Thread: A Bit of a Storage Rant and Ramble

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

Default A Bit of a Storage Rant and Ramble

My concept of storage for a game like this, or its sibling Wings, is not at all about travel. I simply don’t take them anywhere, although in the recent past I would haul them along on month long wilderness seacoast kayak expeditions. Laying in a tent in a storm at the edge of the world or out on a tiny island offshore as a storm rages and the tents shelters admirably, is to experience a form of sanctuary and the resultant degree of immersion from a game played by headlamp in that tent with the wind howling like hades and waves booming like a frigate salvo . . . is unlike any other.

Shot of us on remote BC coast back in the day playing a German copy of Settlers of Catan:

Name:  game in tent.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  163.1 KB

And yes, I would take fragile miniatures into this world. Stored in foam inside a bomber Pelicase. But these days the purpose of storage for me for a game like Sails is to have the ships at hand, secured in foam or magnets or something inside trays or boxes, but more importantly, in a quality, elegant manner. These trays would be modular so that I can take one out to admire the ships, study the logs, or carry to the game table.

I don’t much like the phrase ‘pride of ownership’. It sounds like a materialistic paradigm, something I am half-heartedly struggling to distance myself from. But I do feel that pleasant contentment, satisfaction or pride, is it? . . . that a lovingly curated and utilized collection can provide. In fact, I may get more pleasure, albeit subtle, reflecting on the possession of such a collection than the actual play of it.

Which brings me to Sails and how to store it because this is as important to me as the game itself. I have yet to see a pic of Keith’s Dry Docks with ships inside. Does anyone have one they could post here? I like the circumspect aspect of holding cards ships and logs. Even at only three ships per tray, it seems both convenient and portable to bring to the table. But how does it look with ships placed vertically in their slots? And what is the ease of taking them in and out?

By comparison I looked over the KR Multicase line and quickly dismissed it. I think Keith is onto something with the Microcell foam, as long as it is not so dense that the fingers can’t squeeze in to pick up a ship. And as for the ship logs, where are they stored? Underneath and loose? There is only one review on the Aerodrome to date and it was ambivalent, saying the slots are a little tight for the cards. Can anyone provide more insight on this?
    Last edited by robbage; 01-25-2018 at 22:24.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning Rob.
    What an eloquent diatribe on a subject which I had hitherto taken to be a mundane matter. Whilst we have waxed lyrical, and in some cases not so lyrical about the beauty of the ships, and even how to display them, the transportation has hitherto been merely a mundane matter of safely getting them from A to B. Your post has opened up a new possibility for a whole new debate. One of which I feel unqualified on which to comment, as Philistine like, I keep all my ships in the boxes, and use a B&Q case for transportation.
    I am sure, though, that some of our shipmates will be only too happy to regale you with a myriad of yarns about how they go about the task of display vs sympathetic storage.

I look forward to discovering if any of them have the same esoteric cast as your own on this challenge.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I've been starting to think about designing my own "free float" storage/display/travel case. In essence, rather than foam the shelves would mechanically clamp each ship's base in place, with the lower section being a full flat bottom, then a crossmember going between each two bases, and then finally a 1/4" wide top-section coming over the base's port edge, with a similar shelf on the transparent cover finally locking it into place once closed.

I'll see about working something up in Sketchup, but I'm gonna need some help--since we won't be able to pivot ships to overlap thanks to those new cross-pegs Ares adopted starting with the Specials, I'm going to need measurements for how far each sculpt hangs over the ends to figure out clearance room.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds interesting DB. I will as usual be following your deliberations with the utmost interest.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

Hey Rob, thanks for the props on the spiel. Been on my mind from time to time of late—an holistic approach to owning/playing a collection—with regard to miniature sets, notably, the ones from Ares. And it is not even about display, really, but more like I want them housed in a portable, elegant manner, replete with associated cards/bits. Soft foam has zero aesthetic appeal for me and is conducive to snagging pointy parts. But these three ship closed cell foam trays of Keith's look like the the cat's ass to me.

Now I just need to find some, 20 in total, and I would love to see a picture of one locked and loaded.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You might try sending him a PM about the trays Rob.
    If he has any about I'm sure he will post a picture for you.
    Any of you other Captains out there got a Fleet in Keith's Dock that you could show Rob?
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

Keith and I have been in touch. He's so busy that there can be quite a lag between notes so I don't want to bother him overmuch. I thought for sure I'd find a pic somewhere.
    Last edited by robbage; 01-25-2018 at 22:23.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Guess we will just have to rely on one of our shipmates coming up with the goods then.
    I know the chaps over here are using mainly KR Multi-cases.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Unlike yourself Rob, I did not discount KR cases, quite the opposite in fact and my fleets are exclusively packed into KR cases.
    A single case easily holds upto 3 first rates, 5 third rates nine frigates and 4 sloops, including, bases, decks and mats.
    Of course packaging and movement of your fleets are a personal choice but for me The KR cases are exactly what I need and keep everything safe, even when rigged.
    I have reviewed the KR cases available for Sails here on the forum.

All my Wings aircraft are in KR cases, the cardboard version to save $. I can certainly recommend them for securing the models whilst traveling.

For Sails I went with magnets on the bases with steel paper glued to stackable cases. I can stack four up with 3 cases for ships (10 or so in each) and ones for the other bits.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

Good for you, Chris; this is a subjective call for some of us when all is said and done. Looks like a practical solution to me and that is most of the issue right there. I just know I could not abide that soft blue foam, in any case. Have had soft foam before with miniatures and while it seems a better much for metal figures, I just don't much like it aesthetically.

And Eric, am thinking about magnetic storage options also. If there were a nifty way to field the cards/log along with the ships, I might consider it. Sometimes just knowing that there are one or two fewer steps from the urge to play to getting everything to the table is enough to carry the day.

