Thread: Designing a new hardside Sails storage case

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Default Designing a new hardside Sails storage case

Inspired by our new member Robbage, I'm starting to think about designing a new Sails storage system--I'm thinking of a hardside case where each section opens like a book, each side holding one layer of ships lined up in rows stem-to-stern like they were in a miniature bookcase. Each ship base would nestle into a socket that when the plastic lid is closed over it, locks the base into place with the ship free-floating in an empty space, held in place by its pin in the base--the vision is that when you have one module separated from any others and opened up, you could set it on a shelf and have it display the contents like a small china-cabinet.

As I start penciling out ideas, I'm gonna need some input from you guys--I may even share some of my preliminary 3d renders, but they'll be strictly for Anchorage Member Review ONLY. @Bligh and other mods, is there some Members Only subforum we can put this in?

First questions:
    1. What's the biggest acceptable "size envelope" for these? I'm thinking to establish a limit in 2-d, with the rack on its side ready to have more modules latched on for carry/transport.
    2. Storage Cells--should they be one size fits all, split as "generic multidecker/generic singledecker," split by rate, or a dedicated cell design for each sculpt?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

Hmm, I smell a tasty soup brewing. Something elegant, yet not over the top so. And the hard side, book format approach keeps that aggregate together. Designed to transport as well, I imagine? Can't chime in much on one size fits all except sometimes it is daunting keeping everything in a designated place and being able to grab any case, any one of a hundred clear cases that I use, is nice.

Keep us posted on this most certainly!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The vision is that once you close up one "book," you can then latch another to it, and so on. I'm thinking use something like one of those strap-on luggage handles to carry it... just gotta figure out where to stick the logs.

My first thought was four rows of three or four ships each, with a drawer for logs, rulebook etc. in the bottom, but I was concerned about whether that might be getting too big.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

Boy, sure could use a sketch at some point. Not a big dimensional thinker.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Working on one in my CAD program... it'll be a bit though, between higher-priority (read: "retainer fee already in-hand;" first-funded gets first priority regardless of rate, whether it's James the neighbor kid for help with History tutoring or James Mattis) projects and wanting to ensure that my ideas don't get poached--I've had a few cases where I made the mistake of posting sketches for public view and somebody else nicked 'em and beat me to commercialization.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

I see we're together in WA. What is is it you do for a career?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Freelance historian (sigline decrypted: "Professional Military Historian, Subject Matter Expert, Three Letter Acronyms, Blah Blah Blah) and researcher, occasionally dabbling in a little engineering and R&D. I actually do some work for Ares every now and again...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

Now there's a handle: 'Freelance Historian and Researcher'. Don't see too many of those around. Freelancer here myself, Adventure Journalist', for lack of a better title.

Sounds to me like both careers have followed the heart.
    Last edited by robbage; 01-27-2018 at 12:27.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, to a degree--my goal is college Military History prof (my career wet-dream is to teach at West Point if only for one term), but for now while I'm sidelined taking care of aging-disgracefully relatives this at least lets me maintain perishable skills and keep some skin in the game. :)

And it gives me something to do to take my mind off being chained down by the rels and unable to get out to the range as much as I'd like. (Best way to learn Mil History: eat the grunt's food, use his gear and fire his weapons--with the rations, gear and iron of both sides. Don't just listen to some pedagogue drone about it, go out and to the extent possible LIVE it. Experience The Suck firsthand, hopefully without any of the danger.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

Very good. My bro went to West Point, now he's a Prof too or a Doc of Education, something like that. Family's an iffy commodity, to be sure, especially the aging relatives that go crazy on the way out.

Quesiton for you. Why is there no acrylic template available for Sails? I'd like one.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

What kind of template? If you mean for movement, I suspect it may be Ares wanting to keep things proprietary.

Also, I need some help: I need the following measurements for SGN202 (don't have mine handy) and 113 to 116 (which I don't have yet).
    --Distance bow/jib overhang front of base in mm
    --Distance stern/spanker overhang rear of base in mm
    --Distance widest yardarm (202 only) overhangs sides of base, if any, in mm
    --Height from waterline to top of mainmast in mm
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

No, not maneuver, for the Ship Mats, to keep tokens securely in place.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

My guess is they figured Keith at Aerodrome Accessories (the guy who pays the freight and runs this site) would come up with something, like he has so many innovations for the other game.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

SGN202
    --Distance bow/jib overhang front of base in mm -- 18mm
    --Distance stern/spanker overhang rear of base in mm -- Flush
    --Distance widest yardarm (202 only) overhangs sides of base, if any, in mm -- None
    --Height from waterline to top of mainmast in mm -- 70mm - base adds another 7mm

The others are still in transit. I'm hopeful they'll arrive any day now. I'll post the specs when I get them if nobody else beats me to it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For the numbers of us who would want the templates for Sails I guess it would not be worth Keith getting them machined up. Also they would be very hard to assess just how deep to make them as stacks of chits can be quite high for damage, and I would think difficult to move once dropped into a deep slot.
    Price would be a big issue as perspex is not cheap and for some games I for one would need at least 12 of them.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

Sense made, thanks Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by twsl View Post
    SGN202
    --Distance bow/jib overhang front of base in mm -- 18mm
    --Distance stern/spanker overhang rear of base in mm -- Flush
    --Distance widest yardarm (202 only) overhangs sides of base, if any, in mm -- None
    --Height from waterline to top of mainmast in mm -- 70mm - base adds another 7mm

The others are still in transit. I'm hopeful they'll arrive any day now. I'll post the specs when I get them if nobody else beats me to it.
    Thanks, Alan. Looks like if I do one-size-for all that means needing a "float space" 95mm wide, 71mm high and 50mm deep--and even then what I'm envisioning depends on the user to ensure that the ship is securely pinned into its base.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB