Thread: Cigar Box Naval Gaming Mats

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default Cigar Box Naval Gaming Mats

So, having given up the futile effort of trying to buy two Ares Sails of Glory gaming mats -- they are simply unavailable and I was recently outbid for a king's ransom on Ebay for one -- I decided to look elsewhere as I wanted to try to be ready for the 2018 solo campaign when it starts (it will be my first go at this sort of thing). I found and ordered the Cigar Box naval gaming mats -- they have two versions a cold water mat (for Atlantic battles) and a warm water mat (for Mediterranean, Caribbean, and Pacific battles). They measure approximately 4x6 feet and are printed on a felt that resembles a light blanket. As such they are light weight, easily folded and transported. They also produce them in a circular mat if the rectangular design doesn't fit your table. I've enclosed pictures of the mats and a link to the Cigar Box store for your information. I discovered (and really liked) Cigar Box mats a number of years ago when I purchased their Waterloo and Quatra Bras mats when running a couple of large scale DBN (De Bellis Napoleonicis) events for the 200th anniversary of the battle of Waterloo. The naval mats are $64 a piece.

http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel.com/products

Cold Water mat:
    Name:  Naval gaming mat 1.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  228.0 KB

Warm Water mat:
    Name:  Naval gaming mat 2.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  146.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very fine they look indeed Bill and for once a decent size of mat for your buck.
    Pity they don't back them with North sea on one side and Med on the other. But then we can't have everything.
    i went along similar lines when I got my mat from Dunelm Mill. I just did not like the grid printed on the official mats, and I also got far more for my money especially as they had a sale on at the time.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I'll have to check these out. I have the Waterloo mat (used it for a 200th anniversary refight as well).

The one thing I don't like about the SoG mats is having the seam when you have four together for a big battle.