Currently, I've got ships in clear Ultra Pro cases, one per ship with all cards and logs. It has merit, but the cards do lean in against the ship. Until I get a windfall of Dry Docks, it will have to do.

Name:  IMGP8043.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  128.6 KB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Not to threadjack, but just to assist my engineering efforts... Oh hell, I'll start a new thread.
    https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....s-storage-case

Right now, this is what I use for my 74s and Meregildos's (64's and smaller I have a different system for; Constitution and correct-size three-deckers yet a third)

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.u..._3litreOrg.php
    Cards in the bottom, base along one side, ship tipped over on its side or capsizing, log pieces on top. I pay about $30 for each of these (16 ships worth) at Staples, and they have the benefit of a hard locking closure, though not a watertight seal.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

Not a bad program, has a lot of the practical aspect covered: secure, singular, inclusive ship cases in compact, aggregate mounting format. It does have a little of the hobby store look about it though, which I am hoping to avoid.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

In an ideal world I also would have liked a transport system holding all the ships and cards together.
    When I first spoke to KR about sails trays this was mentioned, KR then borrowed a couple of my ships, cards etc and went away.
    The trays were then designed to fit into the existing KR case and tray system to give the maximum number of slots per tray.

Initially it was looked at to have the ships upright in the trays, but this meant having a two third tray leaving a single tray to fit on top. His was not used in the end and may well be my fault , as my ships from the KS and others bought did not stay attached to the base and in transit it was deemed to be a danger to the models if they came off the base. So a silouette method was prefered.
    As you may be able to see from the pic in my review this helped keeping to a single tray depth and rigged ships could be layed down in the cut out slots.

Best of luck in finding a system that suits you, which is what it is all about and if I can assist with any info etc just ask. Not saying I can help much but I have experience with the KR sails trays and how to utilize the trays to max benefit. I have attended a number of shows in the U.k and not yet had a transport misshap.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

What I'm envisioning, and have started asking questions about in my spinoff thread, will not be cheap but it will fit Sails ships like a glove. Catch is, I need you guys to help me refine the vision and help define the space I have to work with...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    rob

I like the sound of that, DB; for something like this if it was indeed an ultimate solution on all fronts, cost would be the least concern. Will hie over to your new thread on this.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Came across this slick storage set-up over at BGG. The link below will take you to the image. I am refraining from offering more information as the owner may want to post it themselves.

Ship carrying case.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Look a sound enough method even if the cards are not with the ships Paul.
    That is a fair number per box if the tray does indeed fit into the box.
    As an aside it is good to see Mayor Jim posting on that site.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Default My current transportation & storage system

I have found that the Flambeau brand of the large and deep multi-section plastic containers answer handsomely well for the most part. The front pockets that have the handle recesses are a bit of a pain for ship storage however. I store the movement cards and ship logs in a separate container made by Plano which is likewise a deep multi-section container.
    I had thought of putting the ships logs and movement decks together in the same container and actually did so until my ship collection out grew the containers. I would like to get more of the Flambeau versions of containers, unfortunately I ran into an availability issue for them. The Plano deep well containers do not answer as the sections are not wide enough to accomodate the width of the ships base. Lengthwise they are fine.
    I store all of the containers and the ship log mats and play mats, damage counters and counter bags etc in a large rolling upright suitcase.
    See attached photos of the containers etc.
    Name:  IMG_20180329_220840.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  147.3 KB
    This is the Flambeau container with the French ships in it.

Name:  IMG_20180329_220947.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  146.5 KB
    This container is the Plano container with the ships Log boards and movement cards. Each ships log and movement deck are combined together in a ziplock storage bag and then placed in the container. Each faction is put together.

Name:  IMG_20180329_221258.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  143.9 KB
    This is a standard large container that I keep the different tokens range rulers etc in.

Name:  IMG_20180329_220659.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  129.6 KB
    This is the ship's log mat that I attached to a piece of foamcore. I deliberately extended the length to allow for the cards to fit onto the board. The log board still fits into the appropriate spot as usual.

Name:  IMG_20180329_221412.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  113.5 KB
    This is the large rolling upright suitcase that it all goes into. It is large enough that I can fit both of my SoG play mats into when rolled up and secured.

This configuration works well for the most part for local transport to and from my home to the local game store for game play.

If I were to travel via airline, I could check this bag in as luggage. I would of course secure the ships into their slots with perhaps cotton wadding or something to keep them from rattling around in their pockets.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

I do something very similar for my Wings of Glory WW1 & WW2 game.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very neat and compact system in your rolling case Daniel.
    I must admit that although my Wings are well traveled by air, I have never attempted to take my Sails abroad yet.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Default Good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by robbage View Post
    Good for you, Chris; this is a subjective call for some of us when all is said and done. Looks like a practical solution to me and that is most of the issue right there. I just know I could not abide that soft blue foam, in any case. Have had soft foam before with miniatures and while it seems a better much for metal figures, I just don't much like it aesthetically.

And Eric, am thinking about magnetic storage options also. If there were a nifty way to field the cards/log along with the ships, I might consider it. Sometimes just knowing that there are one or two fewer steps from the urge to play to getting everything to the table is enough to carry the day.

Currently, I've got ships in clear Ultra Pro cases, one per ship with all cards and logs. It has merit, but the cards do lean in against the ship. Until I get a windfall of Dry Docks, it will have to do.

Name:  IMGP8043.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  128.6 KB
    I have a friend who stores his Star Wars X-Wing smaller ships in this manner. Seems to work well for him. His larger ships he keeps in their original boxes where possible.
    All of it goes into a much larger 30 + Qt sized storage container.