Thread: Newbie Question....

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default Newbie Question....

I know the question I am about to ask is context dependent (frigate or ship of the line, inland or open sea scenarios, etc) but all things being equal is there a preferred movement deck ? If you were picking a ship to command, which movement deck ( A, B, C, D, etc.) would influence your decision ?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I am not sure that I understand your question, Bill. Each class of ship has a specific movement deck. It has to use that assigned movement deck regardless of the scenario.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi David, Thanks for your response. Perhaps my "rookie" status has left me unnecessarily confused. Please let me try again...in the introductory set, for instance, the HMS Defence and the Genereux are both ships of the line (class III) -- one uses a D maneuver deck, the other a B deck -- is one more desirable/advantageous than the other? Similarly, the HMS Terpsichore and the Courageuse are both frigates (class V) yet one uses an A deck and the other a C deck -- is one a more advantageous/desirable movement capacity? I know in large fleet actions it probably doesn't matter (line up and go at them) but in smaller squadron or single ship actions it might influence which ship you might want to use if there is a significant difference.
    best,
    Bill

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As far as I can see the faster ship has the advantage in single ship actions, but you also need to consider the veer, fire power and burden of your ship to get a rounded vision of the capabilities of the ship.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.