from the starter set, and the coastal batteries. I'm willing to sell the whole shebang, including the art bins for $300.00 which comes out to less than 5 dollars per item, be it a ship or an expansion pack. selling singly, I'll take 5 dollars for each item. I want to give back to you guys. What doesn't sell next weekend will probably wind up on eBay unless you contact me on this site. I will be happy to work something out.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would be more than happy to take the ship mats from you and pay postage to the UK.
    All I really want is the ships damage chits for my none official ships.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.